cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to cancel a port request: Rogers to PublicMobile

mjl100
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi All.

- My original rogers company phone was an iPhone.  I recently quit my job, but they allowed me to keep the phone number.

- I bought a new phone/sim and registered it with publicmobile,  I then transferred the rogers iPhone number to my new publicmobile phone.

- The company I worked for, called me saying they are unable to give the old iPhone to a new employee, and are hit with a cancellation fee.  They need PublicMobile to "Remove the request to port out the line" or "Remove the port request".  

This will enable my ex company to have Rogers retain the iPhone and give it to their new employee with a new phone number...meanwhile I can then reactivate my Publicmobile phone and keep the old number.  

Is there anyone here who can help me on this?  I have several people waiting to have this phone number issue resolves. 

Thanks.

20 REPLIES 20

@mjl100 

I think what has happened is the iPhone was under contract with a device subsidy. Once you ported out the account is automatically closed and an ECF ( early cancellation fee) is incurred for the remaining amount of the device subsidy. However since this is a postpaid account and your former employer surely has several business accounts working under the same manner it should be easy for Rogers to simply transfer the contract to a new account or reopen the same account with a new phone number for the employee receiving the iPhone and carry on as is.

This is simply a misunderstanding on how porting out a number works both on your side and the employer's side. Rogers should not make a big deal out of reopening the account and continuing the contract as before as its a simple matter of "paperwork" on their part. This could have been avoiding by informing Rogers ahead of the port to assign a new number once they approved the port out of your number. It shouldnt be a big deal to do it the other way around. Rogers simply needs to provide some good customer service to your employer.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@mjl100 wrote:

- My original rogers company phone was an iPhone.  I recently quit my job, but they allowed me to keep the phone number.

- I bought a new phone/sim and registered it with publicmobile,  I then transferred the rogers iPhone number to my new publicmobile phone.

- The company I worked for, called me saying they are unable to give the old iPhone to a new employee, and are hit with a cancellation fee.  They need PublicMobile to "Remove the request to port out the line" or "Remove the port request".  

This will enable my ex company to have Rogers retain the iPhone and give it to their new employee with a new phone number...meanwhile I can then reactivate my Publicmobile phone and keep the old number.

I've seen this story play out a few times before. The happiest endings were found by paying the penalty to buy out the contract then selling the unwanted device to someone on craigslist/etc. Yes, you lose - even that compromise costs time, money, and hassle - but the losing move isn't escaping the trap, it was stumbling into the trap in the first place.

The "new employee" can provide his/her own phone, no? Indeed, anyone can walk out of the store with a shiny new working phone in their pocket right now today - paying nothing or very little up front - by signing the contract.

mjl100

Thank you everyone for all your replies.

This was a very strange technical issue which having someone at PublicMobile to talk to would have made a world of a difference.  

In the meantime, Rogers is left holding the bag, but that old iPhone will still be used under Rogers, so a cancellation fee should be voided.  

Again:  Thanks for all your insight and suggestions.  Asking Rogers to fix the problem seems like the better solution right now.

Happy new year everyone. 

@mjl100 wrote:

"That's a nice situation to be in. Don't burn any bridges. But nor should you be out your own hard-earned money. The employer has everything (except the phone number). Rogers should be able to just move over any commitments to a new account and carry on with the employer."

I'm hoping Rogers does right and fixes the problem.

If it comes down to it, I'll pay the cancellation fee.  My ex employer has the very best team in the business.  They've been nothing but amazing to me all these past years,  I can't leave them like this. 

@mjl100  - shame you would be stuck with the cancellation fee. Hopefully, someone can find someone reasonable at Rogers to switch the new employee/SIM card to the continued contract.

mjl100

"That's a nice situation to be in. Don't burn any bridges. But nor should you be out your own hard-earned money. The employer has everything (except the phone number). Rogers should be able to just move over any commitments to a new account and carry on with the employer."

I'm hoping Rogers does right and fixes the problem.

If it comes down to it, I'll pay the cancellation fee.  My ex employer has the very best team in the business.  They've been nothing but amazing to me all these past years,  I can't leave them like this. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mjl100 : That's a nice situation to be in. Don't burn any bridges. But nor should you be out your own hard-earned money. The employer has everything (except the phone number). Rogers should be able to just move over any commitments to a new account and carry on with the employer.

mjl100

"To go back on Rogers with a new number they need to choose from the plans available right now. I think your old company IT guy needs to talk to Rogers Loyalty deptt. to get the best plan for the new phone number."

This was the solution I suggested to me old company.  I told them that if Rogers gives them any grief, I will personally pay for the cancellation fee.  My old company has been nothing but amazing to me and it saddens me to leave, but the reasons were unrelated to them. 

mjl100

"

It seems the account that you used with the employer was on a time commitment. You're done and gone as offered by the employer. It should not be your problem that the account had a commitment. That is where they're concerned. Now they're facing an early termination penalty. Not your problem technically. I would say they should leave it as a cost of doing business and letting someone go (assuming let go).

How much is this penalty?"

It's absolutely nothing like that.  They are an absolutely fantastic employer and my leaving was completely unrelated.  They've been nothing but family to me, and it pains me that they might be hit with this.

I told them that it's best they contact Rogers and see if Rogers will waive the cancellation and chalk it up as an honest mistake.  Hopefully Rogers will do right by them and fix the problem.  

It tears me apart knowing my old company might be left holding the bag on anything.  They were there for me all these years and were only the very best. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

The employer has possession of the phone. The account got closed on the permitted port-out. You're done and gone as permitted.

I don't know why Rogers can't have the employer set up a new account with SIM and phone number and attach the rest of the time commitment to that account.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mjl100 

when you do Transfer your number do you reply: YES. for that SMS. 

if so you can just answer No, to your port request is will be canceled. 

better way you need to Contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, and Explain your issue to them can solve your issue, they are nice Service Team they will help you 100%.

Here’s How To Contact Customer Support Agent

• you can send a private message to Customer Support Agent by Click Here link,
  • please include in your message,
  • phone number,
  • Email address,

• Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, will Response to your inbox by private message 
  • During business hours, we strive to answer customer messages swiftly. You will often get an answer within an hour. During peak periods, you may need to wait up to 48 hours.Customer Support Agents are available:
    • Monday to Sunday: 6 AM to 10 PM EST
    • Note: Public Mobile No Support by phone call or Email.. only by CS_Agentprivate message..

Check your private message inbox (click on the envelope top right of your screen)

Good Luck...

@mjl100 wrote:

"Do you have working services on your Public Mobile SIM card right now? Incoming calls and everything? If so, sounds complete."

Yes, everything works on my new phone, cellular, data, etc and it is under my old Rogers number.

The problem is this:  Rogers is classifying this as a 'cancellation' and can't hand the account over to the company I just let, until the "Port request canceled".  So the account will temporarily be back with Rogers long enough to set up a new phone number for another person.

Right now, my old employer is stuck with an iPhone that has a cancellation charge on it and they are unable to transfer it to a new account.

@mjl100 If Rogers is anything like Public Mobile, once you successfully port out of that provider, that old account is closed.

I am not sure how you would be able to keep the phone number if they were going to change the phone number and give the phone to someone else at the company. 

Once they would have changed the phone number on the Rogers account, yours would have been GONE - and you would not have been able to port it over to Public Mobile.

Are you sure the cancellation fee is not connected to the phone itself, was it on a TAB?

That is a strange one...you can inquire about this with CSA (Public Mobile Customer Support Representatives) links found in 2nd post of this thread. But I don't see how you can keep your phone number if port back to Rogers, that get the number changed...

mjl100

"Do you have working services on your Public Mobile SIM card right now? Incoming calls and everything? If so, sounds complete."

Yes, everything works on my new phone, cellular, data, etc and it is under my old Rogers number.

The problem is this:  Rogers is classifying this as a 'cancellation' and can't hand the account over to the company I just let, until the "Port request canceled".  So the account will temporarily be back with Rogers long enough to set up a new phone number for another person.

Right now, my old employer is stuck with an iPhone that has a cancellation charge on it and they are unable to transfer it to a new account.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mjl100 : It seems the account that you used with the employer was on a time commitment. You're done and gone as offered by the employer. It should not be your problem that the account had a commitment. That is where they're concerned. Now they're facing an early termination penalty. Not your problem technically. I would say they should leave it as a cost of doing business and letting someone go (assuming let go).

How much is this penalty?

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mjl100 wrote:

To be very clear: 

Rogers Company iPhone:  I am giving this phone back to the company, but they are letting me keep the number.

PublicMobile phone:  I bought a new sim card and today signed up/transferred the number from Rogers to Publicmobile.

The problem is this:  I did it too fast.  My company wanted to give the old iPhone to a new employee along with a new number.  They however didn't want to 'cancel' anything with Rogers.  They simply wanted to transfer the phone to a new person and get a new number.

Rogers said they can't do anything until the 'port request' has been canceled. 

How do I do this?

Hope this makes sense.

Oh the plan they want to keep the old one.

I dont think it can work that way. Once the number is ported out, the account and plan gets kicked out of the system as closed. 

To go back on Rogers with a new number they need to choose from the plans available right now. I think your old company IT guy needs to talk to Rogers Loyalty deptt. to get the best plan for the new phone number. 

@mjl100 wrote:

To be very clear: 

Rogers Company iPhone:  I am giving this phone back to the company, but they are letting me keep the number.

PublicMobile phone:  I bought a new sim card and today signed up/transferred the number from Rogers to Publicmobile.

The problem is this:  I did it too fast.  My company wanted to give the old iPhone to a new employee along with a new number.  They however didn't want to 'cancel' anything with Rogers.  They simply wanted to transfer the phone to a new person and get a new number.

How do I do this?

Hope this makes sense.

@mjl100  It is the phone number that gets ported over to another provider...not the phone itself. So really all you need is the activate SIM card you want to port from, then you should be able to port into another provider's service.

Do you have working services on your Public Mobile SIM card right now? Incoming calls and everything? If so, sounds complete.

Why would you need to cancel the port - sorry, if I am not getting this...

EDIT:

Deregister the phone number on the iphone before you give it back to your old employer:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT203042

Then give them back the phone. They just need to activate another SIM card from whatever provider and insert it into that phone.

mjl100

To be very clear: 

How do I do this?

Hope this makes sense.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mjl100 : Yes the actual phone device itself has nothing to do with your number. Upon porting out the number, the account (or the one in a group account) will be closed along with killing the SIM. They can do whatever they like with the phone. They can start a new account or add a new entry into their group account and get a new SIM and new number for the next employee to use the phone.

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

iPhone or the Rogers number? Not very clear.

anyway if it is number and if the port in request has been complete and you are able to make and receive phone calls on your old rogers number on Public network then ask rogers to port back the number to them from public. It will be a separate request. Once done, your number is back to rogers and your old company can use that number for another employee.

Now after port out, your account with Public will be closed and you need to create another account. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@mjl100  - wait a second, the phone really has nothing to do with this as long as they gave that phone to you unlocked.

IT is the phone number that needs to be activate to port to Public Mobile...but, is it the phone number that you are keeping?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@mjl100 wrote:

Hi All.

Is there anyone here who can help me on this?  I have several people waiting to have this phone number issue resolves. 

Thanks.

@mjl100  - they do not have to approve the port request if they are the owner of the phone number. 

But did someone say YES to port over?

In that case, maybe you do need CSA help.

Two ways to contact CSA:

1- Put in a ticket through SIMon Bot (usually faster method to get in contact with the Public Mobile Customer Support) by clicking on the bottom, right chat bubble.
OR
2- Private message the Customer Support here (slower method): https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.