cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Success Porting from 7-11 Speakout to PM

pmbc
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I read some previous posts about trouble porting from SpeakOut to PM and I wanted to let everyone know I had a susccessful port without having to contact CS_Agent.  I input my number to port out (of course), selected Speakout Wireless as the carrier and input the IEMI from my phone.

While I was waiting I looked up posts in community to see if there were issues for others and there were various posts saying that the PIN was required instead of IEMI so I started to get concerned.  I did not receive any text from SpeakOut asking me to verify if I wanted to port my number out.  About an hour in I did some testing and I could still dial out from my SpeakOut SIM but texts (imessage) were going to the PM SIM.  I could also dial out from the PM SIM.  Inbound calls would go straight to SpeakOut voicemail.  

I think the process took about 6hrs because I received a text message from SpeakOut about 6hrs after I started the process saying that there had been a port out request to them for my number and if it wasn't me making the request to call them immediately with a 1-800 number.  There was no confirmation from PM that it was completed but everything was working.

So if anyone is looking to port out from 7-11 SpeakOut service, it can work without intervention from support with just the number and the IEMI.

Hope this helps someone who might be looking to do this same port out.

18 REPLIES 18

Golek
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I missed one thing. At some point I received a text with a code to input in the PM activation page. So physical access to unlocked phone is needed, same as responding yes.

All carriers should choose that way: confirmation with a code received as text to input in new carrier activation page. Without the need to send any message. 

Golek

I am surprised at one thing. I thought, as other providers advertise, that I had to reply YES to a text to confirm the port of the number. Hence my fear to not be able if my balance at Speakout was zero. But it was not a message to reply to, just a notification with a phone number to call if the port was not intended.  Good for me. 
that raises some issues though. If one knows a phone is turned off or its owner not near it for a couple hours (at night!), a port can be successfully made without the owner intervention nor knowledge, provided the thief knows name of owner, carrier and IMEI.

am I missing something?

Golek

It took about an hour for the old sim to deactivate. PM sim worked right away when inserted (restarted the phone as suggested by text message from PM received right when inserted sim).

easy process 

all good

Golek

1-Installed the PM app on the phone keeping old sim in.

2-activated with the SIM number and chose to transfer number with IMEI. The old sim is still in the phone. 

3-received a text message from PM with a code to use to confirm transfer activation process in PM app

4-received a text message notifying of transfer with a phone number to call if not intended

5-activation complete, PM app says and shows subscription, data available etc

6–old sim still in the phone, now waiting for old sim to disable (not receiving texts any more I guess) at which point I will put in the PM SIM for first time and all should work.

7-will update when finished. 

Golek

Postponed to today, waiting for my daughter to wake up (that’s her phone actually). I will post result here. 

pmbc

@Golek was it a success?

Golek

That fee was my concern. 
i still receive text messages but of course cannot send. I cannot reply to a message with a yes if asked. I’d have to top up $25 to send anything.

but I understand people don’t get asked, this is just a text message with a number to call in case this is not intended correct?

pmbc

@Golek good question, I'm not sure.  As long as it's still active it should be OK.  But is it still active with 0 dollars?  There is a monthly 9-11 fee that's deducted from the available credit.  Has it been 0 dollars for a while?  Your number still working with a 0 balance?

Golek

Will do exactly that tonight. Should be done by the morning.

Does this below have an impact on portability?

I have zero dollars on this number at speakout. Number still active as last top up was about 90 days ago. 

Golek

Yes

pmbc

interesting.  Maybe there's an overlap where SMS will work on both SIM's for a little bit.  I've never investigated that.

@pmbc- You're probably right but I'm sure I've seen that Public will send a success text that the old sim will get. Most people wouldn't bother waiting that out. So then they wonder why incoming calls aren't working. The old sim will still get incoming.

pmbc

@dust2dust wrote:

You could actually leave the old sim in the whole time until you get a success text from Public. Then you can put the new sim in.

@dust2dust I think you meant receive a text from SpeakOut.  You won't get a text from Public until the Public SIM is in the phone. 😉

pmbc

@Golek What I would do is keep the Speakout SIM in your phone and start the activation.  Wait for the text message from Speakout telling you a port request has been done and to contact them if it wasn't you.  At that point take out the SpeakOut SIM, insert the PM SIM, reboot your phone and test it out.  Test outbound/inbound calls, outbound/inbound text messaging and data.  Keeping in mind it may take a while, in my case 6hrs.

I was impatient so I was checking functions on the old SIM and new SIM to see what was working, but it probably would have been less stressful if I just let the process complete before trying things out.  During the process inbound was working on one SIM but not outbound and vice versa on the other SIM.

Hope it's a seamless port for you! 🙂

You could actually leave the old sim in the whole time until you get a success text from Public. Then you can put the new sim in.

Golek

Hi, thanks for posting this. I am about to do the same but I am confused about the sims and the phone. When you start the activation you put the new sim in the phone, then you have to put back the Speakout sim to wait for the confirmation text message and when this is done you put back the new PM sim and good to go. 
is this correct?

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 

I mentioned that I supplied my SO PIN # as I am certain the # which I provided is correct.  I know that it was overkill. I don't want to wait up to 7 days to get help.  That number is used by a senior.  She does not speak English and she take transit to senior exercise class almost every day..

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Porting-number-from-Speakout-Apply-also-t...

@pmbc 

Yes, port a SO number out takes time.  It took about 4 hour when I port a SO number a few years ago.

Most providers need only 3 piece of info to port a number.

- Account number

- Name of account owner

- Phone number to be ported

But SO does not have account number.  Use the IMEI # of your phone using at SO.

@pmbc wrote:

I read some previous posts about trouble porting from SpeakOut to PM and I wanted to let everyone know I had a susccessful port without having to contact CS_Agent.  I input my number to port out (of course), selected Speakout Wireless as the carrier and input the IEMI from my phone.

While I was waiting I looked up posts in community to see if there were issues for others and there were various posts saying that the PIN was required instead of IEMI so I started to get concerned.  I did not receive any text from SpeakOut asking me to verify if I wanted to port my number out.  About an hour in I did some testing and I could still dial out from my SpeakOut SIM but texts (imessage) were going to the PM SIM.  I could also dial out from the PM SIM.  Inbound calls would go straight to SpeakOut voicemail.  

I think the process took about 6hrs because I received a text message from SpeakOut about 6hrs after I started the process saying that there had been a port out request to them for my number and if it wasn't me making the request to call them immediately with a 1-800 number.  There was no confirmation from PM that it was completed but everything was working.

So if anyone is looking to port out from 7-11 SpeakOut service, it can work without intervention from support with just the number and the IEMI.

Hope this helps someone who might be looking to do this same port out.

The account PIN should almost never be used for number porting and the option should be treated as a last resort..  At one point, I got the impression that Public Mobile was considering eliminating the option entirely to use the PIN for porting, and in the past, I have read reponses from CSAs saying that they won't submit a manual request if only the PIN is provided. 

The account PIN is just too easily confused with phone device PIN/password, account PIN, SIM card PIN, device network unlock PIN, or even voicemail password.

Need Help? Let's chat.