cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching phone number after moving to a new province?

jrprvs2000
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My daughter has recently moved to BC from Ontario and would like to change her number to a local Nanaimo number. I see that its possible to do this through the self service options, just select the province you're in and a new local number.  My question is, as soon as you do that, do you lose all connections with people you regularly text with and call? Or does the new number some how piggy back on the old number? Will she have to reach out to all her contacts to let them all know her new number, before they can text her again?

Thanks for any feedback on this...JP

3 REPLIES 3

I tested this a few years ago anyways and unfortunately there is no notification message. You have to notify them via a text blast before changing, or email social media etc.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

As soon as the number is changed the account no longer does anything with the old number.

But I don't know if a recording plays when the old number is called like phone systems used to. I doubt it. Nor do i remember when I changed my number a couple years ago.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@jrprvs2000   Your daughter will need to notify all her contacts and let them know of her new number.  For some of her contacts(depending on their plan/features) calling her on the new BC number might mean long distance charges.   Luckily PM current plans offer Canada wide calling, so she will have no problems with LD charges on her end.

Need Help? Let's chat.