cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The background subject line changing thread

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

@softech- I didn't do it.

Adding - @popping - Maybe you could edit subject lines down the thread starting with my second reply.

@Outdoorsman, @softech , @esjliv , @dabr - you folks could edit your first reply and it will change the subject line.

edited by computergeek541:  title and label category

18 REPLIES 18

@softech- Try it now. I changed the subject line.

Adding - So now we'll see if this reply picks up your edited reply that did get the new subject line.

Adding - yup.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

thanks @dust2dust  for explaining.  

I guess next time it happens again, we will all jump in and test it  LoL

[updated: @dust2dust .. what subject line was it?, but this post, was a pain reply using the box at the very bottom.. and not a reply to a specific post here]

@dust2dust wrote:

Here's how it does it.

1. a thread is created with a subject line

2. someone replies to that post

3. someone else replies to the OP with another post

4. the OP of the thread (or oracle) can edit the subject line

5. #2 can edit their post and the system will automatically update the subject line of that existing reply with the new subject line in the background, not visible or editable.

6. #2 can reply to #3 that had the original subject line carrying forward the original subject line

7. #3 can edit their post and the system will automatically update the subject line of that existing reply with the new subject line in the background, not visible or editable.

8. #2 can edit their reply to #3 and that picks up the new subject line

These reply subject lines are only visible using the old thread viewing method. The new viewing method only shows the OP subject line. I'm not certain about the difference between using the quick reply box underneath or using the reply button of the post. Usually when I reply to the OP I just use the quick reply box underneath. I'll use the reply button under a post when I'm replying to that post. Usually.

I'll take your word about editng a reply updating the title of subsequent replies.  It's just not something that I've observed.  As for a second member in the thread editting the reply, I can't even edit the title attached to my on responses.  There's no option for it and no title even shown. The only place that I can see titles is in the recent post/complete post list.

@popping wrote:

@computergeek541 Thank you for fixing the Subject line for each post in this thread.

Right after changing the OP subject line this morning, I was trying to edit the first post by @dust2dust and there was no subject line above d2d's post.  I canceled the edit without looking into why.

Do I have to look for the content of the OP Subject line at the top?

If yes, I learn something today and sorry for not doing a complete job.

This issue started in January with the Community site changes.  I too cannot edit the title attached to any message unless it is in the first post of the thread. That's why it becomes necessary to move each post into a brand new thread, rename the title, and then move it back.  Nobody here should feel bad about this though becuase this and other Community website issues are things that Public Mobile and Khoros need to be fixing.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Here's how it does it.

1. a thread is created with a subject line

2. someone replies to that post

3. someone else replies to the OP with another post

4. the OP of the thread (or oracle) can edit the subject line

5. #2 can edit their post and the system will automatically update the subject line of that existing reply with the new subject line in the background, not visible or editable.

6. #2 can reply to #3 that had the original subject line carrying forward the original subject line

7. #3 can edit their post and the system will automatically update the subject line of that existing reply with the new subject line in the background, not visible or editable.

8. #2 can edit their reply to #3 and that picks up the new subject line

These reply subject lines are only visible using the old thread viewing method. The new viewing method only shows the OP subject line. I'm not certain about the difference between using the quick reply box underneath or using the reply button of the post. Usually when I reply to the OP I just use the quick reply box underneath. I'll use the reply button under a post when I'm replying to that post. Usually.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 Thank you for fixing the Subject line for each post in this thread.

Right after changing the OP subject line this morning, I was trying to edit the first post by @dust2dust and there was no subject line above d2d's post.  I canceled the edit without looking into why.

Do I have to look for the content of the OP Subject line at the top?

If yes, I learn something today and sorry for not doing a complete job.

@softech wrote:

@dust2dust   I am on Desktop now, but still don't know how to edit the reply subject line.. 

I have not been able to edit any title other than the one in the first post of the thread since the Community redesign.whether using a a phone or a PC. This is really bad website programming.  

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Thanks for the effort @computergeek541 . The automatic subject line change does work after the fact and even subsequent edits to other replies. But everyone would need to do it. Not everyone did.

@softech- You don't see or edit it. It does it automatically. But you do see it in the old method of viewing a thread. I also found with esjliv and dabr that subsequent replies and edits also works.

Adding - computergeek541 - but they do...automatically after editing.

@softech 

Other than myself or popping, other members participating in this thread would not be able to make title changes associated with individual posts.  Also, when a title does get updated, the posts that were in to that post don"t get the updated title.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

i was to try to make the change.. but look like all my replies that have the full phone number are now removed... so.. nothing to test out.  

To everyone who has replied in this thread:

Unfortunately, by replying in this thread, this actually makes it so that the OP can't remove the phone number because the original subject gets copied into the response.  Also, the question about editing thr title in the first post doesn't remove the phone number from the rest of the thread. 

I realize that none of this is the fault of the members, and I have removed all remaining occurances of this phone number being displayed. This requires each reply to be individuallly moved into a new thread, reviewed, edited if required, and for each repsonse to be individually moved back and took me about 30 minutes.  Rather than replying to a thread with private information in title, it might be better to report the thread to a customer support agent. 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@softech   Lol...neither do/did I but at d2d's suggestion I did a faux edit to my first post and I believe that fixes the number (captured in OP's post before being edited by popping) from showing in all your responses.  I'm only able to see the number by clicking on the profile replies of users who haven't edited their response.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@dust2dust   I am on Desktop now, but still don't know how to edit the reply subject line.. 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

@esjliv- That worked to edit that reply too.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust wrote:

@dabr- It was discovered a while ago by some that when one replies to a thread that the subject line gets copied. Then when the original subject line gets edited that subsequent replies can edit their posts and the subject line would change on its own. But now I've just noticed that replies to others in the thread do not get the changed subject line.

The current new way of viewing the forum is by topic: either new topic or that a new reply was added to a topic. This method only shows the one subject line. But an old method that still works of viewing the forum shows each subject line.

So simply to hit ones post with an edit and maybe change a period or something (or nothing?) and click Post will update the subject line.

@dust2dust , yeah this (changing of subject titles) didn't work when I replied to your posts directly. 😑

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@dust2dust can't do it on Mobile Browser.  will try it when I get to a desktop 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

@dabr- It was discovered a while ago by some that when one replies to a thread that the subject line gets copied. Then when the original subject line gets edited that subsequent replies can edit their posts and the subject line would change on its own. But now I've just noticed that replies to others in the thread do not get the changed subject line.

The current new way of viewing the forum is by topic: either new topic or that a new reply was added to a topic. This method only shows the one subject line. But an old method that still works of viewing the forum shows each subject line.

So simply to hit ones post with an edit and maybe change a period or something (or nothing?) and click Post will update the subject line.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust   Okay, I'll admit to being confused as I don't see the subject line in my post and only see OP's heading being edited by popping? 

Need Help? Let's chat.