cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy download update

ShaoLynne
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a Samsung Galaxy S20 5G phone that stated “update available” – Have tried 2x. First time, screen flickered between 19-22 hrs as “download time”?? After 40 min. system threw me out as I reached data limit (I’m on $15/mo PM plan). Second time (2nd monthly billing period) tried again, download got to 86% and threw me out again on reaching my account data limit. Now, I have to wait till next monthly billing period to regain data limit and try again. Does this seem right to anyone? I know I’m on cheapest PM plan but to go through 3 months to download system update? Something seems wrong here. Any suggestions? [Also, Google states most system updates take about 30 min.]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

softech
Mayor / Maire

@ShaoLynne  Turn off Mobile data and ONLY USE WIFI to download OS update or security update (as well as your app update on Google Play store).  They are huge and can easily drain your data.  In your case, you could have already used up all your data

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

softech
Mayor / Maire

@ShaoLynne  Turn off Mobile data and ONLY USE WIFI to download OS update or security update (as well as your app update on Google Play store).  They are huge and can easily drain your data.  In your case, you could have already used up all your data

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Use wifi for all your large downloads. Turn OFF data to apps that you don't use on a regular basis.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

NEVER use data on your phone to do ANY update. Use WiFi; it is free and more reliable than cellular data not to mention it is waste of cell data...

ShaoLynne

Thank you for your answer but I am a senior with 1st cellphone and don't know how to do what you are suggesting... "use wifi"...

ShaoLynne

Thank you for your answer but I am a senior with 1st cellphone and don't know how to do what you are suggesting... "turn off mobile data and only use wifi"...

ShaoLynne

Thank you for your answer but I am a senior with 1st cellphone and don't know how to do what you are suggesting... "turn off data to apps and use wifi for large downloads..."

Good that you're asking these questions.

Is there a tech savy member of your family to ask for help ? Maybe some neighbour could show you ?

ShaoLynne

actually, no

@ShaoLynne wrote:

actually, no

That is NOT a issue at all!

If you want to learn a little bit more about phones and how to optimally use them, just express interest here and many very helpful people will try to help and educate you. It is never too late to learn new stuff. 😀