cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swap phone numbers with Telus

arahmanfahad
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I am planning to get a 5g plan from Telus. But I don't want to cancel my public mobile service. Is it possible to swap the number with Telus and not cancel the service?

Usually, when you port, the service is cancelled. I want to take my public mobile number to telus and the telus number to public mobile, without losing the rewards and service. I have around 60 referrals which I don't wanna lose. Let me know if its possible.

21 REPLIES 21

@AE_Collector 

I think the number was originally from telus but had been ported in from lucky to pm.

@arahmanfahad 

Was it a rep at Telus mobility who found the number for you and used it to create the new Telus Mobility account? I could see that happening as Telus is more “full service” AND you are desirable to them as a new customer.

The surprising part is that the number became available to Telus for reuse on a Telus cell phone rather than returning to Lucky Mobile. Maybe it takes awhile for that to happen so it comes down to the customer service person.

AE_Collector

@arahmanfahad 

Luck was on your side! I'm happy to hear your number was originally from telus making it possible to retrieve it from the number pool. I'm glad it all worked out in the end.

@arahmanfahad wrote:

@computergeek541 Well actually the number was available in the pool. That’s why they were able to do it.

i changed the number from self-server first. Then when the number was available. They activated that number for me on a new account.

They were always able to do this, but weren't supposed to.   As far as know, that directive still applies.

@arahmanfahad wrote:

@computergeek541 Well actually the number was available in the pool. That’s why they were able to do it.

i changed the number from self-server first. Then when the number was available. They activated that number for me on a new account.

@arahmanfahad  thanks for sharing your experience.

You may be setting a precedent for future members inquiring about doing this. 🤔

arahmanfahad

@hTideGnow wrote:

@arahmanfahad so, your old number is now with Telus and you keep your PM account with a new number?  Glad they are doing it again  now.  I think they used to do this but they stopped.  I wonder if the fact that your number was going to Telus made them bent the rule a bit..   

They're not supposed to do this. A phone number isn't supposed to be sent to another account, and at one point, Public Mobile was clearly and actively forbidding this from being done.  I'm happy that @arahmanfahad was able to get this done, but I suspect that reporting back about this on the message board could lead to a crackdown.

arahmanfahad

@hTideGnow yeah old number is with Telus. And pm is on a new number right now. My old number was activated with Telus in like 2hours after first contact with the CS_Agent Razvan

@arahmanfahad so, your old number is now with Telus and you keep your PM account with a new number?  Glad they are doing it again  now.  I think they used to do this but they stopped.  I wonder if the fact that your number was going to Telus made them bent the rule a bit..   

Glad it all works to your liking.

arahmanfahad

I was able to swap the numbers with the help of CS_Agent - Razvan.

He transferred my number to a new sim card and account, and I ported to Telus from the new account. Thank you so much Razvan for helping me out.

@hTideGnow 

The OP said they are planning to get a 5gb plan with telus.....thus had the number originally been a telus family number they may go the extra mile to retrieve the number to gain a customer. Now that we know it's a bell number it's as Joey says " Its a moo point."

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@esjliv wrote:

Why leave a good thing?

@esjliv sometimes people wonder why PM has such a generous rewards program.  This is precisely why--to help discourage you from leaving!  Some people go on indefinitely with nothing but maybe AutoPay and eventually loyalty rewards and to them it may be less of an issue to leave those behind for greener pastures.  But for anyone that's managed to groom a network of referrals, it's a win-win for PM as they have gained customers and are far less likely to lose the referrer as one.  (And repeat, if those referred customers go on to become referrers themselves.)

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@arahmanfahad wrote:

Hi, I am planning to get a 5g plan from Telus. But I don't want to cancel my public mobile service. Is it possible to swap the number with Telus and not cancel the service?

Usually, when you port, the service is cancelled. I want to take my public mobile number to telus and the telus number to public mobile, without losing the rewards and service. I have around 60 referrals which I don't wanna lose. Let me know if its possible.

@arahmanfahad  Whoa, what is your secret!

You are probably getting free service with Public Mobile now. So if you want to open an account with TELUS may open a new account with a new number and see how that goes.

Why leave a good thing?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@arahmanfahad 

so you have around 60 referrals and you want to go to Telus why !

if you like to go to Telus, your PM account will be port to Telus and you lose everything with PM, 

you can go to Telus and getting New number from them.and keep your PM account...

@darlicious   you sure Mobile carrier are still doing it these days (at least without a fee?) ?

I heard they are not picking specific number for anyone anymore.   Of course unless you pay or unless you have connection.

arahmanfahad

@darlicious Sadly, my current number was originally from lucky mobile, ported to public mobile.

@arahmanfahad 

Most important here is keeping your pm account. Is your current pm number from the telus family (telus/koodo/pm) originally? If so you have a small possibility of retrieving your number but all the work will come from the telus side.

Talk to customer service at telus and ask them if co-ordinated....you can port in or choose a new number for your pm account by using the change number function in your self serve account. Once done pm will release your number back to the original provider where it sits in the hold number pool typically for 60 to 90 days before being released into the available number pool.

If telus is willing to retrieve it from the hold number pool immediately after its released by pm then bingo you got your number back. If telus is smart they will so they can start making money off you again...lol!😃

Note: 

A perfect candidate for @Michael6  's idea of being able to use available funds for pm CPU purchases.

arahmanfahad

@hTideGnow Yeah, almost $60 in rewards lol. I don't pay anything for the plan. That's why I don't really want to lose the service.

By the way, any idea how long does it take to get the number available again when its closed? So, I can activate the same number again?

@arahmanfahad   honest, no known workaround.

you have many friend referral and loyalty referral?

arahmanfahad

@hTideGnow Yes, any workaround to get it done?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@arahmanfahad  you try to port your number to Telus but keep the plan with a new number on PM?

Sorry, NO.. this cannot be done.  

Once ported, your account will be closed.  

Yes, this is one of the most asked question here 

Need Help? Let's chat.