cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self Serve & Community - Reason to have two different accounts

raknahss
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is there a reason to have two different accounts to access Self Serve portal and Community portal ?
Why can't we have them linked to single account/credential ?

Excuse me for my ignorance if I am missing any fundamentals.

19 REPLIES 19

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Psygineer wrote:

I mean if you were to ask my father what kind of phone he has, he probably would say iPhone or cordless. It's a Lumia 650 (Windows Phone) for the record!

@Psygineer, Nice to see the Lumia's still out there.  I am just over a year away from them and do miss them but the app gap became to big for me to ignore.  I have the 830, 640XL, 950 and 950XL and am now running the Essential PH-1

If we lived in the same town, I would see if you would be willing to sell one or two of those to me. I realy love my parent's Lumia 650 (it's mine actually but I gave it to them because they know how to use Windows 10 and I figured it was easier than having them need to learn Android). Their Lumia 650 has started randomly rebooting and having trouble turning back on lately. I'd like to track down another Lumia for them.

Fun fact: My used S8+ I bought was a scam (Charging port and wireless charging were shot, it will charge on a pad, but you need to get it just right, and then lift and place it back periodically to keep it charging) and my LG G Flex (still love it despite the fact it is 5 years old, bought used, clearly was abused) has trouble running anything on Android 4.4.2. Plus it crashes while on imgur for some reason.

Well as I said @Psygineer, it's ideal, but not feasible.  It's cases like yours where you're the tech-guy/finance person for the accounts.  I get.

Public Mobile is one account, one SIMcard, one email address.  I love the simplicity.

@Psygineer wrote:

I mean if you were to ask my father what kind of phone he has, he probably would say iPhone or cordless. It's a Lumia 650 (Windows Phone) for the record!

@Psygineer, Nice to see the Lumia's still out there.  I am just over a year away from them and do miss them but the app gap became to big for me to ignore.  I have the 830, 640XL, 950 and 950XL and am now running the Essential PH-1

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Psygineer

@stonechucker wrote:

Ideally, every Public Mobile subscriber would manage their own accounts and have a matching community login to ask their own questions.

I know this isn't realistic, but that's what should be really happening.

Eh? I suppose I could set up an account for my parents and use that when they have a question about the service, but it's much easier for me to just do it from my own community account rather than either juggling accounts or having them post their own questions (most of which I can answer without having to trouble the community) and then have them be responsible to follow up. I mean if you were to ask my father what kind of phone he has, he probably would say iPhone or cordless. It's a Lumia 650 (Windows Phone) for the record!

Ideally, every Public Mobile subscriber would manage their own accounts and have a matching community login to ask their own questions.

I know this isn't realistic, but that's what should be really happening.

@Psygineer wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@popping wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

Another reason is some people manage multiple accounts from one community account. 

But you'll only earn community rewards in the email-linked account.

Are you saying that we can have one community account for each PM account?

I thought that one cannot have more than one community account.  When I contact moderator for my other account, I just include the account and phone # for my other accounts.

Of course you're "entitled" to...it's a separate paid account. But as mimmo_L said, you would want to be aware of posting here so as to not raise suspicion of gaming the system.

You just need a unique email address for each side.

I'm sure they have something in place to help prevent that kind of fraud. They track who gave you a Bravo, and I'm sure if Psygineer2 started Bravoing everything I said, even if it was just a blank post that some red flag would go off. Maybe if I was creative and used Spygineer no one would be the wiser. [evil laugh]

Just the members here is what is used to find out the users that are gaming the system.  It helps when everyone is watching for this type of activity

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Psygineer

@Anonymous wrote:

@Psygineer wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@popping wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

Another reason is some people manage multiple accounts from one community account. 

I thought that one cannot have more than one community account.  When I contact moderator for my other account, I just include the account and phone # for my other accounts.

Of course you're "entitled" to...it's a separate paid account. But as mimmo_L said, you would want to be aware of posting here so as to not raise suspicion of gaming the system.

I'm sure they have something in place to help prevent that kind of fraud. They track who gave you a Bravo, and I'm sure if Psygineer2 started Bravoing everything I said, even if it was just a blank post that some red flag would go off. Maybe if I was creative and used Spygineer no one would be the wiser. [evil laugh]

People keep watch. Oracle's keep watch. Suspicions get raised. They get investigated. They get called out.

I'm just saying that it is possible to manage multiple individual accounts attached to their individual community accounts via their individual email addresses. Bravo'ing and marking solutions is where it gets tricky.

I know I was trying to be funny due to the typo Spygineer being in the Nov 2018 top 5%. Since there is money attached, and the potential to bot, it only stands to reason that it is monitored. For me, even if I had 10 PM lines, I'm pretty sure I would only have one community account. It seems kind of pointless to have to switch logins to say something "on the right account". Mind you, to each their own and what works for others is fine. I have to say though that it was nice sort of being in the top 5% on the post. I honestly wasn't even trying for that, I just had free time and was trying to help others. If I was having to manage multiple community accounts I likely would have been stuck in the top 50% area, maybe top 25%. I still think that is a nice little side perk and would hate for it to go away because someone decided to game it badly.

@popping

Its very unlikely you actually are *useing* more than 1 SIM though

Managing is not same thing as being primary user (and its irrelevant anyways; the rewards you earn will be the same either way)

Plus if you had more than 1 community account you run the risk of talking to yourself (and the dreaded bravoing yourself)

@popping wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

@Anonymous

From a technical standpoint true but kinda irrelevant if using more than 1 SIM card

Unless the person is a shill sock puppet Cat LOL

@Anonymous wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Psygineer wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@popping wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

People keep watch. Oracle's keep watch. Suspicions get raised. They get investigated. They get called out.

I'm just saying that it is possible to manage multiple individual accounts attached to their individual community accounts via their individual email addresses. Bravo'ing and marking solutions is where it gets tricky.

Psygineer

@Anonymous wrote:

@popping wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@popping wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

According to the anoucement, they are building a new support system, lets see how it works when its here 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

I have no problems with that. I guess I could make accounts for all the various self serve accounts and login to them and participate, but too much hastle, and it could also look like I'm tryi g to game the system. 

popping

@Anonymous wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mimmo wrote:

mimmo

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@raknahss wrote:

Is there a reason to have two different accounts to access Self Serve portal and Community portal ?
Why can't we have them linked to single account/credential ?

Excuse me for my ignorance if I am missing any fundamentals.

Some people create a community account to find out about PM before they become a customer (not enough in my mind) and some don't become customers.  We also have people who are no longer a PM customer but still participate in the community.  Those are just two reasons to have to seperate accounts for the two different places.

ETA @NDesai lol I totally didn't even think of the 3rd party aspect.  I know it but didn't consider it lol

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

It is because the community is hosted by a third party carrier. In other words, it is out sourced. They might be able to link our accounts directly, but we don't want them to due to a privacy issue. The one thing that links our account is the email address, so make sure to have the same email on both accounts. 

Need Help? Let's chat.