cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still seeing 3G after upgrading to 4G

Malzaeem
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It has been over 10 days since I switched to 4G plan, but I still see 3G every now and then.

19 REPLIES 19

lyylwygaj
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This is likely due to your location and services coverage.

since you have a fairly new iPhone, the device is fully capable of 4g connection from itself.

you might live at a location with weak lte signal, thus the phone frequently fall back to 3g. Or it failed to revert back to lte once a phone call ended.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Malzaeem 

If your phone switches between 4G LTE and 3G networks when not in use then you have a weak 4G LTE signal. It's possible you have a poor connection to the network. Toggling airplane mode on/off will re-establish a better connection if that's the case. If someone else in your household has an Android phone you can check the signal strength in their phone settings. iPhone does not have this option.

In an Android phone go to Settings>>About phone>>sim card status>>signal strength....mine hovers between -100dBm and -105dBm which is okay ( I have no issues.) That reading for the 3G network is worrisome. If its below -110dBm then its not surprising you have issues. Normally you would want it -95dBm and above whereas my 3G network signal is around -65dBm whuch us excellent.

Malzaeem

Probably, but I’ll wait to see what the CS_Agent thinks. Thanks!

So there you go then. It's your phone or your area. These new 4G plans are about speed, not connection.

I was recently somewhere very rural that barely got reception. It would drop itself down to HSPA when I turned on data. Where I live is quite urban. I get 2 bars just sitting here resting on 4G. It shoots up to full bars when a call happens.

Malzaeem

Before upgrading to the 4G plan, it used to switch back and forth between 3G and LTE but it was mostly showing 3G.

Currently, it also switch back and forth between 3G and LTE but mostly it’s on LTE like 60% of the time it’s on LTE and the rest is on 3G

Malzaeem

I already did reboot my device and took the sim out multiple times now, and just contacted CS_Agent and waiting for their response 

Are you meaning up top on the status bar?

Before you changed plans did it always say 4G or LTE or did it also flip back and forth between 3G and 4G? Remember that this place has always been on 4G. It's just that the speed was throttled down to 3Mbps and they marketed it as so-called 3G. Maybe you're in a somewhat weak 4G area and so the phone is scrambling to connect to something and it finds 3G or HSPA.

@Malzaeem 

Last thing to do…reboot your phone by powering the phone off then power it back on.

If all fails, contact a CS_Agent to look into it for you.

Malzaeem

Will do and if that solves my issue will update the thread, thanks!

Malzaeem

I have it set to LTE for both Voice & Data

@Malzaeem 

tried Switch To 4G

still not get 4G then contact support team by CS_Agent  to check your account is on 4G.

@Malzaeem 

PM only operates on 3G and 4G/LTE.

Go to Settings>Cellular>Cellular Option Data>Voice & Data and click on 4G.

Malzaeem

Yes

Malzaeem

I’m seeing them while browsing the internet (not while calling) and in carplay too it shows 3G 

Malzaeem

I have an iPhone 13 which supports 5G

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Malzaeem 

Is your Network Selection on automatic?

It will pick the strong signal where you at your current location.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Perhaps you're seeing the phone drop down to 3G for calls. Where are you seeing these mentions of 3G?

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@Malzaeem 

use browser from computer,clear cache and cookies and use one page inPrivate mode,

To Login Page

and go to Plan & Add-ons is show you 4G.

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@Malzaeem 

turn off device take out SIM card reinsert back on.
reset network,

what your device brand and model is your device support 4G.

Need Help? Let's chat.