US add on won't work

Switch3191
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Why won't my Us add on work I paid for it

7 REPLIES 7

Meow
Mayor / Maire

According to Public Mobile:

PM will have T-mobile 2G network for US talk. Try to manually connect to T-mobile.

Roaming is for Data only. Voice and SMS text will still work.

Data will work on LTE, but will switch over to 2G to make a call.

However, the quality of service will vary depending on the different coverage areas when roaming in the USA.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Switch3191 

Which add on did you purchase? Where are you in the US? If you cannot give immediate feedback so we can help troubleshoot the issues you are having you can find some explanations and answers in the following thread.....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

Read the original post and the above update. The cell mapper link gives you an interactive map to locate the nearest cell towers with the 2G network. It's important to understand that in rural and low population density areas of the US network coverage is poorly served by all of the US network providers especially in the west.  Connectivity in urban areas to the 4G LTE network shouldn't be a problem only your voice services using the 2G network will have coverage issues again mostly in the west but also in certain parts of Florida, Maine and West Virginia. Use a voip provider app such as textnow for voice calls in areas not served by the 2G network if you have purchased US Roaming data add ons or as part of a roaming bundle.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

If roaming and not long-distance then is this a re-buy or the first roaming add-on for this trip? If you bought the roaming add-on and are actually in the states then be sure you're connected to T-Mobile. Maybe your phone is set to non-automatic network scanning. Data and text should work fine. Talk is the problem. What specific make and model is the phone? We've been reading about some devices not being able to drop down to 2G/GSM.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Switch3191 

I've found that manually selecting T-Mobile as your preferred network is best.

I've found that talk will work in larger US communities but reliability diminishes in rural areas.

If you have the text add-on, it should work just fine. As a matter of fact, you'll still receive text messages, even without a text add-on...you just won't be able to respond.

When you get back home, send a message to CSA and ask for credit to your account...if you can't get the talk function to work successfully.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Switch3191 wrote:

Why won't my Us add on work I paid for it

@Switch3191 Which US add on did you buy? The roaming ones only work in the US and the US long distance minutes work to call the US from Canada.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Switch3191 - try restarting your phone.

NOTE:

If you are talking about USA Roaming addons, these only work whilst in the USA.

If you are talking about US calling from Canada that is a different addon.

Which addon are you talking about, and which country are you calling from?

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Switch3191 @Is it connected to T-Mobile 

Need Help? Let's chat.