cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

-Security issue -how to stop a MMS download -- potentially fraudulent message received

AlbsPhone
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

HI there,

I received a text message from a local number -but of an unknown person, I asked who it was, then received an MMS from them. Curious if it was a contact card, but still apprehensively, I tried to find more info about the mms by hold-clicking it to see if it would pull up the files details (like on a computer), but to my horror it started downloading it. I immediately, very quickly, turned my phone to airplane mode then reset it( thankfully the message hadn't finished downloading since I get very poor data reception at my home). Now every time I reset my phone it tries to download the message again and I have to in a panic, do the same process to abort the download every time. I was wondering if there was a way to stop this automatic download. I've even deleted the text message chain, but it pops back up and starts downloading the moment i remove my phone from airplane mode.

Also I find this quite crazy that you can't look up a MMS's details before downloading it, I image that a simple popup with the file type like ***.exe or whatever would prevent this type of horrible experience from occurring.

9 REPLIES 9

AlbsPhone
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
@will13am wrote:

Maybe the sending server senses the message not being completely sent and tries again. 

I think this is what is happening

@will13am wrote:

MMS auto download can be disabled at least with the Google messages app. Problem is there's no selectivity.

Thanks, good one, did it.

@fujiyama wrote:

Interesting problem... not sure if this will work but give it a try: 

With airplane mode still on, turn off mobile data, go Force Stop your messaging app, then clear the app's cache and data. Reset your phone.

Agree with you about not being able to see mms file properties though. For now I just delete all unknown messages without opening them lol.

Also did this, another good one.

I don't think my phone was compromised since I don't really get data at my property (rural) and the download didn't finish before I put in flight mode.

These combined suggestions seem to work, If it comes back again I will back up important files and do a factory reset.

Thanks everyone

Maybe the sending server senses the message not being completely sent and tries again.  I don't know OS version OP is using.  The more recent editions only allow installing anything from known sources such as playstore.  If you want to bypass this, authorization must be given.  

@will13am wrote:

How does factory reset help?  Anyway the clickbait is safe as long as you don't click it.  Just delete the suspicious stuff.  

@will13am   OP stated:

"Now every time I reset my phone it tries to download the message again".

Not sure what 'reset' they are referring to; sounds like the device may be comprised. 

A factory reset should generally remove a virus. If this is what this is. Hopefully, I am wrong though.

How does factory reset help?  Anyway the clickbait is safe as long as you don't click it.  Just delete the suspicious stuff.  

@will13am wrote:

MMS auto download can be disabled at least with the Google messages app.  Problem is there's no selectivity. 

Alright, so using @will13am 's method, disabling the auto download:

esjliv_0-1659928067871.png

Are you able to get to this setting to disable it, and would the message stop downloading?

It so, can you then delete the message in your messages app?

If you are able to do this, and then enable that setting again, I hope it stays away. If not, you may need a factory reset of the device. I only say this if all other suggestions are not working.

Are you able to back up what you need prior to doing this though?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

MMS auto download can be disabled at least with the Google messages app.  Problem is there's no selectivity. 

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Interesting problem... not sure if this will work but give it a try: 

With airplane mode still on, turn off mobile data, go Force Stop your messaging app, then clear the app's cache and data. Reset your phone.

Agree with you about not being able to see mms file properties though. For now I just delete all unknown messages without opening them lol

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@AlbsPhone 

if you received anything from unknown, don't open it just ignore and delete.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@AlbsPhone 

The message will expire in 10 days all on its own.

Need Help? Let's chat.