cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam calls from different numbers within my own number's last 4 digits

beakbird
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I keep getting non stop (every 5 minutes) soam calls from phone numbers with the same first 6 digits as my own number 

If I answer it hangs up after 3 seconds 

The calls repeat every 5 minutes from different last 4 digit numbers 

12 REPLIES 12

@beakbird 

this happened to me last year. it'll stop after a day or two. 

devlimbani09
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The first 6 digits are given based on the region and the service provider. Thus the first 6 digits of the incoming number can be the same as yours.

@beakbird on Android, Look for something like:

Settings > Blocked Numbers > Block Calls From Unidentified Callers 

See if android has similar options. As they often do. 

Tsawwassen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I feel your frustration. Unfortunately once you answer one of these calls you're in big trouble because that tells the computer generated call that your number is active and then sold to scammers. I had the same misfortune that forced me to change phone numbers - and I now very seldom answer calls from unknown numbers. I know that this defeats the purpose of having a phone but what can one do?

beakbird

I am on android 

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

If on an iPhone you CAN do something about it. There is a setting to not allow calls to "ring" on your phone if the number is NOT in your contacts list. But can leave a voicemail and will show in recents. See here. 

And there is another way of setting up in DND. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@beakbird , use the spam guard on the phone app, see if that helps.  

beakbird

What if it never stops?

Meow
Mayor / Maire

You cannot do much regarding these spam calls. No use of blocking numbers as they are all spoofed.

Do not answer and just have to live with that. Eventually they will stop. If you answer they would know it is active number and continue.

beakbird

It's hard to ignore.

Calls every 5 minutes and can't block 9999 numbers.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@beakbird   just ignore them.  This is called Caller ID spoofing.  They tried to make the calls look like from real number to trick people form answering.  it happens with any providers, not a PM issue

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID_spoofing

Need Help? Let's chat.