cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling to USA (2+ months)

denjenhart
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi my son is going to be travelling to the USA next week for a month period. What can I do to make sure he has talk text and data enough to get around. I suspect he’ll be using a fair bit of data.

help I need step by step in how to make this happen. I should mention he is with virgin so I’ll be switching him over. Thx!

20 REPLIES 20

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@hTideGnow wrote:

yes, after you turn on Airplane mode, you can turn the Wifi back on

In fact, if you question is just to avoid data, just turn data off or turn roaming data off.

you can turn data off, keep the mobile network on roaming to receive phone calls or sms 

If he stays with Virgin, I assume that Virgin works as Fido and unless you are in Airplane mode (I actually suggest to take out SIM if you want to make sure no charges) you will be charged $9 per day regardless you use it or not (I know from my experience). It is not optional, charges are automatically applied as soon as your phone connects to USA carrier (probably good to check with Virgin). 

Google Maps he can download on WIFI and save them, so he doesn't need data for that to use.  Others mentioned various options so it is really what do you need and willing to pay. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had my first learning experience with the whole prepaid BYOD pay as you go MVNO world using H2O in Hawaii.

Again...it's really actually data that's being sold nowadays. Talk and text come along for the ride really. So clamp down on the mobile data consumption and use the multitudes of wifi connections out there.

Maps can also be downloaded and used offline rather than always on the internet.

Look at this....buy SIM at Walmart USA...BYOD. 

https://www.tracfone.com/shop/plans

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@denjenhart Actually wait, I have a better suggestion. 

Check out fonus.

https://www.fonusmobile.com/

It's 30 USD a month, It works in all of North America. It comes with 25GB of unlimited data and a VoIP app for calling and texting. I wouldn't recommend porting his number over, I recommend making a new canadian one. If you wish you could also call forward his normal number to the fonus Canadian one. 

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@denjenhart I wouldn't bother with Public Mobile for USA roaming. It's way to expensive. 

Mint mobile is your best bet. If your son has a ESIM capable phone, He could also check out AirAlo. It's an app that you download and you can buy US data for cheap. The sim is vitural  so you don't have to worry about buying anything. The fongo app is also really handy. 

Really all you need is some sort of data SIM that's meant for the US and the fongo app. 

@denjenhart 

Yes...he gets the US sim card and puts it in his phone. He may have to configure his APN ( for data) to that providers settings if it doesn't set up automatically. Mint mobile's cheapeast plan includes 3gb per month. He would have to determine which plan suits his needs best. Mint mobile also has a 7 day full refund policy.

denjenhart

And what about data? I know he’ll be wanting that mostly google maps so he can navigate around

denjenhart

So does he just get a US sim and put it in his phone he has now?

@denjenhart 

This is your most affordable option.

Have your son download the fongo app. Sign him up with the pm $15 plan. Call forward his phone to the fongo app/phone number. Remove the pm sim card before he leaves Canada. Have him get a mint mobile sim card and plan. They offer 3 month subscriptions starting at US $15/3gb per month up to $30/unlimited data per month.

He will have unlimited calling/texting in the US and to Canada and Mexico.The fongo app also works on mobile data ( 0.5mb=1min calling/250mb=500 min). He will be able to recieve all incoming calling from his pm phone number and return calls using his canadian fongo number or his US mint mobile number. He just can't recieve any incoming texts from his pm number.

https://www.mintmobile.com/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wifi can be turned on independent of airplane mode.

$9 a day!?

There's a bit of goofiness with the roaming add-ons here. For talk and text and the _same name_ data item, you need to wait out the full 10 days and then some. What we haven't verified (as customers) is how long after those 10 days. It's 10 - 24 hour periods. We know you shouldn't buy talk and text while one is still active. We know it's not immediately after the 10 - 24 hour periods. We wonder if it's after midnight (or next morning if you're not up). We wonder if it's after another 24 hour period. We wonder if it's after yet another midnight .

@denjenhart wrote:

that’s $270/mth!

the US SIM I told you is only $49/month!!  think about it  🙂

yes, after you turn on Airplane mode, you can turn the Wifi back on

In fact, if you question is just to avoid data, just turn data off or turn roaming data off.

you can turn data off, keep the mobile network on roaming to receive phone calls or sms 

denjenhart

But those will still use data right? If he’s airplane mode can he use wifi without being charged?

denjenhart

Do you know if he’s on airplane mode if he can still access wifi and be able to text? Virgin does have a $9/day charge for him to have access to his current plan but that’s $270/mth!

Actually, if you check online, there are stores selling US SIM here.  I browse around briefly I see $49 for 8Gb for LTE speed and slow data after (128kbps).  It include a US phone number.    There might be even better price around if you check.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@denjenhart  if he will be using quite some data, have him to check prepaid plan in US, it is cheaper that way.

I understand you want to keep in touch with him.  Try to connect with him via Apps like whatsapp, FB Chat, etc.  Or you can also use VoIP like Fongo or TextNow 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@denjenhart : I wonder if you should wait to transfer him over to here. I don't know what Virgin's roaming rates are but here they're just for 10 days.

I would recommend he uses wifi as much as he can find it. Turn off all the automatic updates and such on the phone.

denjenhart

I don’t know what that is? Can you just keep adding the 10 days on?

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

I am not aware you can use Canadian cell provider outside of Canada.

I believe he should get USA SIM.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

PM only has US roaming add-ons which are only for ten days.  You may want to look at mint mobile for longer duration plans.  

Here are the PM US roaming add-ons.

10 day packages

U.S. Talk, Text and 250 MB Data bundle: $20
U.S. Talk and Text Bundle: $15
U.S. Talk Only: $8
U.S. Text Only: $8

U.S. Data Only
10 day packages

250 MB: $10
500 MB: $15
1 GB: $20

Need Help? Let's chat.