cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling outside of province

jt123
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I live in Ontario and have province-wide talk. We are traveling next week to BC. I don't forsee needing to make voice calls while away, as we will be with family and can use their phones as needed, or I can text. However, am I still able to receive incoming calls while I am away? I am expecting some phone calls from here in Ontario that may happen while away. I want to make sure I am able to be reached..... or do I need a long distance add-on to receive these calls while away? 

Also, if I pay for a long distance add-on, it is just a one time payment, correct? (i.e. it will not renew each plan cycle)

Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13

choding
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

you have three options:

1. buy lond sitance plan of PM

; you need money.

2. use Keep calling, longdistance time.

; five dollars is enough, but you can't receive a call.

3. use Fongo app if you have data plan.

; Fongo give you a telephone num and call and receive in Canada.

onece a while i used the app, it was a good.

good luck

jt123

Thank you all for the replies! So it sounds like I will be all good to receive calls without the add-on. Appreciate the help!

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Well that's good to know. So provincial calling is basically Canada wide lite. Really only one situation of you calling outside of whatever province you are currently in otherwise receiving calls in any part of the country is free. 

I thought you had to get the add on...so there is a little money saved.

cappaj
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@cappaj wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

@jt123 Technically you are required to purchase a long distance add-on to receive calls when you're outside of your home province. But some people have confirmed receiving calls outside of their home province and without needing a long distance add-on. So you can just go and test it when you're in BC. If you don't get any calls or want to make some calls, purchase a long distance add-on. 

So is the article I linked above wrong then when it says:

"When in Canada and while you still have remaining plan minutes, you can receive calls from anywhere in the world, regardless of whether you have a Long Distance Add-On."

Oh, I drafted that 20 minutes ago and didn't see all the other replies, ignore me!

cappaj

@NDesai wrote:

@jt123 Technically you are required to purchase a long distance add-on to receive calls when you're outside of your home province. But some people have confirmed receiving calls outside of their home province and without needing a long distance add-on. So you can just go and test it when you're in BC. If you don't get any calls or want to make some calls, purchase a long distance add-on. 

So is the article I linked above wrong then when it says:

"When in Canada and while you still have remaining plan minutes, you can receive calls from anywhere in the world, regardless of whether you have a Long Distance Add-On."

Yes, it was found a couple weeks ago in the updated knowledge base.  Some newish poster tot he Community Forum tried to tell me I was lying to users when stating the 'then official  policy' of the Province-Wide plans outside of the home province.

No notice had been posted for an updated KB, nor any link to the new wording.  A 3rd community member found it, and now we know the former quirt is now a fully functioning feature (or too hard to fix the error).

Or PM just decided it was too mch bother to close the loophole and made it a feature instead. Robot wink

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@will13am wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

The current knowledge base says "When in Canada and while you still have remaining plan minutes, you can receive calls from anywhere in the world, regardless of whether you have a Long Distance Add-On."  This is how the calling feature is supposed to work and this is how it works.  Last year when I was in BC, I was able to take calls without dipping into my long distance add-on.  @jt123, enjoy your time in BC.

Oh, they made it clear now! I am sure it was not said before, and it was known as a freebie. 

@NDesai wrote:

The current knowledge base says "When in Canada and while you still have remaining plan minutes, you can receive calls from anywhere in the world, regardless of whether you have a Long Distance Add-On."  This is how the calling feature is supposed to work and this is how it works.  Last year when I was in BC, I was able to take calls without dipping into my long distance add-on.  @jt123, enjoy your time in BC.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

cappaj

@belisch wrote:

You'll need a long distance add-on since you are out of your home province.

The add-on is a one-time payment, not renewed every month.

According to the article I linked above, you don't need an add-on to *receive* calls while out of province - only to make them to number that are outside of the province you are visiting.

So if your home province is Ontario but you're physically in BC - you can make calls to BC numbers and receive calls from anywhere in the world without a LD add-on. It's only if you want to make calls in BC that you'd need the add-on.

cappaj

For full details on how province-wide calling works both in-province and out-of-province, see this KB article (scroll down to "Province-wide Talk and Long Distance Add-Ons"):

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Plans-amp-Add-Ons/ta-p/250167

belisch

You'll need a long distance add-on since you are out of your home province.

The add-on is a one-time payment, not renewed every month.

Need Help? Let's chat.