cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U.S Roaming is not working

yasseraa
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, 

I already purchased U.S Roaming today March 18th,  $30 for 15 days, including text, talk and 3Gb of data but and I can't make any call. I can see the T-mobile network but when try to call show a msg that the network is not available or connected. I did restar the cellphone and selected manually the T-mobile network and still the problem persist, the other network, AT&T is not possible even get connected. Any idea? It is really frustrating...Thanks for your help,

Yasser

15 REPLIES 15

@NoRoamingInPS- Is your account enabled on volte? Are you calling in and out? Do you see if it drops to 2G on those calls? Do you see any volte indicators anywhere?

Oh yeah, that was definitely your problem. The US doesn't have a 3G network anymore. I would recommend always leaving your phone on auto or LTE, even at home. 

NoRoamingInPS
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I set my phone to LTE and that worked. 

I found that sometimes the phone needed to be set to 2G. Other times the phone was able to drop down to 2G automatically. Yes unfortunately some phones don't have a 2G setting. One has to hope the phone will drop down as needed.

Talk and text work on 2G. Data and text work on 4G. I'd be interested in your findings with having the phone set on 2G and data roaming on and cell data on whether data works on 2G Edge and if so how well.

Don't bother setting on 3G.

yasseraa

Yeap, I will have to switch between 2G and 3G, LTE when i want to make calls or connect to internet faster. For now as you say the public mobile costumer has to wait until the company upgrade the services. Thanks for all your help

In Canada on Public Mobile we've historically used data on LTE but when we make phone calls we fallback to 3G because Public Mobile does not offer VoLTE for calls. With 3G being a requirement for calls, and with the US shutting down their 3G networks, that puts us Public Mobile customers in a bit of a pickle when we try to roam in the US (for calls specifically).

Some of us have just recently been upgraded to VoLTE, so US roaming for calls should work for us. Public Mobile will be upgrading customers to VoLTE in phases over the next few months, and when that happens you should be able to make calls in the US with a roaming add on. 

In the meantime some have reported that switching to 2G (assuming there is 2G T Mobile service) is a workaround to make calls. But to your point, when you're in 2G mode you won't have very fast data, so you may want to switch back and forth when you need to make calls. For me, my Pixel 5A actually didn't have a 2G mode, so that workaround didn't work for me. For others it has though. 

Good luck. If it ends up not working I'm sure you could contact Public Mobile and request a partial refund on your roaming package. 

yasseraa

Ok, I already switched to 2G network and now I can make and receive calls. Thanks everybody!

yasseraa

Yes, the data and sms works, no the calls, I've read about that but that means even 4G/LTE don't work? I'll try to switch to 2G network and try to make a call and see what happens, thanks

yasseraa

You are right, enable the data roaming is just to use the data without wifi connectivity 

yasseraa

Yes, the data roaming is enabled, thanks

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Does data and SMS work? It's probably because the US has shut down their 3G network which is required to make phone calls with Public Mobile. Unless you've been switched to Voice over LTE, that's probably your issue. You could try forcing a connection to a 2G network and see if that lets you make a call. 

yasseraa

I did, and still not working, but thanks

@BKNS27 wrote:

@yasseraa 

Is the Data Roaming enabled in the Cellular Data Option?

I agree that data roaming needs to be enabled to use data in the U.S.  However, that option has no effect in the ability to make phone calls which is the concern presented by Yasseraa .

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@yasseraa 

Is the Data Roaming enabled in the Cellular Data Option?

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@yasseraa  Manually connect it to T mobile and reboot your phone 

Need Help? Let's chat.