cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange phone pop up today.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

Hey PM Community,

I was using my wifes phone today and I was going to make a call, but just before a strange message popped up.

It said click wireless service you would like: and it had Bell, Rogers, Telus with the Wifii symbol. The public mo ile symbol was no longer scrolling in the top left.

I closed the pop up and made a call and it rang through. 

My question is, has anyone experienced this before? i have never expeiwmced this in my mobility life time so 2002. 

And secondly should I just ignore it.

I tried asking the help bot, and I also asked in the community help bar and couldnt find anything specific to this. 

thank you in advance for the help. 

18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

I still don't see the harm in answering any call. I'll answer it. Junk. Block. If I get a human I'll ask them to remove me from their calling list. I perceive that this has worked over time. But usually they're just robocalls with a recording. Block. Their software could know if the number works by not getting an error anyway. So answer it anyway and then block. It's not difficult.

My Public Mobile Call Blocking

Just keep blocking. Eventually you will get it under control.

Keep in mind you may be blocking legitimate numbers as these callers “may” use legitimate numbers. It is called “Spoofing” which consists of altering the caller ID to show a different numberthan the one actually being used for making the telephone call. This is frequently done to mislead the person receiving the telephone call into believing that the call is either local, or from a trusted organization.

So before you block check your contact list to make sure you are not  blocking a number you would expect a call from. Also Google 800Notes and can confirm, sometimes, if it is a call that you absolutely don’t want. I have had a call from my own number. They spoof a number that is in your calling area to make you feel more confident to answer. 

I don’t recommend registering with a DO NOT CALL LIST. It puts your number on a list that callers CAN call you. SEE HERE

THE BEST WAY TO CONTROL SCAM/SPAM CALLS IS TO CONTROL THE SITUATION YOURSELF.

Also....be very suspect of a SCAM call if your caller ID only shows a number and no name. The name often comes from YOUR contact list on your device.

Keep your contact lists up to date AND block, block and block some more!!

?Changing your number is not a good idea if it was previously used. ?

I too would also suggest to use the DO NOT DISTURB settings on your phone as well and make sure you set what options work best for you. If iPhone SEE HERE. 

LurganIeUk_0-1587144062600.png

Also SEE HERE for more information on blocking calls on both Android and iOS devices.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lixiaxie wrote:

I did block them individual ! But they are not same number each day!

Yup. Just keep at it. They'll eventually die down. I have about 90 in my block number list.

Although when I changed to a never used number recently they seemed to have stopped altogether. Which makes sense I guess. And it is one of the suggestions.

lixiaxie
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I did block them individual ! But they are not same number each day!

@lixiaxie what type of phone do you have?

lixiaxie

I got fraud call more than 10 times each day,I am wandering how to avoid fraud call from a computer or robot!

@lixiaxie if you are getting a lot of calls from unknown callers. Block them individually. Welcome to PM. Stay safe 

@lixiaxie no it wasnt a call, although I get thise regulariy to my phone number. 

lixiaxie

is it fraud call

I got fraud call more than 10 each day

@gblackma I checked her phone the settings are set to automatic for network and her iPhone doesnt have set public to default  but it does say autmatically connects to public. But yeah all good for now. 

@Naepalm wrote:

@LurganIeUk when I opened the phone it came up like almost like an opeating system notification. It was really strange, I had never seen this before ever. 

Can I suggest....Google the symptom and your phone model and see if there are common issues. 

@gblackma yeah me either like since I have had a phone ever. Ill check network settings. What was weird was I was onviously on publics network because the call went through fine. 

so strange. 

@LurganIeUk when I opened the phone it came up like almost like an opeating system notification. It was really strange, I had never seen this before ever. 

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Naepalm wrote:

Hey PM Community,

I was using my wifes phone today and I was going to make a call, but just before a strange message popped up.

It said click wireless service you would like: and it had Bell, Rogers, Telus with the Wifii symbol. The public mo ile symbol was no longer scrolling in the top left.

I closed the pop up and made a call and it rang through. 

My question is, has anyone experienced this before? i have never expeiwmced this in my mobility life time so 2002. 

And secondly should I just ignore it.

I tried asking the help bot, and I also asked in the community help bar and couldnt find anything specific to this. 

thank you in advance for the help. 

Pop up as in a text with a URL to click? Don’t click, don’t open, block number, delete text. 

Pop up as from a browser because phone was connected to data or wifi? 

Don’t click, don’t open, block number, delete browser history and cookies. 

How did it arrive on phone? 

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Naepalm this has never happened to me. Check the network provider list. To prevent the message, you may have to manually select PM as your network. 

@Naepalm when it's looking for a service to connect too, it will do that. yes ignore it. and if it keeps happening, just reset your network settings

@Triguy my wifes phone is an iPhone XR. She only had one SIM in the phone. It didnt show up as I was dialing just when I opened her phone it popped up. 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Do you have a dual sim phone ?  With dual sims, you need to select which sim to use when calling.

Need Help? Let's chat.