cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U.S. roaming in New England

MichelR666
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

This has been discussed elsewhere, but within the same thread(s) I've seen contradictory answers (though it could just be a typo, based on the wording).

I'm on the 5 GB/$40 plan. I'm thinking about going to Boston for a few days and will cross into the U.S. from somewhere in Quebec. There's the whole 3G shutdown thing in the U.S. (which I believe is a done deal). My understanding is that, for data, Public Mobile uses 4G/LTE(?) and the only "3G" thing about it is that they limit the speed to 3G speeds. Based on that, am I right to believe that I should not have any problems using data while I'm in the New England states? While I can certainly disconnect for a few days, I've become addicted to having Google Maps or Waze helping along with directions! (I haven't had to use a map in.... well... a long time).

It does look like voice is still 3G and therefore would not work. Correct? I don't really expect to need it, but I guess if data is not an issue I could just use a softphone with my VoIP line. And, of course, getting a roaming package before leaving.

Thanks,
Michel

6 REPLIES 6

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@MichelR666 

You may find this post helpful as it contains some updated info on US Roaming for pm customers and a link to network coverage by provider and country.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

MichelR666

Ooooh OK, thanks. I had no idea you could do that. Last time I went out of Canada was in 2006 and I only had a flip-phone with Bell (which I didn't even use while in the U.S.) Simpler times. lol

@MichelR666  your phone usually will try to access which ever network it can connects to 

But in this case, when you try to roam, do not leave the network selection with Automatic.  Change to manual and see which network the phone sees.  If you see T-Mobile, click on it and connect

in terms or 2G/3G/4G, your phone's Preferred network  type settings should switch automatically.  That should be enough most the time, especially for Data.  But if you have connected to T-Mobile and voice does not work still, you can try to change the preferred network type to 2G and see if that helps the voice calls

MichelR666

When you say, "Try to access T-Mobile"... Well, stupid question, I guess, but how does one do that?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@MichelR666   

Yes, 3G or 4G plan is just a difference between the speed, not really about the access to 3G or 4G network.  BOTH 3G and 4G plans have access to 3G or 4G network

In the US roaming case:  

3G shutting is in progress still.  There should be area still with 3G network, getting less and less as days go by 

Data: would have no problem AS LONG AS you can access AT&T and T-Mobile network.  

Voice: As long as there is still AT&T or T-Mobile 3G network, you can access voice

And  good news is that T-Mobile still have 2G network covering many part US, which our voice will work

So, try to access T-Mobile there, your phone will change to 2G for voice if the network is there

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@MichelR666  - coverage is showing in Boston/New England:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/coverage

Review this Get Help Article and Roaming and things for reference prior to your travels:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/us-roaming#:~:text=Troubleshooting%20U.S.%20Roam...

Need Help? Let's chat.