cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switched over to points and I LIKE IT but wife doesn't.

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I was a bit sceptical regarding switching over to the new point system -- but I thought that I would try it on one of  my - (don't want to let go ---still $10 plan). In my opinion the point system is great and allows flexibility in that one may purchase various add ons and even gamble a point or two towards the chance to win prizes. 

😎. My wife however is not on board because she doesn't want to be bothered with it all and prefers to continue having her rewards  automatically applied to her monthly  auto pay.

The PM statement below that I cut and pasted is in my opinion vague.  To me it reads that if one has tried the points system and doesn't like it then they may" opt-out of Public Points" but will not be able to switch back to the point system.

The statement is misleading because,  those that had switched from the old rewards system, may conclude that by opting out of points their plan would  revert back to the original rewards program. 

In view of PM not well thought out statement, that I doubt  was meant to deceive, I think it only fair for PM to allow those that have switched the option to revert back to the old rewards program.

Opting-out -----Our Rewards program, Public Points, is completely free. If you decide that you no longer want to earn points and redeem for exciting items, you can opt-out of Public Points. Once you opt-out, you will not be able to rejoin the program. If you wish to opt-out, contact us here.

101 REPLIES 101

BEER

@BEER wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@BEER 

If you contacted customer support on Sunday the 13th and you had your messages off until the 15th when you replied that you turned them on then that is past the 48 hour window given for a reply before a ticket or message is closed or if you haven't heard from them to send new message or support ticket.

I contacted Jade just yesterday.

Still waiting for reply ( 5 months) ha ha ha .................... no point in pursuing - we all know their firm position - no trial period and no.switching back

BEER

Still waiting for reply ( 5 months) ha ha ha .................... no point in pursuing - we all know their firm position - no trial period and no.switching back

BEER

@darlicious wrote:

@BEER 

If you contacted customer support on Sunday the 13th and you had your messages off until the 15th when you replied that you turned them on then that is past the 48 hour window given for a reply before a ticket or message is closed or if you haven't heard from them to send new message or support ticket.

I contacted Jade just yesterday.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@BEER 

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin 

BEER

@darlicious wrote:

@BEER 

You had your private messaging turned off. How do expect them to respond when they couldn't? Start over and send them a new message.

😎Your mistaken -😎

Don't you remember that you sent me a few messages within the last couple of days?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@BEER 

You had your private messaging turned off. How do expect them to respond when they couldn't? Start over and send them a new message.

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

Hi @BEER   Message them again.. or message Jade directly, tell her at least her team should reply  🙂

BEER

Did contact customer support this past Sunday and now it's  Wednesday and am still waiting for response. 

BEER

@darlicious wrote:

@BEER 

Check your private messages I'm going to send you a little gift.

Edit:

Or not since it appears you have disabled your private messages.

Just turned it on - wondering what it could be -- all good I hope.

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@BEER 

Check your private messages I'm going to send you a little gift.

Edit:

Or not since it appears you have disabled your private messages.

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

BEER

@darlicious wrote:

@BEER 

Ah geez you are making turn the tablet to break out the quote tool....

@BEER wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@BEER 

Through this whole thread you only now just mentioned that you made the switch after receiving the email that you had been switched to the points program but before the correction email was sent out and the public mobile made the announcement of the emails sent out in error?

The inquiries made by a couple of members who switched voluntarily but regretted their decision immediately were met with a flat out no. But your timing of the switch and the ambiguous wording when you have already been informed that you have been switched would lead one to dismiss the "Are you sure?" because you already believe according to the email pm themselves sent you that you don't have a choice that has been taken away from you. Human curiosity naturally makes you want to investigate this new loyalty program that pm has switched you to......warnings mean nothing if you already believe that you have switched. 

As mentioned a 24 hour "cooling off" period while pm prepares the switch of customer would prevent any "accidental" switches and pm from any "bad publicity" or complaints that have merit like I believe yours does. Why not implement a "cooling off" period or set up the switch to points like plan changes? Do you want to switch now? Or schedule the switch to occur in conjunction with your next renewal?

The problem with the way public mobile launched their Public Points program is timing. By combining it with the new community forum design stretching the IT teams time and resources along with a community manager whose holidays were scheduled to coincide with the launch of the new community has led to this debacle. They introduce the new points program with a mysterious precursor teaser announcement lacking any meaningful details of the program. Then they sent thousands (?) of incorrect emails telling customers (many of whom created their community accounts just to find why they were switched) they are now in the points program and pm doesn't expect a few of them at the very least to unknowingly switch to a program they don't want a part of but are begrudgingly checking out?

The program may have been set up to not allow a return to the rewards program for ease and pm's advantage to get customers out of the rewards program and into the points program but given the mistakes pm has made with the launch the onus should be on them to return the few customers in the first 48 to 72 hours who mistakenly switched realized their folly almost immediately and came to the community and/or opened a ticket with customer support to return to the rewards program.

Public mobile is rife with glitches and bugs and mistakes that are their responsibility and we accept and forgive them because they correct or fix them (per se) and they do the same when we make mistakes whether on our own or by the shortcomings of pm's system and design. This is same for the few customers like @BEER , @killer23d  and others who find themselves as unwilling participants in the points program but have been given no other choice but remain or ultimately opt out of having any loyalty program to benefit from being a public mobile customer.

Is that what you think my beef is and what I said?  

Anyways this is not a serious situation and $2 more or less will not break the bank. I will now rest this subject and have appreciated all responses received .

Cheers and on to another subject.

@BEER 

For someone who wants to put the subject to rest you continue to bring it back up in some form or another and then choose a solution based on your current query despite receiving the answer that you later choose as a solution before you have asked your newest question? As I posted yesterday and you commented on above.

Then you question the answers recieved leaving a rather flippant reply. I take considerable time to answer most questions by customers with a thoughtful response catered to that individual that hopefully gives them a different perspective or a successful argument to achieve what may seem like an unattainable goal or at the very least some satisfaction that pm has conceded that they have made a mistake and a resolution can be negotiated that appeared both pm and the customer similar to @killer23d 's resolution. As evidenced both in your comments above and below to my replies.....

‎02-14-2022 09:22 AM

@darlicious wrote:

@Beer 

I do agree from a new customer perspective the points program still offers good value. Community and referral points remain the same value as does the "autopay" points for plans $40+ or payments made to the account exceeding $480 per year. Loyalty points up to the the end of the 2 year mark have more value than loyalty rewards with the accumulation of 25 points compared to $12 in rewards. It is only once you reach the end of the 3 year mark does the difference in loyalty start to amp up with 35 points vs $36 in rewards. After this the difference grows expedentially and after the 5th full year 10 points pales in comparison to $60.

You will never convince me that the points offer more choice in redemption than rewards do....with the exception of the lucky draw. Real money $$ in my bank account can buy many more things than Public Points can be redeemed for even if they are discounted add ons. Now if I can stack points offers like I did at Loblaws this week when I saved $65 off my seafood order and paid $121 and then recieved 91,000 points ($91) back on my purchase then maybe you might convince me that points are better.

You say -

(1) "-Real money $$ in my bank account can buy many more things than Public Points "

I point = $1 -- how is that different?

(2) "You will never convince me that the points offer more choice in redemption than rewards do."

You can now use points as you please to even apply to your total plan payment. How did you manage to do this with the old reward system?

@BEER 

Which I answered below....which thankfully with plenty of experience with pc optimum points math, toilet paper math and vodka math I could work out the slightly complicated new Public Points math to answer your question......

02-14-2022 09:58 AM - edited ‎02-14-2022 09:59 AM

@Beer 

My $10 account after 5 years without community rewards currently will recieve $3 friend referral rewards+$2 autopay rewards+$5 loyalty=$10 total rewards=$0 out of my pocket or $120 in rewards per year.

Under the points system my $10 account would recieve 3 points per month in friend referrals and 0.5 points in "autopay" rewards. After 5 months I would have 17.50 points to redeem $15 off my  bill. In 5 more months I would have a total of 16.375 points to redeem another $15 off my bill. After 12 months I would gain another 10 points with loyalty anniversary for a total of 11.375 points and will have paid $90 out of my pocket.

Rewards: $120 Out of pocket=$0  Points: 41.375=$41.375(total)  Out of pocket=$90 +11.375pts (banked)

You tell me....how are points better in this scenario? $90 still in my pocket buys more than what I was able to redeem in points over the course of 12 months $90 vs $30 in points.

Which you then dismiss with this reply....

@darlicious wrote:

@Beer 

My $10 account after 5 years without community rewards currently will recieve $3 friend referral rewards+$2 autopay rewards+$5 loyalty=$10 total rewards=$0 out of my pocket or $120 in rewards per year.

Of-course in your case it would be foolish to switch to the point system.  And if you also add the community rewards you undoubtedly receive PM must be paying you at the end of each cycle. 

As others have already mentioned it all depends on case by case situation.

So if others have already mentioned and answered your burning questions why have you questioned my replies at all?

I will be sure in future to turn my attention and effort to members actually interested in my reply who whether they choose to use my advice or not are at least appreciative that I took the time to answer with their considerations in mind.

If all else fails I am sure contacting customer support will solve any issue you may have....

I love and take seriously all of your detailed  replies and advise. 

If I upset you in any way please accept my apologies.

BEER

BEER

@BEER 

Ah geez you are making turn the tablet to break out the quote tool....

@BEER wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@BEER 

Through this whole thread you only now just mentioned that you made the switch after receiving the email that you had been switched to the points program but before the correction email was sent out and the public mobile made the announcement of the emails sent out in error?

The inquiries made by a couple of members who switched voluntarily but regretted their decision immediately were met with a flat out no. But your timing of the switch and the ambiguous wording when you have already been informed that you have been switched would lead one to dismiss the "Are you sure?" because you already believe according to the email pm themselves sent you that you don't have a choice that has been taken away from you. Human curiosity naturally makes you want to investigate this new loyalty program that pm has switched you to......warnings mean nothing if you already believe that you have switched. 

As mentioned a 24 hour "cooling off" period while pm prepares the switch of customer would prevent any "accidental" switches and pm from any "bad publicity" or complaints that have merit like I believe yours does. Why not implement a "cooling off" period or set up the switch to points like plan changes? Do you want to switch now? Or schedule the switch to occur in conjunction with your next renewal?

The problem with the way public mobile launched their Public Points program is timing. By combining it with the new community forum design stretching the IT teams time and resources along with a community manager whose holidays were scheduled to coincide with the launch of the new community has led to this debacle. They introduce the new points program with a mysterious precursor teaser announcement lacking any meaningful details of the program. Then they sent thousands (?) of incorrect emails telling customers (many of whom created their community accounts just to find why they were switched) they are now in the points program and pm doesn't expect a few of them at the very least to unknowingly switch to a program they don't want a part of but are begrudgingly checking out?

The program may have been set up to not allow a return to the rewards program for ease and pm's advantage to get customers out of the rewards program and into the points program but given the mistakes pm has made with the launch the onus should be on them to return the few customers in the first 48 to 72 hours who mistakenly switched realized their folly almost immediately and came to the community and/or opened a ticket with customer support to return to the rewards program.

Public mobile is rife with glitches and bugs and mistakes that are their responsibility and we accept and forgive them because they correct or fix them (per se) and they do the same when we make mistakes whether on our own or by the shortcomings of pm's system and design. This is same for the few customers like @BEER , @killer23d  and others who find themselves as unwilling participants in the points program but have been given no other choice but remain or ultimately opt out of having any loyalty program to benefit from being a public mobile customer.

Is that what you think my beef is and what I said?  

Anyways this is not a serious situation and $2 more or less will not break the bank. I will now rest this subject and have appreciated all responses received .

Cheers and on to another subject.

@BEER 

For someone who wants to put the subject to rest you continue to bring it back up in some form or another and then choose a solution based on your current query despite receiving the answer that you later choose as a solution before you have asked your newest question? As I posted yesterday and you commented on above.

Then you question the answers recieved leaving a rather flippant reply. I take considerable time to answer most questions by customers with a thoughtful response catered to that individual that hopefully gives them a different perspective or a successful argument to achieve what may seem like an unattainable goal or at the very least some satisfaction that pm has conceded that they have made a mistake and a resolution can be negotiated that appeared both pm and the customer similar to @killer23d 's resolution. As evidenced both in your comments above and below to my replies.....

‎02-14-2022 09:22 AM

@darlicious wrote:

@Beer 

I do agree from a new customer perspective the points program still offers good value. Community and referral points remain the same value as does the "autopay" points for plans $40+ or payments made to the account exceeding $480 per year. Loyalty points up to the the end of the 2 year mark have more value than loyalty rewards with the accumulation of 25 points compared to $12 in rewards. It is only once you reach the end of the 3 year mark does the difference in loyalty start to amp up with 35 points vs $36 in rewards. After this the difference grows expedentially and after the 5th full year 10 points pales in comparison to $60.

You will never convince me that the points offer more choice in redemption than rewards do....with the exception of the lucky draw. Real money $$ in my bank account can buy many more things than Public Points can be redeemed for even if they are discounted add ons. Now if I can stack points offers like I did at Loblaws this week when I saved $65 off my seafood order and paid $121 and then recieved 91,000 points ($91) back on my purchase then maybe you might convince me that points are better.

You say -

(1) "-Real money $$ in my bank account can buy many more things than Public Points "

(2) "You will never convince me that the points offer more choice in redemption than rewards do."

You can now use points as you please to even apply to your total plan payment. How did you manage to do this with the old reward system?

@BEER 

Which I answered below....which thankfully with plenty of experience with pc optimum points math, toilet paper math and vodka math I could work out the slightly complicated new Public Points math to answer your question......

02-14-2022 09:58 AM - edited ‎02-14-2022 09:59 AM

@Beer 

Under the points system my $10 account would recieve 3 points per month in friend referrals and 0.5 points in "autopay" rewards. After 5 months I would have 17.50 points to redeem $15 off my  bill. In 5 more months I would have a total of 16.375 points to redeem another $15 off my bill. After 12 months I would gain another 10 points with loyalty anniversary for a total of 11.375 points and will have paid $90 out of my pocket.

Rewards: $120 Out of pocket=$0  Points: 41.375=$41.375(total)  Out of pocket=$90 +11.375pts (banked)

You tell me....how are points better in this scenario? $90 still in my pocket buys more than what I was able to redeem in points over the course of 12 months $90 vs $30 in points.

Which you then dismiss with this reply....

@darlicious wrote:

@Beer 

Of-course in your case it would be foolish to switch to the point system.  And if you also add the community rewards you undoubtedly receive PM must be paying you at the end of each cycle. 

So if others have already mentioned and answered your burning questions why have you questioned my replies at all?

I will be sure in future to turn my attention and effort to members actually interested in my reply who whether they choose to use my advice or not are at least appreciative that I took the time to answer with their considerations in mind.

If all else fails I am sure contacting customer support will solve any issue you may have....

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@BEER 
Last year A&W was testing their organic coffee and I was picked to get free coffee any size for 1.5 months…It was good coffee.

I like the Timmies dark roast. As for the McD coffee, I scan my app to get a reward punch and I also remove the sticker for a double double rewards. LoL

BEER

Thanks - but I'm good.

BEER

@popping wrote:

I stop halfway to get a McD coffee and rest for a few minutes.  With the old McD reward, I get a free coffee for every 7 coffees I purchased.  I need to buy lots of coffees before getting a free coffee with the new McD points system.

Not related to the topic - but be careful drinking McDonalds Coffee. In my experience every time I would drink McD coffee I would get a bit sick. Then I watched a segment on TV reporting that many get sick from McD coffee. It turns out that the reason is that McD does not use glass carafes or coffee beans - they use coffee syrup  mixed with hot water in stainless steel containers. What gets people sick is the cleaning chemical residues remaining in these containers after they clean them. Perhaps now after this problem aired they may more thoroughly rinse the containers but I for one prefer my Tims.

BEER

@darlicious wrote:

@BEER 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

The new points system is designed by PM to stop the bleeding of subscribers with low price plan after a few years with PM.  PM was kind enough to let the old timers to stay with the old system.  New subscribers will start with the new system.  PM will get better cash flow to improve the community and self-serve portal etc.

Existing customers can decide themselves whether to stay or switch to the points system.  There is no one solution fit all situation.

The first time I read about the PM points system, my reaction was oh no anther reward change similar to McD.  I walk about 5km per day.  I stop halfway to get a McD coffee and rest for a few minutes.  With the old McD reward, I get a free coffee for every 7 coffees I purchased.  I need to buy lots of coffees before getting a free coffee with the new McD points system.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@BEER   FYI, I m looking through old posts, Killer23d switched to new system by mistakes, opened ticket with PM and confirmed that PM won't switch people back to the old system.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Introducing-Public-Points-Rewards/m-p/7...

@BEER 

No bravo to OP. But every one has their reasons and needs. 

Staying on on the old rewards is the way to. Thanks to Grandfathering, PM. 

But Points are still an excellent sell for a new customer. 

@BEER 

BEER

@darlicious wrote:

@BEER 

You say -

BEER

@softech wrote:

@BEER wrote:

Will cut and paste from PM rewards page--

Happy Anniversary

Earn 10 points for every 12 months you stay with us. Does this not mean for example (36 months/12) X10 = $30

@BEER 

No, it means 10 points at the end of your  12th , 24th, 36th month... only 10 Points  🙂

Honest, Loyalty reward is the main deal breaker .. it helps Telus to save a lot on users that stayed long. I see those on the new reward has less to no incentive to stay loyal anymore

Ohhhhhh so again PM explanation is not well thought out ---- for those that will disagree - they could have said something like -- Earn 10 points for every 12 month cycle to a maximum of 10 points. Instead of stating "every 12 months you stay with us".

Update: Just noticed on my cheap 3 year old  $10 plan that I switched to points that they awarded it $30 loyalty points - Just perhaps they do mean 10 points  "every 12 months you stay with us". But again PM descriptions are not clear and just perhaps they should hire a lawyer someone that is familiar with contracts  to go over their pages.

If you peruse the Bell Mobility site you will notice asterisks and fine print disclaimers and more then adequate detailed explanations.

Happy Anniversary

Earn 10 points for every 12 months you stay with us

@BEER 

@BEER wrote:

Happy Anniversary

Earn 10 points for every 12 months you stay with us. Does this not mean for example (36 months/12) X10 = $30

@BEER 

No, it means 10 points at the end of your  12th , 24th, 36th month... only 10 Points  🙂

Honest, Loyalty reward is the main deal breaker .. it helps Telus to save a lot on users that stayed long. I see those on the new reward have less to no incentive to stay loyal anymore

@will13am wrote:

It could be of value to new customers with higher priced plans.  

New customers have no choice: they have to accept new Points system and live with it. Better something than nothing. And if one really do not want any discounts, one can opt out from any Points and pay full price.

BEER

Happy Anniversary

The old system is beneficial to longer term members on the lower priced plans.  The new system is a graded reward system that returns a percentage of funds spent.  It could be of value to new customers with higher priced plans.  

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Everybody is different and if Points work for you - go for it!

It is good we have an option and every (old) customer can decide based on conversation here and reading different opinions.

Need Help? Let's chat.