Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammers sending messages to Public Mobile Community/Private Messages

Andrews63
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone,

Every 2 days I get a scammer message as follows:

"Over $350 per day! Online work from home! Paycheck every day! Work remotely from the comfort of your home and receive your paycheck every day! No experience needed, no boss over your shoulder. Change your life today! Open this link, simply fill out the form and our manager will contact you shortly!"

There is no possibility to block them, because every time they use another sender's identity.

Anyone here is experiencing the same problem?

Andrew

16 REPLIES 16

welp
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@esjliv 

Thank you for your help! I guess this is one of the benefits of a forum, that we can help each other!

Hahaha yes, it's been a good excuse to indulge in some candy. 

You're welcome! I actually just learned that word recently! From reading a wikipedia article

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@welp - the accounts I manage with Public Mobile, SO FAR, have had no issues whatsoever. But, being around here a while it has helped to know the first steps to take if needed and best ways for managing current services.

Now that you have did your first post today (congrats : ) ) you know where to come if issues may arise.

btw, thanks, I learned a new word (inchoate). I thought perhaps you spelled chocolate incorrectly....being Easter Sunday and all there may be an abundance of that sweet stuff around.

welp

Have you reported all those in your inbox?

Just did! XD

And yes, I have already told my parents. They asian and they asked me what I have gotten them into. They get that I was trying to save them money, but they also wonder why the customer service seem so disjointed and inchoate.

Edit: customer service. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@welp  as part of referring family and friends give them a heads up that if they create a community account, to be cautious of any private messages that don't look right. May be have them reach out to you if they are unsure about something received.

The more people report these messages received hopefully Public Mobile can do something for reducing these.

Have you reported all those in your inbox?

welp

@esjliv wrote:

@welp - I would think it would be better (or lessened) since the new community forum updates earlier this year.

I really don't know how the community user names are found if no one is posting or contributing in the community in anyway.

But, I suppose just like when your phone number gets on a spam/scam calling list, this forum database has some access points to it? 

Yea that is what I am thinking. There is an access point somewhere.

The reason why I am a teeny bit annoyed is because I just referred family from freedom to this. No longer is there a customer service through a call center but through private messaging. Spam should be there along side customer support. You know what I mean?

I don't mind the spam, I can deal with that easy. But I just referred my parents and friends... 

I think telus should look into it. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@welp - I would think it would be better (or lessened) since the new community forum updates earlier this year.

I really don't know how the community user names are found if no one is posting or contributing in the community in anyway.

But, I suppose just like when your phone number gets on a spam/scam calling list, this forum database has some access points to it? 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

Strange I have been here over 5 years and have never had that may as the screen shot shows in my entire time here

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

welp

I don't think that this is considered normal. And the reason that "it is a public forum" doesn't mean that spam follows normally. 

Whenever you join a public forum like reddit, or quora, or even something business related, you don't get automatically get bombarded with spam through direct messaging. 

Is our account being leaked somewhere the moment after creation, where a spammer can SEO and just grab our account to send direct messages to?

I just created this account late last year, and I immediately got spam messages. I didn't even post anything! In fact, this is my first post!

These spammers got our addresses somehow instantly after account creation!

Yeah they will just keep popping up like whac-a-mole with new bs names

Yeah and i am assuming they are getting much better community rewards although jumping through all those hoops for a few bucks, not sure if it is worth it

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@Andrews63 wrote:

Every 2 days I get a scammer message as follows:

You must be very 'lucky' to receive spam in Community mailbox. I have not seen one for a long while.

Being public forum and letting Anybody to sign up even not being PM customer, it is to expect these creatures to try to take advantage of customers.

You can recognize spam immediately as it is send from FirstName_LastName ID. Nobody here is using such ID.

Have to live with it, same as with spam calls. You can always report/delete and forget.

Andrews63
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you all for your help! I really appreciate it! 😉

I see that it's a common problem, and since it's a public forum, there is no a viable solution.

The scammers are everywhere - all we can do is not to answer their messages and never contact them. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Andrews63 it's not good but we cannot avoid.  This is an open forum and everyone can join.   Just report spam

But can PM setup no private message if post never reach so many??

In fact , I think Public should set it up No Bravo after so many posts too.  I see some "referral code" accounts keep bravo the same 2 users in the last 2 weeks. Reported but look like PM has done nothing 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Andrews63  - select this at the top right of the private message:

esjliv_0-1650041070573.png

Then delete it. Make sure you do not click any links or attachments.

You can turn off your private messages option in your Community settings. Go under your AVATAR under My Settings - see below:

esjliv_0-1649727167987.png

Just make sure if you want to communicate with other members or customer support, you will need to turn this setting back on.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

We all get them on occasion. All you can do is report, ignore and delete. Don't click on the links in the actual private message.

Need Help? Let's chat.