cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USA roaming add ons

Lisaleonard
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am travelling to USA for two weeks, can I add a roaming option ?

Is 10 days the maximum allotted for an add on?

can I choose a specific day for it to start?

21 REPLIES 21

@G_Pomzz 

for Community id problem, there has been  some problem linking old Community account name for some customers.  PM is aware of this.

Please bravo the Community manager's post here and support will work with you

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/New-Community-Account-Created-After-Eve...

Then open a ticket as well by Private message CS agent at 

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there

G_Pomzz
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I'm Gerry_P but for some reason with the new website I couldn't log in anymore so had to create a new username.

I was just in Texas for about two weeks and my phone worked flawlessly on the T-Mobile network. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : Please note the smiley before 🙂 Your one line still leaves some interpretation. I don't think roaming with VoLTE enabled on a phone and connected to AT&T and them not having 3G in that particular spot will work. But we're waiting to have that proven out.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Anonymous 

I wasn't answering the OP's question which I already replied to but rather @Yummy 's question and since you were unsure about a few things I tagged you to.....no voLTE will not work in the US with a pm sim card if it has not been enabled by pm thru our sim cards to do so....its all or nothing I imagine. So the customers in Winnipeg and Brandon, the more remote parts of Newfoundland and a few other rural areas of this country and pm customers roaming in the US after July 1st 2022 are SOL until telus decides to let pm enable voLTE for its customers......all of its customers.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : Please review the subject line 🙂 So sure maybe it is older SIM's. I guess we'll see. I am still skeptical that having VoLTE enabled on a phone and roaming will work. But we're waiting to hear from our friend Gerry_P. When comes the time that 3G is stopped here then I guess we'll see how things unfold here then.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Yummy @Anonymous 

I suspect our sim cards would not need replacing unless maybe you have a really old sim card. My moto g7+ has voLTE already enabled on it. My A320 ( 2017) and my pixel 3 both have it but it's greyed out. I think that is where the provider has to enable it and it is provisioned thru the sim card.

Once it's enabled thru the provider on your phone then it will work if they offer the service to their customers. I base this on the telus Sonim XP-8 that the bf was using.....voLTE enabled along with a WiFi calling that we discovered works on his phone.....even without an active plan but with telus home internet services.

Since the sunset of the 3G network in Canada is December 2025 we have a long way to go to worry about whether we get voLTE calling and/or if your phone will become obsolete. Your phone will have to be pretty old for that to happen. Even my 2014 Alcatel flip phone has voLTE calling enabled on it (it came from telus) so most customers will not be affected.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

@Anonymousmuch appreciated!!!!

It looks like Samsung S7 does support VoLTE but proper SIM has to be plugged in. Every site I explored mentioned something in this context: 'used with a carrier SIM that supports it'...

I guess we are not there - yet. But when time comes will PM be so generous to provide free SIM replacement?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Yummy : This is something official from the AT&T forum:

The following devices will lose service:

• Any device that does not support the LTE Radio Access Technology (RAT).
  • Any device using an incorrectly configured data/voice module (i.e., 'voice centric' module inside a data only device).
  • Any device reliant on voice services, and does not support VoLTE, will need to be replaced.
  • Any device that supports VoLTE, but is not provisioned in their Communications Plan for IMS services.

Obviously #1 y'gotta have LTE.

I think #2 is for like cell-based internet services like the Telus SmartHub.

#3 obviously the phone has to be able to do VoLTE.

#4 I think is a bit of a kicker. My phone apparently has VoLTE but it's not provisioned somehow. I suspect that's from the provider. It's only ever seen a PM SIM in it. It's likely that to provision that would need to be rooted. Or...see below.

I then found a Philippines provider site that mentioned that to upgrade would need a SIM. So maybe the SIM _is_ in on it. If PM wanted to switch to VoLTE then I guess customers who wish to stay (price increases notwithstanding) would have to get a new SIM.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Yummy : The removal of 3G will obsolete many devices.

That is bad news for many customers... Not everybody has tons of money to change phones every few years.

I will have to do some reading about this VoLTE...

If anybody knows about this I would appreciate your input.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Yummy : The removal of 3G will obsolete many devices. If a device can't do VoLTE then you would have to be reliant on voip apps. What do I know about the inner workings of a cell service but I don't think it's about the SIM card. I think it would be provisioning the VoLTE capability if present. If not then your phone can't talk using cell voice. I haven't done any reading about what people are doing with their phones with AT&T and T-Mobile.

@darlicious wrote:

@Yummy 

Only voice calls won't work. Everything else already works on the 4G LTE network.

Thank you @darlicious and @Anonymous for clarification.

To better understand all this, will my phones Samsung S6 and S7 continue to work with 4G?
Will we be required to get new SIM cards when and if Canada drops 3G?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Yummy 

Only voice calls won't work. Everything else already works on the 4G LTE network.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Yummy : Fido has already declared that they won't do roaming. (last I heard here as a rumour) Unless PM provisions VoLTE and then makes agreements with whichever roaming partner to roam on VoLTE...it won't work. We currently know of one customer reporting from Florida that AT&T is still working though. So who knows how long it will all actually take to finish the "un"roll-out.

@darlicious wrote:

@Yummy 

Exactly. Even 911 won't work once at&t and T-Mobile fully decommission their 3G networks.

Great 😞 So how PM's US add-ons will work then?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Yummy 

Exactly. Even 911 won't work once at&t and T-Mobile fully decommission their 3G networks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lisaleonard : It's a non-intuitive two steps. You need to deposit money first and then buy the add-on. The first step _looks_ like you've bought and paid for the add-on but you've only actually just deposited the money. You need to go back and finalize the purchase.

It will be active immediately. Set your phone to whatever roaming options and set it to connect to T-Mobile. You might have some luck with AT&T.

Some say to do a restart but that's not been my experience.

Lisaleonard
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have had troubles with addons before 

When I choose and purchase and the card is processed there seems to be a step that I miss and the add on is not processed fully 

Once i purchase the add on - how  do I activate it ? to use it imediately

@darlicious wrote:

in areas no longer served by the 3G network which will eventually include all areas served by at&t and T-Mobile.

So what that exactly means? PM's US talk add-on will not work in US anymore? Just trying to understand implications of US removing 3G.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Lisaleonard 

You have no idea the torture I just went thru to get this info back from thin air....I hope it helps!

Here is some info about US roaming add ons that should help you.....

1. While you have to have an active plan to purchase and use US roaming add ons the type of plan you have does not affect the roaming add ons features.
  2. US roaming add ons start the moment you confirm and submit your purchase in your self serve account and expire 240 hours later (10 days×24 hours).
  3. You can pre-load the funds needed to purchase the add ons in your self serve account so you only have to log in, select the US roaming add on and then confirm and submit your purchase.
  4. Wait til late as possible to purchase since they are immediately valid so on free wifi at the destination airport or stopping shortly before the border at mcd's or timmy's to buy the add on while on free wifi.
  5. If you are staying longer than 10 days you must wait a minimum of 24 hours to purchase the same US roaming add on or contact the moderators to add it before the waiting period ends.
  6. If you have two US roaming add ons with a talk feature that overlap the talk feature basically gets disabled. Avoid this....but you will have to get one removed by a moderator to get your calling feature back if this happens.
  7. After purchase reboot your phone and manually select either at&t or T-mobile to get better reception. Some areas have better coverage by either provider so when travelling around the US you will be better served by choosing the provider with better signal strength by locale.
  8. You will recieve incoming texts without any US roaming add ons. Adding the fongo app and textnow app for use on wifi are good to use for a back up plan or you could call forward your pm phone # to your fongo # before you leave Canada and purchase just the US data roaming add on. Fongo also works on mobile data (1 min=0.5mb/100 min=50mb) so you could still recieve incoming pm texts, recieve incoming pm calls to your fongo #/app, outgoing calls from your fongo number and outgoing  texts from textnow for free or small fee from fongo.
  9. All US roaming add ons have either unlimted text, talk or both. Only data has limits depending on your purchase 250mb/500mb/1gb. Once the data is consumed it will just stop you could then purchase different roaming add on, wait 24 hr to buy or contact the moderator to buy the same US roaming add on again. (* except talk as previously mentioned.)

Happy travels and Stay--Safe!

Please note currently due to the decommissioning of the 3G network in the US by pm's roaming partners at&t has already begun this process but as of March 3rd 2022 still has some areas that are still served by the 3G network. T-Mobile has an end date of July 1st 2022. This will affect the ability of pm customers to send and receive voice calls and emergency service such as 911 while in the US and using pm's US roaming add ons. The current work around is to download a voip app such as textnow or fongo for use while on wifi or mobile data for voice calls when in areas no longer served by the 3G network which will eventually include all areas served by at&t and T-Mobile.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Lisaleonard 

You can make a 10 day roaming purchase on the day you are leaving to the USA just incase there are problems with your trip plans.

But we have optional solutions if you want.

Anonymous
Not applicable

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

3. No.

The add-ons expire exactly 240 hours after purchase. Think about buying them at the top of an hour so it's easier to keep track of when it will expire. When you're ready to go for more come back and we can explain some options.

Need Help? Let's chat.