cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed test res

qberry
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi i switched from 3g to 4g speeds months ago expecting to notice a difference with sending files etc I didn't notice that much of a difference. I decided to look at the settings on my phone and the network only shows LTE, 3g/2g as mobile network.  I did a speed test and got 45 Mbps max. Is this right? I thought i would get closer to 100 Mbps

also what is the upload speed? When I upload photos to uber eats it takes so long it's annoying, I thought for sure when I switched to 4g I would see a faster outcome, but it didn't change. it literally takes 20 seconds to send a photo.

Thoughts?

23 REPLIES 23

qberry

Screenshot_20230529-143725_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230529-143214_Camera.jpg

on my phone that is the lowest I can set the photo size 5.2 MP i guess that means mega pixel?  I looked at the data size of a photo and it's actually only 2.6
MB so even more stumped to why it takes so long to upload..

I guess it has to be Ubers app that is doing some processing or something and causing it to lag behind.

anyway thanks for all the replies, I learned it is what it is.

hi @qberry so each pic around 5Mb ? chexk the phone settings,  should be able to lower the res

qberry

Hey, yeah I have my camera set to the lowest size 5 MB, I don't know if Ubers photo app has it set higher or isn't optimize. or my phone is just so sold and slow, I will talk to a fellow uber eats delivery person with a newer phone and ask how long it takes to upload a photo.

HI @qberry 

Try lower the resolution of the picture as well.  It will have smaller picture size and can use less Data

Question, is that Uber has some special mobile deal with Rogers or Bell?

qberry

q1.jpgq2.jpg

not in the 90's 😞 better than earlier but i guess this is fine.

qberry

yeah this is the built in app I have to use with uber eats to send photos to customers and it takes so long , maybe it's the app.

Good tips @Typhon .  But it's trouble iMessage only send to iPhone users.  My usual list of friends are half Android half iPhone.  Hard to keep track to send via different app

Typhon
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

When possible I use iMessage -  When I use SMS and MMS  no matter how good reception I get, larger photos just don't sent at all unless I reduce them  substantially  down to less then 1 MB -- 

qberry

yeah I will know for sure by tonight, I am going to visit my same friend and I will do a speedtest out there and see what the results are. Thanks for all the replies.

hi @qberry 7KM is far away , it uses different towers 

please try at different area.. Since you are at downtown, a 10 mins awalk would be using  different tower

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@qberry 

Makes sense....less population density, less network traffic, faster download speeds.

qberry

my friend lives 7 km North west from me out of the downtown core and he gets full speed... miles.jpgmiles 2.jpg

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@qberry 

Download speeds especially are dependent on network traffic. The more people using the same 4G LTE network and furthermore the same cell tower will slow your download speed. Download speeds are "up to 100mbps" and upload speeds are "up to 20mbps".

@hTideGnow 

A "3G" plan is 4G LTE data throttled to 3mbps but the fine print says "up to 2.5mbps". The 3 G network is unthrottled and will give you up to 20+mbps but typically average 10 to 12mbps.

HI @qberry   downtown toronto, But CN Tower could have lots of interfrence.  

My close friend works DT right on Front. Using Rogers,   Always have dropped calls , it's the CN tower causing the issue

qberry

Samsung Galaxy S8 pretty old by today's standard yeah? 

ok I will ask my friend he is on public too. with a newer phone.

@qberry what phone you have?

ask your friends using Telus/Koodo/Bell/Virgin/Lucky to run a speed test beside you together .  You can then tell if local network issie

qberry

Major City dead center downtown Toronto

@qberry upload speed is decemt, not bad

same with download speed

are you in major city? or rural?  as @hTideGnow said, try different area 

qberry

WhatsApp Image 2023-05-28 at 15.17.12.jpg

qberry

downloaded the app 44.1 Mbps Down and 10.3 Mbps up

@qberry @uplaod speed could be around 10-15 Mbps

try speed test from speediest.net/app

qberry

hey, yeah i used the speedtestdotnet through chrome and it only showed a download test. I know they usually do an upload test after but, it didn't for me.

yeah the download is for sure faster than 3g I see..I am located downtown Toronto near Eaton center thought I would get close to 100Mbps  I guess I can try again in a different area.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI@qberry 45Mbps is not bad, not the best.  You can get as much as 100Mbps.  But you definitely getting 4G speed and not 3G.  If 3G , you will be just 3Mpbs or less

Did you try speed test in different area?  some places could have weaker network, weaker LTE 

What is your upload speed?  Yes, upload speed is ALWAYS lower, a lot lower.  When you do the speed test, check the upload speed result.  And do the test in different area.  But don't do too many tests, each test wast a lot of data

Need Help? Let's chat.