cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung J1 phones no good with public mobile

walt2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi..I just spent part of the afternoon getting my PM port done from telus. The operator Michelle was nice and efficient trying to help me getting my SIM card to kick in.  She ended up say suggesting the Samsung J16 phone settings may need tweeking to get PM to work.  I called my local TELUS dealer for that kind of help --they do not deal with PM at all -- but the fellow did sent me a email link to change my settings. After about an hour I have found my phone is only about 33% compatible with PM.  I think I am going to buy another phone now.  My question is:  once I get a diff brand phone, do i have to get the entire port process done again? Or just revise the phone brand on my PM plan?   

5 REPLIES 5

If you purchased from Telus, it should work well in PM.  PM uses the exact same network as Telus. 

Did you try on Telus network? It will be as good  on PM as you were in Telus.

J1 has many sub-models, what exactly model is yours?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@walt2 wrote:

Hi..I just spent part of the afternoon getting my PM port done from telus. The operator Michelle was nice and efficient trying to help me getting my SIM card to kick in.  She ended up say suggesting the Samsung J16 phone settings may need tweeking to get PM to work.  I called my local TELUS dealer for that kind of help --they do not deal with PM at all -- but the fellow did sent me a email link to change my settings. After about an hour I have found my phone is only about 33% compatible with PM.  I think I am going to buy another phone now.  My question is:  once I get a diff brand phone, do i have to get the entire port process done again? Or just revise the phone brand on my PM plan?   

@walt2 

Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

• 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).

Please note that this information is indicative only. Your phone's compatibility with our 4G or 4G LTE networks is based on the radio frequencies of your phone. Public Mobile does not guarantee that your phone will work on our mobile network.

Always good to check whether a phone will work with any provider, especially Public Mobile. Use more than one source to be sure.

https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker/CA

https://willmyphonework.net

What exact model do you have?

Here are a couple, one good, one not. Check out your model in above links.

Samsung J1 - this one is not good:

esjliv_0-1623366407702.png

Samsung Galaxy J1 (2016) - this one is ok:

esjliv_1-1623366456402.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

any device Telus, it's compatible with Public Mobile,

if your phone is older I suggest you to buy a brand new better for your a new technology and more fast to used.

your welcome to public mobile

with a Beautiful Service

you will be very happy

Good Luck

walt2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It was a Telus purchase.  I admit I am venting here.  It's an older phone, and after going to a setting site, I found out it is only about 33% compatible now with PM.  I've bought a new phone.   

@walt2 

Since it worked at Telus, it's compatible with Public Mobile. There are some phones that people have purchased elsewhere that are only comptible with LTE (but not HSPA). Was this phone purchased from Telus?

Number porting isn't related to phone compatibility. 

Need Help? Let's chat.