cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up APN on iPhone 6S

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

I have tried for a few hours to set up my APN and no luck even though I have read several threads on here and submitted a ticket! I can put in sp.mb.com under APN but no other options listed besides Username and Password. The last 2 (MMSC and MMS Proxy) options to finish it do not show up. I have reset network settings, rebooted and still not able to see it any different. I can make calls but text messages does not work. I am getting very frustrated. Someone please help me.

Here’s how to set up data in 3 steps:1) Tap:

• Settings
  • Cellular
  • Cellular Data Network

2) Input this info:

46 REPLIES 46

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@LitlLdy wrote:

I changed my number and now have a working service. 

Glad you got it working.  This outcome further supports the diagnosis of an incomplete port, and the issues would have been observed regardless of phone type or phone settings.

You mentioned your account with your previous provider still appears as active, so:

1. You may still have the option to port the number over if you want to keep the number.  But, perhaps it's more trouble than it's worth and you're okay with losing it.  If you want to port over, you might have to wait 30 days due to PM's rules with number changes (but not sure if another port would be exempted from that).
  2. If you don't care to port your number, you should proactively terminate your services with your previous provider, so you aren't paying for services you aren't using.  As you probably know from previous porting, a complete/successful port should automatically close your old account, but it seems this didn't happen.

@LitlLdy wrote:

@CalgaryBen wrote:

@LitlLdy wrote:

Also when I call out my caller ID shows the number I ported. So I am really confused.

That's expected and normal, as your PM account is live and outbound calls will work as expected.  However, the rest of the world calling your number will likely be routed to your old carrier instead of PM.

Same with inbound text messages -- they are likely being routed to your old carrier.  The weird thing is that your outbound text messages are also failing.

Taking a new number is likely to resolve things, but since you'd like to keep your number, don't do that yet.  Mods should be able to see why your port failed (could be wrong account number, discrepancy in other account information, etc.).

I’m about to give up! I need working service and with disabilities I don’t leave home without a phone service that works. My luck has been bad lately and thats an understatement. Thank you for trying to help me. You tried. 

I gave up. It’s 4:50 am. I need a working phone service for emergencies. So I fixed it myself & changed my phone number and have working phone service now. Tired, irritable, hungry. Going to try to sleep. 

@Dunkman wrote:

I can call out, not receive calls, text out but it’s not received. I don’t have another phone. Never needed one and have never in over 4 years had an issue with my phone with any carrier.

Sometimes texting with iMessage needs troubleshooting.  

So, it still could be an incomplete port or account provision issue.  Moderators are off until morning and hopefully, will contact you to fix your account in the morning.

Putting your sim in another phone just offers more useful troubleshooting information, but in your case, another phone is not available. 

I wasn’t using iMessage.

I gave up. It’s 4:45am. I changed my number and now have a working service. 

I can call out, not receive calls, text out but it’s not received. I don’t have another phone. Never needed one and have never in over 4 years had an issue with my phone with any carrier.

Sometimes texting with iMessage needs troubleshooting.  

So, it still could be an incomplete port or account provision issue.  Moderators are off until morning and hopefully, will contact you to fix your account in the morning.

Putting your sim in another phone just offers more useful troubleshooting information, but in your case, another phone is not available. 

@CalgaryBen wrote:

@LitlLdy wrote:

Also when I call out my caller ID shows the number I ported. So I am really confused.

That's expected and normal, as your PM account is live and outbound calls will work as expected.  However, the rest of the world calling your number will likely be routed to your old carrier instead of PM.

Same with inbound text messages -- they are likely being routed to your old carrier.  The weird thing is that your outbound text messages are also failing.

Taking a new number is likely to resolve things, but since you'd like to keep your number, don't do that yet.  Mods should be able to see why your port failed (could be wrong account number, discrepancy in other account information, etc.).

I’m about to give up! I need working service and with disabilities I don’t leave home without a phone service that works. My luck has been bad lately and thats an understatement. Thank you for trying to help me. You tried. 

@Dunkman wrote:

@LitlLdy 

If possible, try your PM sim card in another phone.  To help determine whether it is a hardware issue versus PM Service problem.  

Since you can't text out, it does not make sense that it is an incomplete porting issue.  If your port is stuck, you should be able to call and text out.  Not be able to receive text or talk.  Maybe account provision issue.  

@LitlLdy 

If possible, try your PM sim card in another phone.  To help determine whether it is a hardware issue versus PM Service problem.  

Since you can't text out, it does not make sense that it is an incomplete porting issue.  If your port is stuck, you should be able to call and text out.  Not be able to receive text or talk.  Maybe account provision issue.  

CalgaryBen

@LitlLdy wrote:

@LitlLdy wrote:

@88cranston wrote:

@CalgaryBen wrote:

@LitlLdy wrote:

@LitlLdy wrote:

Hi, I have now reset network settings for the 5th time (have done previously 4 times before your message) and text myself to Talkatone. It wasn’t received. Text myself from Talkatone and text not received. Called Talkatone call went through. Called from Talkatone call not received. 

Also, it has no issues using up my data yet I can’t use my phone. I am not happy about this. 

Turn your data and wifi off to test text. 

OH -- data isn't your problem?  Since you were looking into APN settings, I assumed your data wasn't working, since APN and cellular data go hand-in-hand.  If it's strictly call and text that's problematic, then it has nothing to do with APN whatsoever, and sounds like an incomplete port.  And, apologies for the misguided suggestion to do a network reset... an incomplete port would be out of your hands and not something you can correct from the device.  Your tests/results also support that the port didn't go through.  This would definitely require intervention of Mods, so it's a bit of a waiting game.

Also, you privately messaged that your previous carrier is still showing up as active?  If you put your old SIM card in, are you able to call out, and SMS and all that?  If so, then this would even further confirm an incomplete port...

Can you send receive calls?

Can you iMessage to an email address?

Try a hard boot. Hold power button and home button down till you get the Apple and wait to finish. 

I replied to your last message on here but it didn’t show up!

I don’t have my old sim. I didn’t think I would need it. 

With this sim I can call Talkatone but when calling my phone from Talkatone it keeps ringing but not on my phone. It never goes to my phone. 

I dont know if I can imessage from ported number to an email address. It’s 2am and not a good idea to do that to anyone that I want to talk to again haha 🤣 

I have hard booted it many times. I will try it again. 

As my previous message would changing phone number fix issue? Not that I want to lose my number. 

@88cranston wrote:

@CalgaryBen wrote:

@LitlLdy wrote:

@LitlLdy wrote:

Hi, I have now reset network settings for the 5th time (have done previously 4 times before your message) and text myself to Talkatone. It wasn’t received. Text myself from Talkatone and text not received. Called Talkatone call went through. Called from Talkatone call not received. 

Also, it has no issues using up my data yet I can’t use my phone. I am not happy about this. 

OH -- data isn't your problem?  Since you were looking into APN settings, I assumed your data wasn't working, since APN and cellular data go hand-in-hand.  If it's strictly call and text that's problematic, then it has nothing to do with APN whatsoever, and sounds like an incomplete port.  And, apologies for the misguided suggestion to do a network reset... an incomplete port would be out of your hands and not something you can correct from the device.  Your tests/results also support that the port didn't go through.  This would definitely require intervention of Mods, so it's a bit of a waiting game.

Also, you privately messaged that your previous carrier is still showing up as active?  If you put your old SIM card in, are you able to call out, and SMS and all that?  If so, then this would even further confirm an incomplete port...

Try a hard boot. Hold power button and home button down till you get the Apple and wait to finish. 

I replied to your last message on here but it didn’t show up!

I don’t have my old sim. I didn’t think I would need it. 

With this sim I can call Talkatone but when calling my phone from Talkatone it keeps ringing but not on my phone. It never goes to my phone. 

I dont know if I can imessage from ported number to an email address. It’s 2am and not a good idea to do that to anyone that I want to talk to again haha 🤣 

I have hard booted it many times. I will try it again. 

As my previous message would changing phone number fix issue? Not that I want to lose my number. 

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@CalgaryBen wrote:

@LitlLdy wrote:

@LitlLdy wrote:

CalgaryBen

@LitlLdy wrote:

@LitlLdy wrote:

@LitlLdy wrote:

@CalgaryBen wrote:

@LitlLdy wrote:

I can put in sp.mb.com under APN but no other options listed besides Username and Password.

Don't waste your time trying to set the APN -- you can't and don't need to.  If you're entering a value for the APN, you're actually setting the hotspot APN which won't help you in this case (per: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/FYI-iOS-and-APNs/m-p/332449/highlight...)

@LitlLdy wrote:

I have reset network settings, rebooted and still not able to see it any different.

Many people have found that resetting network settings 2 or 3 times finally does the trick so I'd recommend re-resetting 1-2 more times!  Settings --> General --> Reset --> Reset Network Settings --> (passcode if prompted) --> Reset Network Settings (to confirm).

If that still doesn't provide you with cellular data, I would recommend trying MMS (picture/video messaging) with someone that's not on an iPhone.  Also, what happens when you send SMS (regular text) to them.  Do you see a failure, or does it just go into the ether?  If you don't have a non-iPhone user you can text, I'd suggest installing an app called TextNow.  It'll let you pick a local phone number, and is like a phone-inside-your-phone.  You can then text to/from the virtual phone from your iPhone's message app, to test.

The reason for this test is to see if SMS sending/receiving works, along with MMS which uses the data channel (but doesn't consume data); the MMS going through means you have a cellular data connection intact.

See where this leads you, and we can do further troubleshooting if it doesn't get you far.

@CalgaryBen wrote:

@LitlLdy wrote:

I can put in sp.mb.com under APN but no other options listed besides Username and Password.

Don't waste your time trying to set the APN -- you can't and don't need to.  If you're entering a value for the APN, you're actually setting the hotspot APN which won't help you in this case (per: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/FYI-iOS-and-APNs/m-p/332449/highlight...)

@LitlLdy wrote:

I have reset network settings, rebooted and still not able to see it any different.

Many people have found that resetting network settings 2 or 3 times finally does the trick so I'd recommend re-resetting 1-2 more times!  Settings --> General --> Reset --> Reset Network Settings --> (passcode if prompted) --> Reset Network Settings (to confirm).

If that still doesn't provide you with cellular data, I would recommend trying MMS (picture/video messaging) with someone that's not on an iPhone.  Also, what happens when you send SMS (regular text) to them.  Do you see a failure, or does it just go into the ether?  If you don't have a non-iPhone user you can text, I'd suggest installing an app called TextNow.  It'll let you pick a local phone number, and is like a phone-inside-your-phone.  You can then text to/from the virtual phone from your iPhone's message app, to test.

The reason for this test is to see if SMS sending/receiving works, along with MMS which uses the data channel (but doesn't consume data); the MMS going through means you have a cellular data connection intact.

See where this leads you, and we can do further troubleshooting if it doesn't get you far.

CalgaryBen

@LitlLdy wrote:

@LitlLdy wrote:

88cranston

I just did a hard boot. And turned off data and wifi and texted myself...it worked. Now I need a real test. 

@88cranston wrote:

It can take a while. Let me know what the resolution is please? Be interested if is a phone set up or an adjustment on the PM side of things. 

I will let you know. I haven’t even taken time to eat today. I’ve had so many issues with it. I certainly didn’t expect to go without phone service. Signing off. 

88cranston

It can take a while. Let me know what the resolution is please? Be interested if is a phone set up or an adjustment on the PM side of things. 

@88cranston wrote:

I hear you.  I was a rare texted because my Telus charge was 50 cents each. And it DID work. I was excited to move to PM to have all inclusive texting!! And now it is all a mess for me!!

I guess it is time for Mod help. 

I sent them a request for help over 4 hours ago. There was no number to be found to contact Public Mobile directly.

I know what you're talking about. I am trying to set up my sim APN as per post. For my phone to work. Sending and receiving text also. As stated the last 2 do not show up for me to configure. I have had my iphone for over 4 years. I have never had any issues with any other company.

Set Up Data On An IPhone

Here’s how to set up data in 3 steps:1) Tap:

• Settings
  • Cellular
  • Cellular Data Network

2) Input this info:

88cranston

I hear you.  I was a rare texted because my Telus charge was 50 cents each. And it DID work. I was excited to move to PM to have all inclusive texting!! And now it is all a mess for me!!

I guess it is time for Mod help. 

88cranston

Go to Settings, Messages (not iMessages)

I think you will see what I mean. 

@88cranston wrote:

If you go to:

settings

Is iMessage on?

send as SMS on?

MMS Messaging on?

Group messaging on?

Then in Send and  receive x addresses

You can receive iMessages to and reply from....do you have all phone # and emails checked?

Start new conversations from.......only your phone number is checked off?

I am confused by your message. Sorry. I am not looking for iMessage. My text messages should work (send and receive) which do not. I am looking to set up my sim settings correctly. Which per post is not working.

88cranston

I am not saying above is correct though. 

88cranston

If you go to:

settings

Is iMessage on?

send as SMS on?

MMS Messaging on?

Group messaging on?

Then in Send and  receive x addresses

You can receive iMessages to and reply from....do you have all phone # and emails checked?

Start new conversations from.......only your phone number is checked off?

@88cranston wrote:

@LitlLdy wrote:

I have tried for a few hours to set up my APN and no luck even though I have read several threads on here and submitted a ticket! I can put in sp.mb.com under APN but no other options listed besides Username and Password. I have reset network settings, rebooted and still not able to see it any different. I can make calls but text messages does not work. I am getting very frustrated. Someone please help me.

I have same problem doing texts over cellular network (I don’t mean cellular data). My iMessage of course works fine over wifi and cellular data. If I turn wifi and cellular data OFF the text (to a mobile number...not an email address) will go but I never seem to get an answer. But I have had some answers on iPad that is sitting at home and NOT to iPhone. I have sort of given up. I wonder if it is how iMessage is set up on iPhone and other Apple devices on same account?? 

Is this the same with you!

I can't send or receive text. I can make calls. I can not give up or I will cancel my account. I never had any problems with any other provider. I have been trying all day and pissed off. I am usually very patient but this is crazy. If I find a solution before cancelling I will let you know. 

88cranston

@LitlLdy wrote:

I have tried for a few hours to set up my APN and no luck even though I have read several threads on here and submitted a ticket! I can put in sp.mb.com under APN but no other options listed besides Username and Password. I have reset network settings, rebooted and still not able to see it any different. I can make calls but text messages does not work. I am getting very frustrated. Someone please help me.

I have same problem doing texts over cellular network (I don’t mean cellular data). My iMessage of course works fine over wifi and cellular data. If I turn wifi and cellular data OFF the text (to a mobile number...not an email address) will go but I never seem to get an answer. But I have had some answers on iPad that is sitting at home and NOT to iPhone. I have sort of given up. I wonder if it is how iMessage is set up on iPhone and other Apple devices on same account?? 

Is this the same with you!

@88cranston wrote:

Settings from Public Mobile web site for iPhone. I cannot do or see where to do the last two steps. Does any one know.  Re iPhone SE or 6S

4ED19C72-A005-435C-908C-0612C87B57EC.jpeg

Thats what I meant by my post. I have read several posts on this issue, googled many on it with no luck. I have been trying all day.

@ChuckYeah wrote:

It sounds like it's set up fine on your end, perhaps this is an issue only @CS_Agent can fix. Good Luck!

I sent message there before posting. So far I have lost one day of not being able to use my phone! In meantime I will keep reading. Thank-you for trying to help me.

88cranston

Settings from Public Mobile web site for iPhone. I cannot do or see where to do the last two steps. Does any one know.  Re iPhone SE or 6S

4ED19C72-A005-435C-908C-0612C87B57EC.jpeg

Need Help? Let's chat.