cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming

cjan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am going to Florida for March break, and was going to purchase the US roaming add on. But PM has an announcement on their site saying that US roaming won't necessarily work. I'm not really that tech savvy, so I'm wondering if I am in fact interpreting this correctly. If this is in fact the case, what are my best and easiest options to be able to talk with my cell phone in the US? A google search tells me to do one of the following:1.Something about VOIP, or 2. get a us SIM card. I'm not too familiar with how to go about doing either of these options. Any advice? Thanks.

44 REPLIES 44

cjan

Thanks for your responses! Based on everyone's advice, I think I will get the 15 day US roaming talk/text/data bundle. Hopefully the voice calls on available 2g will work fine. We are driving down, so I just want a way to confidently make voice calls in case of a roadside emergency. If I download textnow, I can use data (from the addon) to make a voice call instead of using a wifi signal correct? I think this will be my plan.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@cjan 

Personally, if you're going to be generally in an area with reliable Wi-Fi, just use your device's native RCS options (iMessage or Chat) to carry on SMS-like messaging with anyone.

There's also Facetime, and Duo, and the such for making web-based video or audio calls.

Granted, the above options are limited to reliable Wi-Fi.

I use TextNow. I also recently got a service called Red Pocket Mobile. I had it sent to the hotel I was staying at. But remember that voip and another us service are all a different phone number. You can forward your number to Textnow though. Don't let the public sim see a us tower though or the forwarding will break.

Forwarding texts is a whole lot trickier but doable.

As has been already mentioned though, roaming should be fine but talk is the flaky part. I was in West Maui and it was fine. We hear some reports of areas that have NO T-Mobile service. They simply aren't there. You may experience that.

@cjan wrote:

Thanks.

1. Can you recommend a good VOIP app for me to download? I have whatsapp, but I don't know if that is what you are talking about.

2. So if I got another SIM card while down there, I would just choose a pay-as-you go plan? You don't need a US address to sign up for this while down there?

@cjan 

if you have whatsapp, you should be ok using wifi at resort, cafe and McD's...you'll only be able to call / text people who are also whatsapp'ers.

Depending on how long you plan on being there...I'd invest in the Public Mobile 15 Day US Roaming Unlimited talk/text bundle for $15. Text should be fine. If you let us know what make and model phone you have, we can show you how to prepare ahead of time. You'll have to know how to manually select T-Mobile as the preferred network for the phone to work. It's EZ to learn with our help we'll get you there.

sp

Meow
Mayor / Maire

According to Public Mobile:

PM will have T-mobile 2G network for US talk. Try to manually connect to T-mobile.

Roaming is for Data only. Voice and SMS text will still work.

Data will work on LTE, but will switch over to 2G to make a call.

However, the quality of service will vary depending on the different coverage areas when roaming in the USA.

If you really have to be in contact with somebody while in USA, download and install TextNow: get free Canadian phone number and use it for calls/SMS whenever WiFi is available.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@cjan  Yes target the air port or anywheres they sell SIM cards . pick up a prepaid SIM card for your duration … it’s what I’d do personally 

LoveNature
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@cjan 

if you want to buy it prepaid US SIM card get this,

name:   Jethro Mobile USA Sim Card,

cjan

Thanks.

1. Can you recommend a good VOIP app for me to download? I have whatsapp, but I don't know if that is what you are talking about.

2. So if I got another SIM card while down there, I would just choose a pay-as-you go plan? You don't need a US address to sign up for this while down there?

LoveNature

@cjan 

is will be working on T-Mobile, i think for voice 2G and for data 4G,

cjan

Ok thanks - I've done that in the past, but I'm just concerned that the 3g network apparently doesn't work in the US anymore.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Talk is where the problem is. If there is T-Mobile 2G in that area then you should be able to use talk. Text and data should be fine.

VoIP is an app that needs the internet whether by wifi or cell data.

Getting a US cell service is a matter of finding them in many larger stores and signing up a service. Very much like you would have done signing up here.

cjan

Do you mean just go to Target or something and buy a sim card? Do I have to sign up for a plan though? Is there a simcard/company you can recommend? I'm not too familiar with how it works - it sounds easy, but I'm getting old haha.

LoveNature

Hi @cjan 

when you visit US then purchase Add-ons,
go to your account and Add-ons and there choose which Add-ons you like to buy it,,

when enter US then go to your setting network and manually put it to T-Mobile, and rebooting device.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@cjan  If I were you I’d just get local sim in your destination be cheaper and more reliable 

Need Help? Let's chat.