cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shame on Public Mobile

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

It's one thing to raise plan prices. It's another thing entirely to raise plan prices and at the same time advertise a "Sale" at the old price! Seriously? Your marketing department needs a shake up.

23 REPLIES 23

@BearFBI wrote:

@HALIMACS wrote:

What would be a REALLY great offering is allowing current customers grandfathered to change plans and retain the 'old' pricing regimen for a period of about 6 months to allow them to settle into a plan which best suits their needs.

100% ill need to upgrade my plan eventually once summer starts and ill be stuck with province wide options. This mostly only effects new customers but it also effects OLD customers when it comes to switching plans.

If you are in need of a better plan for summer only....why not suspend your plan, get a new plan and let it go after summer....ah but I see.....another phone number. 

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@HALIMACS wrote:

What would be a REALLY great offering is allowing current customers grandfathered to change plans and retain the 'old' pricing regimen for a period of about 6 months to allow them to settle into a plan which best suits their needs.

100% ill need to upgrade my plan eventually once summer starts and ill be stuck with province wide options. This mostly only effects new customers but it also effects OLD customers when it comes to switching plans.

Bear in mind, this only affects FUTURE customers who are activating beyond the Limited Time Offering period.

@astreexo , you will retain the benefits of the plan you chose last year.  It will be grandfathered.

The only real downside to existing customers (and i know there are folks on this Community who don't like looking at downsides - but in reality, how else can users make informed decisions otherwise), is that beyond the Limited Time Offer date, any plan changes will most likely not be permitted between the Canada-wide pricing plans without paying the extra $5.00.

astreexo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I must say I was surprised of plans' price changes after being a year abroad... 

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Luddite wrote:

To save some angst:

• Current active customer plans are grandfathered 
  • no change to price of add-ons
  • any new customer who takes, or current who changes to, the "sale" offers will also be grandfathered 

Wonder what Lucky/Chatr competitive response will be. 🤔

They'll all do the same thing in the end, sadly

Leaving
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

My provider/carrier hasn't given me data yet.

Still looking for $25 - $35 plan with 2gb-4+gb data.  Yeah, this $5 increase is ****.  Why are Canadians still tolerating this?  Low income ppl can't afford this crap.

I mostly consider PM for the discounts but I am not a guy who goes crazy "recruiting" customers,  to be honest, but I used Autopay and $1 discounts.

But, Lucky is doing similar deals and promos?

Koodo appears to be overpriced, imho, but I have read others state they are "in the middle " in terms of pricing, so probably no surprise there.

@Nezgar 

Is the sale not a 2 in 1 deal?

1. MAINLY 30 days notice of change 

2. A sale

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@kb_mv wrote:

It's one thing to raise plan prices. It's another thing entirely to raise plan prices and at the same time advertise a "Sale" at the old price! Seriously?

All of the previous canada-wide calling plans are still available (except for the old $15 plan) at the old pricing "for a limited time". But yes I agree it is pretty silly to frame that as a "sale." Get your plan changes and referral signups locked in before the canada-wide plans are increased by $5.

@HALIMACS 

This has always been the practice around here, the calls to numbers in the province you are sitting in at the moment are included. So if you move from bc to ns and keep your number you will be able to call in your new providence locally, but you would need to get add-on to call back. To reach you people in the new province would need to have Canada wide calling bit people in old wouldn't. 

Fongo will really come in handy with free forwarding and free call transfer.

@kb_mv I agree. Unfortunately with this move, PM slowly loses its competitive advantage and becomes less compelling to new customers.

@Luddite wrote:

To save some angst:

• any new customer who takes, or current who changes to, the "sale" offers will also be grandfathered 

How official is this post? Should it not come from @Catherine_T

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

"The introduction of a Province-wide calling plan comes as a result of our commitment to give you more options on features and provide savings to help you create and customize the plan that’s right for you. "

yeah.. result of commitment and provide savings...  what a joke.

@RossN wrote:

OMG what did I miss lol is this for real?

It does seem like  a bad dream, doesn't it?  At a time when Public Mobile's plans were falling behind the competiton, rather than making the plans better, the plans were made worse.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

OMG what did I miss lol is this for real?

mh1983

@Naepalm wrote:

The public is obviously trying to find creative ways to keep going and at the same point raise their prices. I don't really see an issue with it. This should have been more like a disclaimer than an announcement. There is no sale to be had LOL. I guess I'll be staying on my Canada Wide 15.00 plan forever now LOL

They really should have just come in full price, then in two months offered a break on it. I have been out of the loop a bit. Nice to see a suggestion I gave last year, Public pulled the trigger on. (Selling phones compatible with Public.)  Although when I suggested it I was told, yeah they will never do that. 

Overall, Im ok with what they have done with their plans. Not a huge game-changer. 

Naepalm

Yeah, it's not so much what they did, but how they did. The optics are not good. As a previous poster said, if this was released as a disclaimer/warning instead of a sale with market fluff, it'd be in better taste.

mh1983

@Luddite wrote:

To save some angst:

This clear summary post is appreciated. Thank you!

@Luddite wrote:

To save some angst:

They'll either copy or do nothing and end up embarassing Public Mobile.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

The public is obviously trying to find creative ways to keep going and at the same point raise their prices. I don't really see an issue with it. This should have been more like a disclaimer than an announcement. There is no sale to be had LOL. I guess I'll be staying on my Canada Wide 15.00 plan forever now LOL

They really should have just come in full price, then in two months offered a break on it. I have been out of the loop a bit. Nice to see a suggestion I gave last year, Public pulled the trigger on. (Selling phones compatible with Public.)  Although when I suggested it I was told, yeah they will never do that. 

Overall, Im ok with what they have done with their plans. Not a huge game-changer. 

Naepalm

@kb_mv wrote:

It's one thing to raise plan prices. It's another thing entirely to raise plan prices and at the same time advertise a "Sale" at the old price! Seriously? Your marketing department needs a shake up.

and so it starts

I suppose that Public Mobile was asking for it with these changes.   The act of saying something that is on sale when the product never sold for a the higher advertised price is something that some call "ficticious pricing".  Public Mobile is allowed to set the prices at whatever they want, but let's not pretend that these changes are a good thing in any way for the customer.  

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

THIS  IS  PATHETIC!!!

I WILL NOT be recommending Public Mobile any longer.

You've just lost two customers asking me about switching over to the $25 - $35 plans in the next month or so.

Check out the Provincial calling rules of engagement, for anyone wondering how Public Mobile will deal with it:

Province-wide calling means you can make outgoing calls to any number within your home province. Plus, you’ll receive all incoming calls from across Canada regardless of the province they’re from. Outgoing calls to a number outside of your home province will require a Long Distance add-on. If you’re travelling to another province, you can make outgoing calls to any number within that province while you’re there, but you won’t be able to call your home province. You’ll still receive unlimited incoming calls. To call your home province while traveling, you will need a Long Distance add-on.

To save some angst:

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

mh1983

Normally, I get excited to see these announcements, because PM has always offered something of value to its customers. Splitting between Canada-wide and province-wide isn't the issue for me; as others have noted, it's the fact that they have the existing plans masquerading as a "deal" at a price that was already established. I'm surprised that they didn't think its customer base wouldn't notice.

Gunner123

@kb_mv wrote:

@kb_mv  I hear ya it's pathetic

Need Help? Let's chat.