cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer number from Ontario to alberta

Albert31
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

hai, I'm planning to transfer my number from Ontario to Alberta, any idea if I can get the same phone number?

19 REPLIES 19

Lol **bleep** If I didn't need the number I've had for years for work I would have just taken an AB # then, these days who cares what area code you have...that be almost 3 bucks a month id save.. Over 30 bucks a year.. Almost one free month at PM a year 🙃

@JL9 wrote:

That seems almost backwards. So can you request an Alberta area code if you live in Newfoundland and pay AB taxes but if you have an NFLD # but can provide proof of Residence in AB you are out of luck? 

correct

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

@JL9The area code of the number decides the provincial tax rate for paying by credit card in the account. If you live in AB you can just get vouchers and pay the provincial rate in the store. Some sellers only charge GST in other provinces. With Canada-wide you can be anywhere and call anywhere. People calling you depends on their own calling plan.

That seems almost backwards. So can you request an Alberta area code if you live in Newfoundland and pay AB taxes but if you have an NFLD # but can provide proof of Residence in AB you are out of luck? 

@JL9 wrote:

Sorry no dice, you can still keep the same number with the Ontario area code, I'm assuming you have Canada wide calling? Also if you are moving to Alberta and make the switch of address etc I believe you will get dinged a little less in tax if I'm not mistaken 

The address associated with the account doesn't determine the sale tax rate. This is solely based on the province of the phone number or the purchase location of retail vouchers.

chainsawcowboy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Albert31 

I do think having a different area code makes no difference these days. I would be inclined to save on the provincial tax. You could look through the options available in your account? Maybe you will luck out?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

My thoughts exactly. Thank you for making the effort to supply the info necessary for the OP to determine if it's possible to fulfill his request.

@Albert31 

Start by calling the different area codes with your 7 digit phone number. If any of them are not in service then go from there to determine if any if them belong to telus. If they do then Contact customer support to see if they are available to claim and see if it's possible to help you out in that regard. If the number us available thru a voip provider then attempt to acquire the number thru them and you can port it in eventually to replace your current phone #.

To contact customer support : Submit a support ticket via SIMon the chat bot Click here 

Or if you cannot submit a ticket via SIMon then Click here   ....for additional member supplied info.

@Yummy wrote:

@hairbag1 wrote:

@Albert31 wrote:

hai, I'm planning to transfer my number from Ontario to Alberta, any idea if I can get the same phone number?

You can change your number to a new Alberta area coded number OR you can just keep using your current Ont area coded number while anywhere in Canada.

That might not be practical for people calling him as not everybody has free Canada wide calls. And it might be confusing - this person lives in AB, why I am calling ON number??

This is old school thinking.  If there was no such thing as long distance, then the area code is just an extension of the 7 digit number.  I don't remember contact numbers anymore.  Look up a name and dial the 10 digit number whatever it is.  

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

What prefix is your number?

The following is just the prefix 200. It's used in many area codes. You could try any of the area codes in AB and your 7 digits and see if anyone answers. Those area codes are 368, 403, 587, 780, 825. Then the challenge is getting it.

204200In ServiceWinnipegFlexITy Solutions Inc
226200In ServiceOrangevilleFido Solutions Inc.
236200In ServiceVancouverIristel Inc.
249200In ServiceEspanolaIristel Inc.
250200In ServiceRevelstokeRogers Communications Canada Inc. (Wireless)
263200AssignedIle-PerrotIXICA Communications Inc.
289200In ServiceAjax-PickeringRogers Communications Canada Inc. (Wireless)
306200In ServiceSaskatoonSaskTel Mobility
343200In ServiceRocklandVideotron Ltd.
354200AssignedBouchervilleIXICA Communications Inc.
365200In ServiceCaledon EastDistributel
367200Available  
368200AssignedCalgaryIXICA Communications Inc.
382200New NPA  
403200In ServiceCalgaryTELUS Mobility
416200In ServiceTorontoBell Mobility
418200In ServiceBaie-St-PaulVideotron Ltd.
428200New NPA  
431200In ServiceWinnipegMTS Inc.
437200In ServiceTorontoTELUS Mobility
438200In ServiceMontrealRogers Communications Canada Inc. (Wireless)
450200In ServiceLes CedresVideotron Ltd.
468200AssignedBishoptonIXICA Communications Inc.
474200Available  
506200In ServiceEdmundstonTELUS Integrated Communications
514200In Service-0Bell Canada
519200In ServiceLondonRogers Communications Canada Inc. (Wireless)
548200In ServiceBelle RiverIXICA Communications Inc.
579200In ServiceLachuteTELUS Quebec
581200In ServiceAlmaIristel Inc.
584200New NPA  
587200In ServiceSherwood ParkIristel Inc.
604200In ServiceNew WestminsterIristel Inc.
613200In ServicePerthTELUS Mobility
639200In ServiceAllanSaskTel Mobility
647200In ServiceTorontoRogers Communications Canada Inc. (Wireless)
672200Available  
683200New NPA  
705200In ServiceMattawaRogers Communications Canada Inc. (Wireless)
709200In ServiceClarenvilleIristel Inc.
742200In ServiceRichmond HillIXICA Communications Inc.
753200Available  
778200In ServiceVancouverIristel Inc.
780200In ServiceEdmontonFreedom Mobile Inc.
782200In ServiceHalifaxBragg Communications Inc.
807200Available  
819200In ServiceSherbrookeIristel Inc.
825200In ServiceEdmontonTELUS
867200In ServiceYellowknifeSSi Micro Ltd.
873200In ServiceSherbrookeVideotron Ltd.
879200New NPA  
902200In ServiceCharlottetownIristel Inc.
905200In ServiceCastlemoreRogers Communications Canada Inc. (Cable)

Sorry no dice, you can still keep the same number with the Ontario area code, I'm assuming you have Canada wide calling? Also if you are moving to Alberta and make the switch of address etc I believe you will get dinged a little less in tax if I'm not mistaken 

@hairbag1 wrote:

@Albert31 wrote:

You can change your number to a new Alberta area coded number OR you can just keep using your current Ont area coded number while anywhere in Canada.

That might not be practical for people calling him as not everybody has free Canada wide calls. And it might be confusing - this person lives in AB, why I am calling ON number??

@Albert31 wrote:

@will13am, yes I meant getting the same 7digits with a different area code, which not possible I guess from your explanation?

Correct.  Think about it, somebody could already have the same 7 digit number with different area code.  How do you address this potential outcome.  Also when new area codes are created for an area, the new numbers are issued to the various carriers.  It is quite possible that the number that would meet your needs is not in Public Mobile's possession even if unused.  Lots of moving pieces that make what you desire impossible.  Having said that, is it the end of world if you kept your current number other than having to continue paying Ontario PST?  These days most people have calling plans that include unlimited nation wide calling.  The area code is just another 3 digits in a 10 digit number.  

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Albert31 wrote:

You can't change the same Ont number to a Albetrta number...no.

Hi @Albert31 you are right.  Not possible to keep the 7 digits and change to AB area code

You can try to pick a number similar to your  current one

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Albert31 And if you are willing to change to a different AB number, it is good.  You will save on tax as PM charges tax base on where you number belongs to.  An AB number will have less tax 

Albert31
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@will13am, yes I meant getting the same 7digits with a different area code, which not possible I guess from your explanation?

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

If you mean to get same 7 digits number but with different area code, that is not possible or extremely highly unlikely.

What you can do is change number through self-serving account (up to 4 times/30 days) and pick AB area code.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Albert31 , what do you mean by transfer number from Ontario to Alberta and get the same number?  Do you mean getting the same 7 digits with a different area code.  The chances of this is zero.  Numbers are pretty much issued at random.  

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Albert31 you can just keeping using your ontario phone number in AB without doing anything.   PM does not need to know where you physically is and thay does not need to match 

But if you want to keep last 7 digits but change thevarea code to AB, then it cannot be done

Need Help? Let's chat.