cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching to Koodo for a monthly plan

More_Chaos
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi guys,

Did anyone receive a text from PM today or recently asking them to take advantage of a limited time offer to switch to Koodo to receive the same plan, but receive a monthly bill?

Just wondering what's going on, and what incentive I have to do this. Aside from monthly billing and keeping the same monthly rate, I don't actually have any advantage. In fact, there is no mention that I would continue to have my monthly automatic payment discount, nor my loyalty or referral discounts either...

40 REPLIES 40

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Thanks for the info.

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Goodnfo about that card. The Fido still amila or whomever keeps pushing it every But if the cash back is for Fido bill only it's not really cash back? It's Fido credit.

errepi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

>Fido Mastercard. It gives 1.5% cashback on all purchases, one of the best in Canada, and it can be used to reduce fido bills. Also there is no foreign exchange fees when purchasing in foreign currency.

Technically, that is not totally correct, I have this card. It gives you:

• 1.5% cash back rewards on all purchases in Canadian dollars
  • 4% cash back rewards on all purchases in a foreign currency 

The problem with this card is that you can redeem the earned cash back regularly to pay for Fido products only (i.e. what they call "Eligible Purchase"), but only once a year you can request it as a statement credit (to apply towards any purchase). Read below.

From the Fido MasterCard Cash Back Rewards Program Terms and Conditions:

You may also redeem your Rewards in the form of an annual statement credit to your Account by calling Rogers Bank at 1 855 775-2265. You must request an annual statement credit for each year that you wish to receive it by December 1st of that year. Annual statement credits will be awarded in January of the following year and the amount credited will be the total dollar value of the balance of your Fido Rewards Account as of the date the credit is issued to your Account.   

I was very disappointed when I found that out, especially after I moved to PM, since at that point I couldn't use the cash back to pay anything anymore but I had to wait until the end of the year to get a statement credit.

errepi

>So you were able to go thru the entire check out process and pay $40 /month and $15 for the sim card?

Exactly, see pic below.

Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 08.28.52.png

amallya

Fido is actually a pretty good option, if you also get the Fido Mastercard. It gives 1.5% cashback on all purchases, one of the best in Canada, and it can be used to reduce fido bills. Also there is no foreign exchange fees when purchasing in foreign currency.

Everybody pissed off by public mobile should consider taking their business to Fido.

pikachiu132
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So you were able to go thru the entire check out process and pay $40 /month and $15 for the sim card?

The guy on the koodo customer service on the phone seems to say that it requires a tab (i.e. a phone ) on the account.did you also get the 100$

errepi

I got a SIM card only, bring my own phone. 

The only mention of "tab" included in the text I received is:

Plus, you may be eligible for a $0 phone with the Koodo Tab!

But I only needed and got the SIM.

pikachiu132

I just got this message today. Just wanted to confirm that it's only applicable if you upgrade a phone and get on a tab. (That how I interpret the fine print). But yet at checkout it doesn't seem to stop me when I pick SIM card only 

Does it even make sense if you wanted a new phone? ...

errepi

Hello,

I received the same offer via text from PM on Friday Feb 9th:

Switch to a monthly bill with our sister-brand, Koodo, and get 2GB of data, unlimited international text AND unlimited Canada-Wide minutes for the same price you're paying today!

The offer also includes $100 in bill credits (25$/month for 4 months) if using the promo code mentioned in the text at checkout.

With PM I only have 2$ off/month for the AutoPay Reward, so for me the difference is really between PM's 38$/mo (with province-wide unlimited minutes) and Koodo's 40$/mo (with Canada-wide unlimited minutes AND $100 in bill credits) - all other things being equal. 

So I've decided to make the move.

Now I have a couple of questions:

1) my last PM's pre-payment of 120$/3 months was on Dec 21, 2017, the next one is on Mar 20, 2018. If I activate my Koodo SIM, say, on Feb 20, that will be 2 months into my PM pre-payment, with one more month left which is already pre-paid. At the same time I'll be charged Koodo's first month of service. So basically I would be paying twice for Feb 20-Mar 20. I'm guessing PM would refund me the last month I had already pre-paid when the service is transferred to Koodo. Can anyone confirm this?

2) I had just purchased PM's US and Canada Long Distance add-on a couple of weeks ago. With PM, this credit never expires but with the new Koodo plan I get Canada-wide minutes. So I'm wondering what happens there. Would I get a refund of the unused portion of the Long Distance add-on?

Thanks in advance for reading and providing your input. 

Cheers.

crtowns

@Wonder_why good thoughts. 

I agree that there is a strategy of moving people up the value chain. Two months ago I moved from TELUS to Public Mobile because I wanted to do the exact opposite (move down the value chain)! Haha. I could always use more data and features, but I made a decision to put a small cap on how much I'm willing to pay for mobile. 

bilal684
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Oh well... seeing this I wonder if we'll ever come across a promo like the fall promo... I'm eager for more data but the current pricing are way too expensive for me...

Wonder_why

Public Mobile offers subscribers upgraded Koodo plans for same monthly price By Rose Behar FEB 9, 20184:56 PM EST 0 COMMENTS Telus’ wireless prepaid brand, Public Mobile, is offering its customers a move up the value chain with a limited-time deal. Some Public Mobile users are receiving texts that offer 2GB of data, unlimited international text and unlimited Canada-wide minutes all for the same price of their current plan. Additionally, the message says Public customers can get $100 in bill credits by inputting a specific promo code. The offer ends February 28th, 2018. The Public Mobile subscriber who shared this deal with MobileSyrup reported that they pay $120 for a 90-day plan, or approximately $40 per month. For this price, they get 6GB of data, unlimited international text, unlimited provincial talk and a 200-minute U.S. and Canada long-distance add-on. After discounts, including a loyalty reward, autopay reward and refer-a-friend award, that price comes down to $99, or approximately $33 per month — though it’s likely Public’s deal refers to the in-market price, not the discounted version. Comparatively, a 2GB in-market Koodo plan with unlimited minutes and unlimited messaging currently costs $45, while a 3GB in-market Koodo plan with the same features costs $55. With this in mind, 2GB of data, unlimited Canada-wide calling and unlimited text for $40 is a fairly worthwhile deal. In Telus’ most recent earnings call, CEO and president Darren Entwistle said a strong focus for the company is “moving people up the value chain” through prepaid to postpaid migration. During Bell’s recent earnings call, CEO and president George Cope made mention of wanting to pursue the same strategy with the company’s recently-launched Lucky Mobile.  Rogers also regularly offers 

Read more at MobileSyrup.comPublic Mobile offers subscribers upgraded Koodo plans for same monthly price

So discount code seems to depend on your plan?

GOKOODO440

GOKOODO445

Any more?

@xkey Tab small & Tab medium are the EXACT same discounts, just the funny math in how calculating them

Coupled with the $100 bill credit I will argue in most cases it is cheaper than the inmarket offers 

Tab large is where you see extra rebates but then plans suck

wrote:

Looks like it's $40 a month ($5 cheaper then their regular plan) plus $25 off for four months ($100 billing discount). It can only be used with their Small Tab plans, so no good discounts on new phones. Does come with canada-wide calling instead of province only.

More_Chaos

@CET_GUY27

Yes, I understand how to unsubscribe (it's written right on the text msg), but I was replying to stonechucker's question about how to 'sign up' for PM's Promotions List to receive these types of text (i.e. I wasn't aware that you had to do anything to receive them).

@kav2001c Post moved to an existing topic.

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

Koodo is aggressively targeting Public clients now

$100 bill credit at Koodo when switching

GOKOODO445

Michael77

wrote:

The Koodo thing must be making a come back.  I heard quite a bit about this back in the day when the fall promo had just ended.  I never got the offer, so I don't know the exact terms.  The current Koodo offer is pretty weak, especially for those of us paying the same for twice the data. 

I agree. Rogers and Fido offer better migration deals to their customers.

CET_GUY27

@More_Chaos you literally reply to the text message with the word "unsubscribe" and you're done. 

More_Chaos

@CET_GUY27@stonechucker

Thanks! Sorry, I just skimmed that copy of the text msg since I already read it in my test msgs. I think it's just a default you get from PM when you sign up for an account with them. I get random msgs for promos occasionally, but usually I discover them through other means faster than they actually send me a text (except this time, but it's not really a promo, and I guess it only applies to people with certain plans). I checked my online account, but I don't see anywhere where I can opt in/out of these texts.

@CET_GUY27, thanks for getting that - I'm slow on getting back to these things.

Yes, that copied portion from the text is what I'm reffering to.

Also... I do not think PM is closing down... otherwise they would be sending it to everyone, and would be telling us directly.  If they were to close down, everyone would need at least a 90 day notice, as many of us have 90 day plans.

CET_GUY27

@More_Chaos

In the text message from Public that was sent today it states 

"You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe."

shartomjam

I also received this text.  Not interested.  It does say you can unsubscribe from these offers and deals.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The Koodo thing must be making a come back.  I heard quite a bit about this back in the day when the fall promo had just ended.  I never got the offer, so I don't know the exact terms.  The current Koodo offer is pretty weak, especially for those of us paying the same for twice the data. 

More_Chaos

@stonechucker

I'm not sure which message you are trying to quote. I do not see anything about a Promotions List. Can you clarify?

I'm on the Fall Promo 2016.  I have not received the message, nor do I expect to.

In the quoted message above, it mentions the Public Mobile Promotions list (or something like that).  I've never heard of this list.... what or how do I find it?

CalvinW

I got the same text. What a joke! Feels like they are trying to get rid of PM soon

JoeCanadian

I also got this text today and found it confusing - is PM going away?  I saw no advantage to switching to Koodo.  With my current PM setup, my monthly costs are predictable and stable.  With a monthly billing system like Koodo the potential exists to have a monthly bill be larger than normal.  I don't see the incentive to switch unless it's a superior offering (which it isn't) or a superior price (which it isn't).  

CET_GUY27

At that rate, my first year I would save $16 and then every year after that I would lose $84/year ($120/90 days with $7 rewards per month). 

Not a deal. 

CET_GUY27

Received the same SMS message today:

"Public Mobile here with an exclusive offer for 1##########. Switch to a monthly bill with our sister-brand, Koodo, and get 2GB of data, unlimited international text AND unlimited Canada-Wide minutes for the same price you're paying today! Plus, you may be eligible for a $0 phone with the Koodo Tab! Redeem online at https://koo.do/gocustomer-service and input promo code GOKOODO440 to ALSO receive $100 in bill credits! Your validation code is your phone number. Offer ends February 28, 2018. You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply."

I am not a legacy account holder (I joined after the Telus switch almost as soon as they re-launched). With my current plan ($120/90 days for 6GB, prov calling, int'l text) and then subtracting my rewards I pay $99/90 days (approx. $33/month).

Still haven't called Koodo to see exactly how a new plan with them would compare but it will take a lot for me to switch as I have no interest in financing a phone through them and I still have several add-ons remaining that I would probably lose. 

Curious what others are learning of this deal!

Need Help? Let's chat.