cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATE. Possible merging between Public and Koodo Prepaid?

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
  1. Link:

https://mobilesyrup.com/2022/05/04/public-mobile-100-ercent-online-only/

The wording is confusing but some are speculating a possible merging of the 2 brands?

Update: a small excerpt from the article suggests this:

"Additionally, as of May 3rd, Koodo Prepaid will be available alongside Public Mobile, which means the two brands will overlap for a time until July 13th."

15 REPLIES 15

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

I see this as Public Mobile going back to it's Origins.  Online model only no retail activations

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

I don't see no longer being able to activate at a store to as reason to say anything about a possible merger.  People have been saying  things about a merger for years, and I don't believe that the writer of the Mobile Syrup has any reason nor any new information that leads to that conclusion.  I believe that the exit from retail actually means that such a merger is less likely.  Public Mobile focusing being entirely online-only further differentiates Public Mobile from Koodo Mobile.  

The article does not give a verifiable source. I'm not sure what anybody from Public would openly state at this time.

Someone on the Koodo Community thinks

What this means is that Public can no longer be activated in-store (at places such at The Mobile Shop, OSL/Walmart Wireless, Glentel/TBooth/Wireless Wave, etc). Customers will only be able to buy the SIM card there, they'll have to activate it online. 

@J_PM can you confirm if this is true?  As of July 13, there will be no more in-store activation?  Or can you comment on exactly what it meant by PM will be fully online that day and what it meant by " Koodo Prepaid will be available alongside Public Mobile, which means the two brands will overlap for a time until July 13th."    Would our Kodoo Prepaid friends come over to join our party here?

Maybe after all, there is really no change on both side of the fence   .. (other than PM formally closing those kiosk)

softech_0-1651777833129.png

Maybe the writer got mixed up

I guess the reason to offer Koodo Prepaid (and Telus prepaid) is to make it them look good for offering the cheap alternatives while keeping their focus on high end plans.  That is definitely overlapping the market that PM focusing on.   

Maybe with the CRTC requirement for offering Postpaid occasional-use plans, maximum $15, Telus really no need to offer similar postpaid plan with Koodo.  Hence, it is a nature move to bring everything to one roof. 

If it turns out PM is keeping all the postpaid plans (better be, or we will be chatting in the Koodo Community comes July 13), it is not bad for us.  At least we know Telus is keep this bus running.   With 3G going away soon, we will see VoLTE here sooner than later then.

LeePublic

I've checked out the plans on Koodo Prepaid, they look almost the same as PM except for Public Points program and the lack of 4G speed plans.

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Koodo is likely the more well known brand though I'd think 

LeePublic

@hTideGnow I think you are right. Koodo Prepaid could fold into Public Mobile.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @LeePublic , 

I think it is Koodo Prepaid coming over.   PM has revamp the Community this year and just introduced Public Points, I think Telus is keep PM with all these moves.   

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Hmmm I hope they clarify and clear up what the future is going to look like here.

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Yeah, not sure what that means. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Geez, I had 1 account come from koodo. I'd be fine going back to Koodo on the same rate. 😁

No retail stores eh? 🤔

But still vouchers available to purchase? What about instant top ups? 

So many questions...

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Take a look at the competition.  If Chatr and Lucky brands are assimilated, then so will Public Mobile.  

softech
Oracle
Oracle

I thought Koodo Prepaid is already along side with PM ,what is the actual meaning for 

Koodo Prepaid will be available alongside Public Mobile as of May 3rd??

So PM going 100% online.  It was 99.99 online already from long time.  The only news we have here is that PM is closing all its Kiosks.  But they only have .. how many?  5 across Canada?  and Many were already "temporary closed" since Covid.  So, there is really not much new info on that 100% online part 

Need Help? Let's chat.