cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy download update

ShaoLynne
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a Samsung Galaxy S20 5G phone that stated “update available” – Have tried 2x. First time, screen flickered between 19-22 hrs as “download time”?? After 40 min. system threw me out as I reached data limit (I’m on $15/mo PM plan). Second time (2nd monthly billing period) tried again, download got to 86% and threw me out again on reaching my account data limit. Now, I have to wait till next monthly billing period to regain data limit and try again. Does this seem right to anyone? I know I’m on cheapest PM plan but to go through 3 months to download system update? Something seems wrong here. Any suggestions? [Also, Google states most system updates take about 30 min.]

23 REPLIES 23

ShaoLynne

Thank you so much for your help and information

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

I would suggest to always leave mobile data off until you wish to use the internet when not connected to a wifi service.

All of your apps also have a setting to use data in the background. Turn that off.

The phone also has an option to flip over to mobile data if you lose the wifi connection. Turn that option off.

The phone also has options to update the operating system and apps on either wifi or mobile data. Turn that to wifi only.

ShaoLynne

Do you mean turn off "mobile data"? I'm looking at my phone and trying to find answer on google search.... Not sure what you mean by "set your phone right and focus on wifi"...

Please please please focus on wifi. Whether you might have it at home or just about anywhere. It's quite surprising how much you can get by using just wifi. The plan you're on is a comparably small amount of data. You've discovered that things on the phone can suck down a crapload of it. My jaw dropped to read that you did a system update over several months using up your data each time. But if you set your phone right and focus on wifi then you can likely stretch that 250MB quite reasonably.

ShaoLynne

I am pulling up the site now. Thank you so much

@dust2dust  LoL.. yes, the title said it all.. not enough sleep  🙂

@softech- Please read the first post.

ShaoLynne

Thank you. I read the manual and looked at youtube videos about the specific phone etc but still such a novice 😞

ShaoLynne

yes, I have internet at home with Fibre OP wifi, my phone is Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G

ShaoLynne

I found this on a google search https://www.samsung.com/my/support/mobile-devices/how-do-i-set-my-device-so-that-it-only-downloads-s...

This is what you meant? I'll try it. Thank you for your help

ShaoLynne

I found this site for an explanation https://www.samsung.com/my/support/mobile-devices/how-do-i-set-my-device-so-that-it-only-downloads-s...

I'll try to do it this way. Thank you for your help

ShaoLynne

I google searched and found https://www.samsung.com/my/support/mobile-devices/how-do-i-set-my-device-so-that-it-only-downloads-s...

I think this is what you meant. Thank you for your response.

@ShaoLynne wrote:

Thank you for your answer but I am a senior with 1st cellphone and don't know how to do what you are suggesting... "turn off data to apps and use wifi for large downloads..."

@ShaoLynne   First, do you have internet at home and does it setup with Wifi?

And , let us know what kind of phone do you have

@ShaoLynne wrote:

actually, no

That is NOT a issue at all!

If you want to learn a little bit more about phones and how to optimally use them, just express interest here and many very helpful people will try to help and educate you. It is never too late to learn new stuff. 😀

ShaoLynne

actually, no

Good that you're asking these questions.

Is there a tech savy member of your family to ask for help ? Maybe some neighbour could show you ?

ShaoLynne

Thank you for your answer but I am a senior with 1st cellphone and don't know how to do what you are suggesting... "turn off data to apps and use wifi for large downloads..."

ShaoLynne

Thank you for your answer but I am a senior with 1st cellphone and don't know how to do what you are suggesting... "turn off mobile data and only use wifi"...

ShaoLynne

Thank you for your answer but I am a senior with 1st cellphone and don't know how to do what you are suggesting... "use wifi"...

Meow
Mayor / Maire

NEVER use data on your phone to do ANY update. Use WiFi; it is free and more reliable than cellular data not to mention it is waste of cell data...

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Use wifi for all your large downloads. Turn OFF data to apps that you don't use on a regular basis.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@ShaoLynne  Turn off Mobile data and ONLY USE WIFI to download OS update or security update (as well as your app update on Google Play store).  They are huge and can easily drain your data.  In your case, you could have already used up all your data

Need Help? Let's chat.