cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble transferring elderly mothers land line to a new cell I will be paying for.

RobertLinden
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm trying to transfer my mothers land line to a public mobile SIM carded cell phone that I will now pay for.  She's 98 but is still is capable of authorizing the use of the number she has been paying for to the cell phone I'm giving her to use which I am paying for. She has no internet or email address and cannot be texted.  She can either be reached on her land line or can show up in person at a Public Mobile kiosk in Burnaby, B.C.   How do I simply make this transfer happen?

8 REPLIES 8

@RobertLinden wrote:

I live six hours away from her and need to return home in two days.  I need to get this transfer done.  This should not be this hard.

@RobertLinden   porting a line line would take longer than 2 days for sure.  So, plan your time, it could be 3 to 7 business days depends on the complexity 

Also, once moved to PM mobile from landline, just make sure you check every month and confirm Autopay doesn't fail.  Or maybe add fund ahead of the renewal date.

Since mobile could have different problem, also consider VoIP solution, it is around $5 to $10 depends on the provider.  Popular one are Primus, Fongo Home.  They are more reliable, as long as the internet works.

@gpixel wrote:

I would choose a different provider. you are risking a lot to save a little bit. I would go with a Koodo plan where you can talk with customer support. Koodo prepaid also has the same plans as PM. plus with the new points system you aren't saving much. you don't want to have an emergency and then all of a sudden she has no service. if one manually prepays ahead of time every month I can see it being reliable. but, if you're not taking this route I suggest a different provider.

@gpixel 

@RobertLinden 

High light in red is a very key point to avoid auto pay failure that can happen. I do it on all 3 accounts we have...and no issues. 

@softech wrote:

@RobertLinden   honest, PM is a mobile phone, mobile phone might not be a perfect solution for senior.  Landline is more reliable.  

@softech 

@RobertLinden 

Good point. My MIL is pretty much blind and somewhat deaf. I set up her  iPhone to make calls using SIRI of which works perfectly if she will accept this kind of technology and actually use it. It will tell you the time and weather if you ask  as well.  

Another option is to move forward with the port and use the SIM in a ZTE box that is attached to her land line hand set. It works perfectly on our Panasonic wireless phone set. 

MrSpock
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

hi once you buy a sim  during activation take a temp number once activated go into your self serve account under change number go to transfer a wire or wireless line from another provider  that's where you do it it takes 3 to 5 days for port to complete keep your landline account active till port is complete she will still be able to use her landline until it is complete they will also probably call her on here landline to see if she wants to transfer her line

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@RobertLinden wrote:

I'm trying to transfer my mothers land line to a public mobile SIM carded cell phone that I will now pay for. 

The process will take about a week. Split services may occur.  Find out her land line details like exact name, address, account number, phone number and PIN number. If land line and other stuff is with Telus she can authorize you to speak on her behalf. You can make inquiries, changes, and negotiate....but cannot cancel services.  

She's 98 but is still is capable of authorizing the use of the number she has been paying for to the cell phone I'm giving her to use which I am paying for.

I do similar for 94 year old mother in law. Once you sign up with PM...get a PM number working first then do a port online in My Account and the port will close her land line account. Make sure her land line is fully paid up for a week or more. 

She has no internet or email address and cannot be texted. 

There might not be an authorization for the port out. Ask the land line provider before hand of what their requirements are to port out. 

She can either be reached on her land line or can show up in person at a Public Mobile kiosk in Burnaby, B.C.   How do I simply make this transfer happen?

As mentioned above. You can do all online. Make sure you screen print each step and write down...pin, address, name used, account number, start date. 

Don't forget get to check for promos and get a referral code to save a onetime $15. 

RobertLinden
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm very happy with MY Public Mobile account and I've bought my mother a "Seniors" cell phone (large numbers, emergency button, etc) and I simply want to know the mechanism for transferring the land line number she paid for onto a second account I now have at Public Mobile to pay for the plan that she will now use.

I live six hours away from her and need to return home in two days.  I need to get this transfer done.  This should not be this hard.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

I would choose a different provider. you are risking a lot to save a little bit. I would go with a Koodo plan where you can talk with customer support. Koodo prepaid also has the same plans as PM. plus with the new points system you aren't saving much. you don't want to have an emergency and then all of a sudden she has no service. if one manually prepays ahead of time every month I can see it being reliable. but, if you're not taking this route I suggest a different provider.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@RobertLinden   honest, PM is a mobile phone, mobile phone might not be a perfect solution for senior.  Landline is more reliable.  

But if you decide to transfer from landline,  there is no text required for that.  But transferring from landline to Mobile will usually take longer, 3 to 7 business days.  So, you can go ahead without worrying about the text authentication for the porting

Need Help? Let's chat.