cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tech info...3G vs LTE

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I've been with Public for over 3 years and I'm very happy with the service and perks.

I had the $40 3G 5GB plan.

I recently switched to the $40 LTE 15GB plan.

My Iphone is now set to LTE and I'm getting more dropped calls in locations where I didn't before.  

I also can't check my home security cameras when using LTE but I can if I change my setting to 3G.

Right now (at this exact moment)  my LTE is getting 2 bars but when I switch to 3G I have 4 bars.

I don't stream much video so I am tempted to leave the cellular on 3G and just enjoy having more data now with the new plan.  But I am disappointed that my LTE signal seems to be weaker than my 3G.

Any recommendations from my community friends?

Thanks and happy Friday! 😁

5 REPLIES 5

@DDM69 

LTE usually has a low bar count. they reduce the frequency so that it doesn't kill you. 1-2 bars is normal. when was the last time you removed the sim card? 

on 4G LTE devices, the PRL(preferred roaming list) is updated with your SIM card. To ensure you have the latest PRL, you can power your phone off and remove/reinsert the SIM card once a month or so. this in turn forces your carriers network to force an update to the network, making cell towers 'aware' of the new sim, this can improve reception as any new agreements between carriers and their cell towers and any new cell towers since your last sim will be 'aware' of the new sim, allowing it to access them. in turn 'improving' your reception, in areas you previously had bad reception. then reset the network settings 

otherwise follow softechs suggestions.

@DDM69 wrote:

3G is always solid inside my home.  LTE no so good and results in dropped calls

But PM uses 3G for voice.. if 3G is solid, there is really no reason why you got dropped calls after your LTE plan change

maybe open ticket with PM.. see if they can do anything on the system to reprovision your sim

you can also try to reprovision yourself by putting your PM sim card in another phone.  That will trigger the reprovision and maybe, just maybe, it will help?

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

3G is always solid inside my home.  LTE no so good and results in dropped calls

From my work, LTE is only (2 bars) and will not bring up my security cameras but 3G (4 bars) will (in the exact same spot)

I will have to test other spots but in comparison things always seem better on 3G 🤔

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Most likely 4G is not reliable in your area. Just keep it at 3G and enjoy extra GB. Extra speed will not bring any benefit.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@DDM69  for the part on security camera,  look like your area that you have trouble with has much better 3G than LTE

but you also mentioned about dropped calls, that would indicate the option, you might not have as good 3G signal

But the dropped call area and the checking security camera area, is that the same place?

And you get different experience if you go out to another area?  And do you get the LTE data trouble when you are inside the building/house?  if you go outside, would you get better connection/signal?

Need Help? Let's chat.