cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung S8 Active compatibility with PM ?

1946415cd
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello Folks.

My current phone is from the US and is an unlocked AT&T Samsung S7 Active that I bought 5 years ago that has worked very well to this point. Back then, I just inserted the Sim card and it was working fine.

I though I'd upgrade and bought a  S8 Active that is supposed to be unlocked and was also AT&T.

I inserted the sim from the S7 and its not working at all. I copied the APN from my old phone and still nothing.

I wondering if the phone is not compatible with PM? I tried my sim card from my Mexican Telcel phone and it did work.

The S8 phone specs are such...

Product Identifiers

Brand

Samsung

MPN

SM-G892A

Model

Samsung Galaxy S8 Active

Product Key Features

Chipset Model

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835

SIM Card Slot

Single SIM

Network

AT&T

Operating System

Android

Storage Capacity

64 GB

Manufacturer Color

Meteor Gray

Color

Gray

Model Number

SM-G892A

Connectivity

Bluetooth, 4G, 3G, 2G, GPS

Processor

Octa Core

Lock Status

Network Unlocked

Style

Bar

Features

heart rate, proximity, Iris scanner, Accelerometer, fingerprint

Screen Size

5.8 in

Memory Card Type

MicroSD

RAM

4 GB

Additional Product Features

Display Technology

AMOLED

Camera Resolution

12.0MP

Network Technology

TD-LTE/Fdd-LTE/TD-SCDMA/Wcdma/GSM

Cellular Band

GSM

Type

Smartphone

Network Generation

4G, 3G, 2G

30 REPLIES 30

HI @1946415cd   check if the device is clean here as well:

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

@1946415cd - so you saw other networks listed with the telcel SIM under mobile connections, but NO networks with the Public Mobile SIM card in the S8 Active? Best to test this after a restart with the Public Mobile SIM card inside, and perhaps a network reset.

I am trying to follow what you tried and did not try. If this was already mentioned, I apologize...did you try another provider's working/active SIM card into the Samsung S8 Active, and does it work?

If it does not work..what if the phone is locked with telcel https://directunlocks.com/en_ca/unlock-telcel.  ?

1946415cd

I live in Canada, I just happened to have a sim from when we spend the winter in Mexico.

I'll try your support link after I visit Telus tomorrow. 

Thank you.

1946415cd

Nope, that's way beyond my comfort level. I may be a retired tech but nope....

1946415cd

I hear you, but it does seem the most plausible explanation to this point. Sorry, I didn't get a chance to try the app you suggested, I have about 10 hrs fooling around with this phone and need to tend to other things. If there is the slightest chance that Telus / AT&T caused this I'm just going to give it to them to try and put a Telus Sim in and explain why it doesn't work.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@1946415cd  - What country are you in...Mexico? Because your public mobile SIM card would not work if that is the case.

Did CSA corroborate that information in the article with affecting your model for the Samsung S8 Active ? 

That article only mentions the S8+.

esjliv_0-1655686048249.png

Public Mobile Representatives customer support agents (CSA) can be contacted by either two methods, found here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@1946415cd 

So, is this phone working in any Canadian carrier now at all?

If you are cool with flashing ROM, you can try to re-flash a different OS and see if it helps .  

https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/galaxy-s8-active/firmware/

or LinageOS :

https://tweakdroid.com/lineage/samsung-galaxy-s8-active-sm-g892u-cruiserltesq/

It's a bit of work, but it might bring the phone back to life.  But do it only if you know what you are doing and do it with cautions

I don't know. I didn't agree with it when I read through it. It seems it was more about 3G. We have 3G here. The phone should work. Did you try the app I suggested? I wonder if a new sim would make a difference.

HI @darlicious   , So basically AT&T pushed down some updated to the phone and broke it?

1946415cd

I believe you are correct! Thank you.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Can you go into the Play store and find Samsung Band Selection and then try to set the networks in that. Open the app and tap launch band selection and select wcdma/lte. If you can.

1946415cd

It wasn't working well before I tried the Telcel sim and was originally a brand new never subscribed  AT&T phone, so I don't know how it could be locked to Telcel.

Hi @1946415cd locked to Telcel then?

1946415cd

Voice call is working with Telcel, nothing works with PM.

1946415cd

Possibly, I can't find how to enable LTE, it's like that option has been blocked.

1946415cd

I'm unsure how it could be locked to Rogers when it was a brand new AT&T phone?

1946415cd

When I follow your link to see if the phone is locked. With the PM sim in the phone, it doesn't come up with any other networks, with the Telcel sim in the phone it does come up with other networks.

1946415cd

I did do a network reset and its no better. I was also trying for hours with no luck before I thought of trying the Telcel sim. I will try my buddies Chatr sim when he gets back from vacation.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @1946415cd   is voice call not working too?

Try to put other sim card just to test, Telus, , Rogers. Kodoo, Bell, etc.  Try as many, just to confirm it the phoen is locked

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Or maybe it's locked to 2G/GSM, and 3G (HSPA or WCDMA) or LTE is disabled?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@1946415cd 

It sounds like your phone may be locked to Rogers. Do you know anyone with a Rogers, fido or chatr sim card that you can test in your phone? Or you could go to any of those providers retail locations and ask to borrow a sim card to check "compatibility". Have you ever had service with one of them?

If so you can easily call them and ask for the unlocking code by providing the IMEI #. If they give you a hard time just mention that not giving you the unlocking code upon request, in a timely manner and without charge is a code breach under the WCC and you are fully prepared to file a complaint with the CCTS and demand a resolution and compensation as a result of their refusal. That should illicit the unlocking code forthwith.....if this is the issue. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@1946415cd wrote:

I though I'd upgrade and bought a  S8 Active that is supposed to be unlocked and was also AT&T.

@1946415cd  - The North America S8 version should be fine with Public Mobile.

Are you sure the S8 is unlocked? Is it possible Telcel locked it to it's network somehow?

Maybe this can help to confirm if the phone is locked or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf30Xt6_egc

https://www.samsung.com/latin_en/support/mobile-devices/how-can-i-unlock-my-galaxy-device-if-i-forgo...

EDIT...to add - if all is unlocked the try a reset of the device's network settings:

Samsung Galaxy S8 / S8+ - Reset Network Settings
  1. From a Home screen, touch and swipe up or down to display all apps. These instructions apply to Standard mode and the default Home screen layout .
  2. Navigate: Settings. ...
  3. Tap. Reset network settings. ...
  4. Tap. ...
  5. If applicable, enter the PIN, password, fingerprint, or pattern then tap.

What frequency set are you connected to? Rogers may still have some active 2G functionality. Telcel does too. Telcel may have some 3G but the wikipedia is confusing.

So again, for Public purposes, what frequency set are you set on? Maybe it's set on 2G due to working with Rogers and Telcel. Maybe.

1946415cd

I'm not sure what the differences are between Public mobiles network and the Rogers network but, I threw a few bucks on to my Telcel account and the phone works perfectly and says Rogers/ Telcel at the top now.

That's not really a solution as I wanted to use my old S7 for Mexico Telcel and keep the S8 here at home on Public Mobile.

Did you also look at network types ie. LTE or 3G etc? Don't use 2G (although it may come in a set).

1946415cd

It's not black listed- was a brand new phone. If I look at network operators, I get "search for AT&T Microcell" or "Default Setup". When I select default setup, it will eventually say "no connection"

1946415cd

I think it did say "public Mobile" at one point but did not work. Now I just get  the signal bar and nothing else.

The phone was brand new and is not black listed.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@1946415cd 

It is compatible so it should work unless it is Blacklisted. You never know if it was purchased privately…It happens.

Just to be sure check:

https://www.imei.info/carriers/canada/ 

Dial *#06# for the IMEI number.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Please help define "not working at all". What status message does it say at the top where it normally says " Public Mobile" ? -- messages like "Network Unavailabe" could suggest the IMEI is blacklisted or the phone is actually still locked, but if that was the case you would think the Mexico SIM wouldn't work...

Try manual network selection and see if anything shows up (Rogers/Telus/Freedom etc).

Need Help? Let's chat.