cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Topped up account, but after 24hrs+, still no service "Emergency calls only"

insaner
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi Mods,

my account expired without my knowledge (no reminders or warnings were sent.. maybe it would be good for PM to send a text message a day or two before expiry if there isn't enough money on the account). So I topped up my account yesterday (before the 90 days were up), but I still have no service, it only says "Emergency calls only". I tried restarting the phone (both a reboot, and a turn off and on), and doing manual network search (it could only see "EXT 2G"), but nothing works. Not sure what to do now. 

Thanks in advance.

11 REPLIES 11

@insanerI am glad you figured out the issue, it can be a head scratcher.

Well any cellphones only have a limited # of space for antennas.. especially on a phone that is tailored for China.. some of the Antennas have to be for bands like TD that Canada doesn't use. 1 antenna can only connect 1 network at a time. You would have encountered less of a problem if your phone can do all North American bands, then 1 SIM can use 1 set of frequencies, the other use another. Samsung S9 and 10s do dual SIMs, take both of your SIMs and go to a Samsung store to try it out? That's my preferred way of testing things out.

insaner

Hi all, thank you so much to everyone who tried to help me out solve my issue. I searched around, scratched my head, and finally at some point came across the reason for the problem:

My phone is a Oneplus One, "multi-sim"... but apparently, even though you can shove two sim cards in there, you can actually only use one (kind of). From what I gathered in Oneplus forums, if you want two sims at the same time, one of them has to operate at 2G.. something like that. Which obviously I cannot do with the Public Mobile sim.. or the other provider's sim. So, having removed the other sim, everything is working perfect with the PM sim. *sigh* I didn't realize this had happened, since the time I added the second sim coincided with some time before my PM account used up the remaining funds.. so that also explains why I never received the text message warning me this was about to happen.

Thanks all for your help. Problem solved. (Kind of). Time to go find a multi-sim (android) phone to replace this one.. any recommendations?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@insaner wrote:

Oh, I also wanted to add that I checked again, and no, I did not receive a heads up text telling me my account was about to expire, or had expired (run out of funds).

The only "heads up" that I know of is the payment due soon. Check your texts/conversations from 611. Maybe you've blocked them.

insaner

Oh, I also wanted to add that I checked again, and no, I did not receive a heads up text telling me my account was about to expire, or had expired (run out of funds).

insaner

Hi everyone,

I have reached out to the mods, and have heard back from them. Now I'm just waiting for them to resolve. Thank you all!

I will update the thread to let you know if there are some simple steps that can be followed for anyone else having the same problem!

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@insaner Seemed you are existing customer and you have paid for 90 days services before. Your service is stopped before the expiry date of your plan and you have already topped up the fund into your account. I suggest that you contact the moderator by click on the Envelop icon and send to "Moderator_Team" and explain your situation. There is nothing we can do as community. 

@insaner 

You might want to try

1. Lost/stolen phone trick as described above

2. Manually loading $1 into your account

These tricks seem to reset your plan or SIM card.  

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/SOLUTION-My-plan-has-enough-f...

If that does not work, you will need to contact moderator, but expect 1-2 day response time.  

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@insaner  PM does send texts warning you that your renewal date is approaching so I'm not sure why you didn't get it  PM does not support 2G so make sure you select 3G/LTE on your phone.

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@insaner wrote:

Hi Mods,

my account expired without my knowledge (no reminders or warnings were sent.. maybe it would be good for PM to send a text message a day or two before expiry if there isn't enough money on the account). So I topped up my account yesterday (before the 90 days were up), but I still have no service, it only says "Emergency calls only". I tried restarting the phone (both a reboot, and a turn off and on), and doing manual network search (it could only see "EXT 2G"), but nothing works. Not sure what to do now. 

Thanks in advance.

Could you check the availability of your phone here..willmyphonework.net? Is your phone unlocked?

mojorising
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If you are addressing the Moderators you may want to contact them directly at this link to get their attention on your issue so it can be resolved in a timely manner.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/22437

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@insaner wrote:

Hi Mods,

Thanks in advance.

You are not talking to mods here, only other customers.  Try setting your phone in self-serve account as lost+stolen and then reactivate as your phone was found. That might reset your account.

Need Help? Let's chat.