cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text Messaging not working when not on Wifi

anikapink
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

We've had the phones for a couple months now and text messaging is still not working when not on Wifi.  I've changed and checked all settings I can think of.  Kids have iPhone 6 and iPhone SE.  I'll be cancelling plans if I can't find a solution (I've Google searched and checked the forums).  It's really pointless for me to be paying for plans they can't use.  Phone calls work fine.

7 REPLIES 7

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@anikapink wrote:

text messaging is still not working when not on Wifi.  I've changed and checked all settings I can think of.  Kids have iPhone 6 and iPhone SE.  I'll be cancelling plans if I can't find a solution (I've Google searched and checked the forums).  It's really pointless for me to be paying for plans they can't use.  Phone calls work fine.

Are these on the $10 plan (i.e. no data)?  Do the text messages have a blue bubble, when they fail to work?  I suspect when you're not on WiFi, you have no cellular data (assuming $10 plans) and the iPhone is attempting to use iMessage (which relies on data).

If that's the case, you can tap and hold the blue bubble as it's attempting to send (i.e. when you're not on WiFi) and select "Send as Text Message" so that it re-sends it via SMS (will turn into a green bubble).

If this is the issue, you may consider adding a data add-on, or perhaps disabling iMessage (while out and about).

EDIT: I just read your other thread from January, and am concluding that you have no-data plans.  This is exactly the situation with my son's phone (I have him on an iPhone with text/voice only), and the most reliable solution is to turn off iMessage altogether on his iPhone.  Yes, iMessage is handy while within WiFi, but it was more important for us to be able to text each other in a timely manner without worrying about having data for iMessage.  If I trusted him with data (and not burning through it), then I'd add a data add-on to allow using iMessage, and then turn off cellular data for all apps.  But he'd end up turning them off and streaming YouTube, etc.  Your ultimate choice of solution depends on your needs and how the kids would handle having data, etc., and your ability to turn off cell data for apps to preserve it.

Darren4
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Have you considered switching to Android? 

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@anikapink Couple of addition thoughts:

a) login to the accounts to double check that you still have data showing under "Data & add-ons", and that the phones have Cellular data ON

b) turn iMessage and Factime OFF, then ON again after a few minutes

c) look at messaging setup: Settings >> Messages >> iMessage ON, Send as SMS ON, MMS ON >> Send and Receive: should should the PM number and Apple id emailnaddress

d) go to Settings >> General >> About: if a carrier update is offered install it

The problems are almost certainly the phone settings. I have an iPhone that sends/receives both iMessages and SMS withoit issue.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@anikapink  does your data work?, 9 is it set up correctly.  Do you have the proper carrier updates on the phone?

I really recvoned reading this thread

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/FYI-iOS-and-APNs/m-p/323118#M24562

Jackhyf63
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@anikapink @I have iPhone 6s,I took the pic about Message,I hope can helps you

FB86BFF0-1E07-48B3-A62A-6EB31724B900.png

FB922C00-960A-440E-A9B1-FE8278F16ACB.png

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@anikapink wrote:

We've had the phones for a couple months now and text messaging is still not working when not on Wifi.  I've changed and checked all settings I can think of.  Kids have iPhone 6 and iPhone SE.  I'll be cancelling plans if I can't find a solution (I've Google searched and checked the forums).  It's really pointless for me to be paying for plans they can't use.  Phone calls work fine.

Our iPhone expert @CalgaryBen may be able to help you.

Need Help? Let's chat.