cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saved voicemail disappeared

Alis_Ibiza
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, 

I received a voicemail on February 4th, 2022 and saved it. I didn't know that only saved it for 10 days and it has now disappeared from my mailbox. Is there a way to recover it? 

Also, is there a way to download the recording of a voicemail so I can save it on my computer instead of having to manually save it every 10 days? The only option I hear that sounds remotely relevant to that is "send this voicemail to a friend" but it sounds like that would only forward it to another phone's voicemail system, which is not what I am after. 

Thank you kindly. 

Alis

PS. I saw a message by Legend from 2015 saying "Your voicemail box can have 10 messages, whether new or saved. Each message can be up to 5 minutes in duration. After 10 days, a message, whether new or saved, is automatically deleted, unless saved. You do not have to wait until the 10th day to save a message (for another 10 days). Messages can therefore be saved indefinitely." Is this still accurate? 

15 REPLIES 15

Thanks for the mention @Alis_Ibiza - yes I still recommend YouMail to get emailed .mp3 attachment of voicemail recordings.

Fongo Mobile & freephoneline.ca also offer sending voicemail by email, but YouMail is better since it also does the text transcription which is great - it's good enough that most of the time you never need to actually listen to the message 🙂

HI @Alis_Ibiza   Power of the Community.  All those old posts are useful and you will be surprised how much some members here know.

@Alis_Ibiza    Yes, Nezgar seems to be resident expert on all things voicemail.  Good to hear you found a solution.  😊

Alis_Ibiza

@Nezgar offered this suggestion in a related thread: 

With Public Mobile's built-in voicemail service there is NO way to download the recording of a voicemail (to save it on a computer instead of having to manually save it every 10 days). But if you use an alternate voicemail service like Youmail, the voicemails will come to you via email with the recordings attached.

Look at setting up a free YouMail.com account. Use the instructions for Telus or Rogers, and they will provide a phone number and instructions to reconfigure your conditional call forwards, instead of the defaults used by Public Mobile voicemail service.

Then - all voicemails can be just emailed to you, and there is no limit and furthermore no need to dialin to listen to them. Even better, a text transcription is included (first 20 with free acct) with the email so most of the time you dont even have to listen to the sound file attachment.

Alis_Ibiza

Hi JL9, 

Thank you for the suggestion. I was going to do that as a last resort before I realized the message from February 4th was already lost. 

I would still prefer finding a way to download the recording directly rather than making a new recording from a different device of the message played through speakers (which would result in much lower sound quality). If the possibility exists at all... 

JL9
Mayor / Maire

If you don't want to keep resaving before deletion in perpetuity and really want that message. You could use another device(tablet/phone or laptop) and record it as a voice note and then have that saved wherever you want. 

@Alis_Ibiza   Yes, I re-did the test and this time was able to save the message for another 10 days.  The difference was that I had to wait until all the options were presented before selecting # 9, so I guess there is a way to save indefinitely as long as you remember to go back to save before the message is deleted.

Edit:  @Alis_Ibiza  BTW, there is no differences for the services that PM provides for different plans.  The only difference is the features included in each plan.

Alis_Ibiza

By the way, I just tried pressing 9 to re-save a message, and it worked for me... I didn't have any other messages in my inbox. I thought I only had room for 3 messages though. I usually get a warning saying "your mailbox is almost full" when I have 3 messages. Which is far from a limit of 10... hmmm... I wonder if the limit varies depending on the plan you have. 

Alis_Ibiza

Hi dust2dust, 

Thanks for clarifying Martin is no longer here. I did realize I mis-read the name - I'm so new to the Public Mobile community I get confused by the "sub-titles" of citizens, neighbours, mayors, legends, etc... 

I have tried 1-9 but it only restored the most recent voicemail I had deleted (which was unfortunately spam). Sigh... 

Alis_Ibiza

Huh... Interesting that pressing 9 to re-save wouldn't work... That's disappointing. 

I haven't found a way to save the message to the phone, and would be very curious to hear if anyone knows how to do that. If I hear anything elsewhere, I'll post it here. 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Legend or Martin are no longer among the living.

Does 1-9 work upon initially getting into voicemail? There was mention that that is an undelete.

@Alis_Ibiza   I just tried to save one of my messages that will be deleted soon.  PM recorded options, after listening to the message, are to replay, delete or re-save this message and to press 9 to re-save the message.  Unfortunately, everytime I press 9 to re-save the message, it doesn't recognize my entry.  Maybe there's a way to save the message to the phone somehow or maybe you can record it to another device?  

Alis_Ibiza

Hi Dabr, 

Thank you for your suggestion. The thread from 2015 where I saw Legend's message was only about storage (and duration) limit for voicemail, so unfortunately they didn't mention whether it was possible to download the recording to the phone or computer. I guess I could respond to that thread and ask Legend directly... I'll update this thread if I hear anything back. 

About saving messages indefinitely, what I interpreted from Legend's message was that if you select "save message" again before the 10 days are up, it saves it for 10 more days. So the way to save a message indefinitely would be to manually re-save it every almost 10 days (which sounds really impractical). 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Alis_Ibiza   I'd always heard that voicemail messages got deleted after 10 days and yes there's limit of 10 messages.  I've never tried to save any messages past the 10 days, but maybe someone did find a workaround.  Did Legend explain how to save the voicemail indefinitely?  Maybe you can try using the method and update your thread if it works.  Perhaps someone has already tried or found another workaround and will post their suggestions to your question, hopefully..

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Alis_Ibiza   Yes, there is a 10 days limit.  Sad to tell you the truth, once it is gone it is gone  😞

Need Help? Let's chat.