cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texts Are Going to a Different Person

josephruberto
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have had this problem off and on ever since I switched to Public Mobile where sometimes people try to text me and it goes to a different person. It shows up on people's phones within the same text conversation that I have received the message but, if they are using an iPhone, the conversation begins showing up as an iMessage conversation, even though I have an Android, and sometimes the other person responds. Also, my number begins getting registered for iMessage and I have to deregister it, and I begin getting messages from WhatsApp and other apps saying that my phone number is trying to be registered on a new device. In addition to all of this, I get messages on WhatsApp while this is happening from random women asking if I can help them with immigration...I have had Public Mobile reset my network in the past and it fixed the problem for a few months, but I can't keep having this happen. Do I need to change my number to solve the issue? Will that even solve the problem? Should I leave Public Mobile because of how ridiculous this whole situation has been? I'd love to hear other people's thoughts and if anyone has had similar experiences and been able to figure out a solution. 

48 REPLIES 48

Hi @dust2dust 

the link work.

try again:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

No worry, they will send a text to confirm.  So, the one who has the phone number will confirm and approve the deregister 

I got a 404. So a non-Apple user can go there to de-register a number from Apple? That sounds open to abuse.

Adding - then it worked.

josephruberto

It's a website you can go to where you can deregister a number from iMessage.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

How would you de-register anything anywhere if you are on an Android and never had an iphone?

josephruberto

All I know is that I've had to deregister iMessage multiple times because my phone has been registered for it. Maybe someone with an iPhone somehow has a SIM card with the same number as me

@josephruberto 

I don’t think that can happen. iMessage and FaceTime would access the phone number directly or indirectly from the number on the SIM card. 

josephruberto

Yeah, I have worried that someone is trying to hack me as well and that's another reason why I wanted to get this resolved. I have had my number for 10+ years which is why it doesn't make sense that someone else should have my number.

josephruberto

I created a ticket with them, but in the past when I've gone through that process they've never been able to find a permanent solution to the problem. Hopefully something changes this time!

josephruberto

I created a ticket with them, but in the past when I've gone through that process they've never been able to find a permanent solution to the problem. Hopefully something changes this time!

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@josephruberto 

someone else might also have your number. PM registers currently used numbers to new customers... huge security issue. but, usually they aren't able to receive calls if this happens. if another person truly has the same number PM should be able to figure out which other sim is registered with the same number.  another possibility is this person is trying to hack you. I would assume if you changed providers it would be the same issue. changing the number should work. doesn't what's app have 2fa? 

Remember
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@josephruberto 

open a ticket with PM CS_Agent. at : https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot. ask them to check your account.

type: Contact Us and Other 
Finally Click here to submit a ticket
you will then direct to another page to open ticket.

If you have error submitting a ticket, send a private message to the CS_Agent: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

check inbox(top right corner envelope icon) for response from CS_Agent.

@josephruberto 

Maybe it could be a backend issue so contact a CS_Agent but they are available from 6:00am to 10:00pm.

Private message or create a ticket now and they will pm you back in the morning.

josephruberto

I have had this number for about 10 years, and I never had this issue with my past provider. Also, I have deregistered the number and it is sometimes re-registered by someone else.

josephruberto

My network selection shows Public Mobile

josephruberto

I've never owned an iPhone, that's why it seems like someone else with an iPhone is using my number and registering it for iMessage.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Your previous phone was an iPhone?

Still have access to it?

Do a full reset on it. You will have to log off Find My Iphone and would also log off the cloud account, first. 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@josephruberto 

I sounds like your porting was not completed.

Go to Settings>Cellular>Network Selection>Public.

If it shows your previous carrier then the porting was cancelled.

Did you reply to the text with the old SIM in your phone confirming you are porting your old number to PM?

You will need to contact a CS_Agent to restart the porting process.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @josephruberto   your current number is a new number you got from PM lately when you activated?

if so, it could be used by another Apple users before and the number was not deregistered on the Apple server.  You can come to this site and deregister the number

(follow the part about "No longer have your iPhone")

Need Help? Let's chat.