cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel to US but no incoming txt messages?

sparkaction
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I recently went to the US without a roaming package.  I noticed that I wasn’t receiving any txt messages.  I received all of my txt when I returned home.  Does PM block incoming txt while roaming or was it due to the US sunsetting 3G that caused the issue?

13 REPLIES 13

@dust2dust wrote:

@darlicious- Further to computergeek541 - in my phone, everything that talks about roaming has data accompanying it. It's all about roaming data. That's where overage charges can add up in a hurry. 50¢ or whatever for a text, maybe the same for a minute when it shows up on the next bill are like oh crap right I spent $3.25 on some texts and calling the cab. But not oh crap I just spent $45 on trying to find myself on a map and how to get somewhere. Or whatever.

I always think to myself that saying to turn on roaming here is incorrect. It has no bearing on talk and text. Oh wait..except those fruity thingamajiggers and their instant messaging apps. 🙂

There could be some phones with software that have a togggle for all roaming, although I'm not sure of the purpose of that when a user could simply do a manual selection fo a specific network.  I don't recall the last time (if ever) that I've ever seen a setting to enable or disable roaming.  I suspect that you right that this is something that a few people started saying but then others started incorrectly repeating it.

@darlicious- Further to computergeek541 - in my phone, everything that talks about roaming has data accompanying it. It's all about roaming data. That's where overage charges can add up in a hurry. 50¢ or whatever for a text, maybe the same for a minute when it shows up on the next bill are like oh crap right I spent $3.25 on some texts and calling the cab. But not oh crap I just spent $45 on trying to find myself on a map and how to get somewhere. Or whatever.

I always think to myself that saying to turn on roaming here is incorrect. It has no bearing on talk and text. Oh wait..except those fruity thingamajiggers and their instant messaging apps. 🙂

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 

Thanks I just wasn't sure if it was needed or not but if that setting is specifically just to limit data roaming then I understand it's purpose is solely to prevent expensive overage charges more or less....

sparkaction

My wife’s Telus phone had roaming turned off to prevent any data use.  I was previously on postpaid Roger’s plan and I could also receive txt messages without purchasing a roaming package 

@darlicious wrote:

@dust2dust 

When roaming even without a roaming plan or add on do you not have to have roaming enabled even to receive SMS texts? If so this would be the OP's issue as the above post indicates?

Just want to confirm this as I have never needed to roam with public mobile. And it's my thought that whatever the service you are wanting to roam with be it text, talk or data you would need roaming enabled versus just needing it enabled to use mobile data.

Most phones don't have a settting to specifically disable all roaming, but only for disabling data roaming.  Data roaming doensn't need to be eanbled to receive SMS while roaming.  Data isn't part of the SMS protocol. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@sparkaction 

Well I have asked for confirmation on this I do believe you need roaming enabled in order to receive incoming text messages.

Did your wife have her roaming enabled which allowed her to receive incoming text messages? Incoming text messages are always free when roaming because the provider needs to inform the customer when they are roaming or if they exceed their roaming over its charges etc.... so these text messages along with any other incoming is not charged to the customer..... Usually although a customer would need to read the small print to be insured of that. Rather roam like home charges or pay per use charges are initiated by the outgoing texts and the customer deciding to answer an incoming call or make an outgoing call or use data. Incoming text messages are out of the customers control.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

When roaming even without a roaming plan or add on do you not have to have roaming enabled even to receive SMS texts? If so this would be the OP's issue as the above post indicates?

Just want to confirm this as I have never needed to roam with public mobile. And it's my thought that whatever the service you are wanting to roam with be it text, talk or data you would need roaming enabled versus just needing it enabled to use mobile data.

sparkaction

Yes automatic network selection was turned off. I’ll need to check to see if this was the issue next time I’m in the US.  

sparkaction

Data roaming was off on my phone.  I did notice that on my wife’s postpaid Telus phone she was still receiving incoming texts without paying for a roaming plan.  I guess she was technically on an al a cart roaming plan as she would pay per min or txt. 

Meow
Mayor / Maire

As some customers reported before, you should be able to receive SMS in US without any US add-on.

Most likely phone settings was not proper.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@sparkaction Technically, you need the Roaming Text add-on, but somehow incoming text in US always come for free  🙂    So,  if that didn't come, you cannot complain  

Incoming text should have nothing to do with 3G shutdown in US as text can transmit on LTE network.  Was your phone connected to T-Mobile or AT&T when you were in US?

Again, if it came for free , it's good.  If it didn't come, that's by design

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Maybe you have manual networks set. You would have needed to have connected to T-Mobile (or maybe AT&T). It should have worked without an add-on.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Did you enable data roaming on your phone ?  

Without an add-on...one should be able to receive texts...but I've found that about half the time I don't get text messages whilst traveling in Wa state.

Need Help? Let's chat.