cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal curiosity

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Wasn't sure where to put this

So, I've been playing a bit with an app that measures signal. It's got a total of 6 readings - it offered me a free update to the pro version so of course I said yes lol

But for whatever reason, the 5 other readings all seem better strength than the one my device chooses to use. Anyone with more know how about this stuff happen to know why this is 

I've cropped out possible location revealing info, but these are all from the same screen cap (I don't have an app that will merge these together)

Screenshot_20220522-223920_Network Cell Info~01.jpg

Screenshot_20220522-223920_Network Cell Info~02.jpg

Screenshot_20220522-223920_Network Cell Info~03.jpg

The last 4 seem to be the same actually, but why isn't my device defaulting to the second reading ? 🤔

This is under wcdma only

10 REPLIES 10

I work in the industry 🙂

Community_QA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@sheytoon that are some great info.  you work in Telus? or at least in the industry?

Pawprints1986

Just for kicks, I tried the same bands at a family members home, which is not ground floor of a 3 story apartment, fairly close to another 3 story apartment building...  wish they made signal boosters made for apartments in a city, but they all need to go on the roof of a house which I can't do (and those sticker things I've heard are just cheap crap)

Screenshot_20220525-192442_Network Cell Info~01.jpg

Screenshot_20220525-192513_Network Cell Info~01.jpg

3G channels are 5 MHz wide, but LTE channels have different bandwidths, namely 5, 10, 15 or 20 MHz. When measuring the signal strength, 3G uses RSSI to measure the total wideband power, but LTE uses RSRP, which are specific pilot signals on some subcarriers. It's not an apples to apples comparison.

For a 20 MHz LTE channel, the RSRP value tends to be about 30 dB lower than RSSI.

Screenshot_20220523-132043~2.png

As for the readings reported in the app, it's hard to say without having more info. It's possible those readings are not accurate for the 3G neighbour cells.

great thanks for the heads up

Pawprints1986

@JL9 it's called "network cell info" - there's a lite version and full version

I was playing with "lte discovery" before that, but then it forced an update which took away most of the info, I couldn't see signal strength at all, just which lte band, and on wcdma not even that much, so it became quite useless 😕

@computergeek541 wrote:

The phone will choose the best connection automatically ...

The best signal ... that it can use, that's it's allowed to use.

The local network machinery is spewing radio to every device in range almost indiscriminately. The phone radio hardware itself might even be capable of interfacing with all sorts of frequencies, bands, channels, and protocols that it isn't actually using.

Because the provider is only allocating certain signals (along with limited signal provisions) to each subscriber. All the rest of the radio traffic to and from the network is essentially irrelevant "signal" the phone does not and cannot actually use. It's chatter and packets from all the other subscribers who are active within range of the local network. The fancy app probably measures everything the device radio is able to detect but most of what it's monitoring appears to basically be noise instead of signal.

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

Wasn't sure where to put this

So, I've been playing a bit with an app that measures signal. It's got a total of 6 readings - it offered me a free update to the pro version so of course I said yes lol

But for whatever reason, the 5 other readings all seem better strength than the one my device chooses to use. Anyone with more know how about this stuff happen to know why this is 

I've cropped out possible location revealing info, but these are all from the same screen cap (I don't have an app that will merge these together)

Screenshot_20220522-223920_Network Cell Info~01.jpg

Screenshot_20220522-223920_Network Cell Info~02.jpg

Screenshot_20220522-223920_Network Cell Info~03.jpg

The last 4 seem to be the same actually, but why isn't my device defaulting to the second reading ? 🤔

This is under wcdma only

The phone will choose the best connection automatically.  There are many factors to consider including battery consumption, capacity, terrain, etc.  Also, the strongest signal is not always the best.  A phone could decide to connect to band 2 for a number of different reasons, although band 5 would almost always be stronger due it being a lower frequency. There's also the issue of potential cell breathing where you could be sent to a different "tower" as the coverage of one of those towers shirnks when capacity is near saturation.  While I'm not too familar with the technical aspects, some devices might not even be reporting pure signal strength but rather the "cleanliness" of the signal.  I have a hunch that @sheytoon could probably explain that better.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

What app is this? 

Pawprints1986

The same under LTE at least seems to make sense with the order it's choosing, though reception itself is worse (which is why I'm not looking forward to wcdma sunset in a couple years)

Screenshot_20220522-225202_Network Cell Info~01.jpg

Screenshot_20220522-225202_Network Cell Info~02.jpg

Screenshot_20220522-225202_Network Cell Info~03.jpg

Need Help? Let's chat.