cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SHAMING NEWBIES IN THE FORUMS

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

I am a newbie.  I joined Public Mobile and the Community on August 18, 2020, just over a month ago.

As a newbie, I have been making a number of newbie errors in the forums such as wrong answer, repeating what had already been answered, etc etc etc

When a very knowledgeable member call the error in the forums, that is called shaming the newbie, albeit how polite the counter-response is, still a pie in the face. 

I am seeing quite a number of wrong replies (including mine) from newbies lately.  And I get annoyed myself (lol) when the reply is obviously wrong or nothing to with the price of rice. lol  And that is coming from me, another newbie.

These wrong replies in the forums might be confusing to the members who are asking for help, don't you think?

So may I suggest that instead of shaming newbies in the forums, their wrong replies be deleted and then send the clueless newbie a short pm saying "Sorry, your reply was deleted on this thread (name the thread) because (reason)."

So, what do you think?  Is this suggestion laughable or doable?

Thank you for reading,

from a very sensitive newbie.  👼

46 REPLIES 46

@JoyLuck wrote:

@RosieR 

I found this thread to be a very good read. I had joined in February and it was good to see the different viewpoints. 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/The-Lounge/motivate-new-members-to-participate-in-com...

hi @JoyLuck thank you so much.  Nice to hear that you found my post a good read.  

Thank you also for that link.  Very interesting.

@esjliv  lol no I'm ok.  Just making a statement.  I want to learn from my mistakes too.  I am just suggesting another way.  

@gpixel wrote:

@RosieR maybe, instead of correcting the error in public. one can send a private message instead.

you can always just edit and delete the content written on the post. I used to do this a lot when "speed posting"

@gpixel this is a very good idea.  thank you so much!  

@Jb456 wrote:

@RosieR Oracle's can edit your post. Not completely delete it.

@Jb456 ok thank you.  That is good to know.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@RosieR 

I found this thread to be a very good read. I had joined in February and it was good to see the different viewpoints. 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/The-Lounge/motivate-new-members-to-participate-in-com...

@WeAreX  nice to hear that the Community helped resolved your issue.  thank you for your input.

@RosieR wrote:

@Jb456 I know the oracles are just members like us.  But can the oracles have the power to delete obviously wrong replies if reported?

Oracles can edit or move messages but are not obligated to. Some categories can ony be seen by Oracles (and Retired Oracles) and staff.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@RosieR 

Deleting messages with incorrect information as a matter of policy wouldn't work.  It would need to be an exception for extreme cases of harmful or even deliberate misinformation. Otherwise, the complaints about free speech being censored will far outweigh complaints about people who feel unfairly singled out.

@computergeek541 giving wrong information could be harmful, even if not deliberate.

There also becomes a problem of if the messages are simply deleted, nothing is learned.  

@computergeek541 so the only solution is shaming?

When it comes to deciding on which content gets deleted, who decides that? Moderators have more important things to do. I could have messages removed and have done it in the past, but it's not my job either. I gain nothing by taking such steps, and there isn't enough time in a day to remove every mesaage with information that isn't spot-on.

@computergeek541 you are already deciding whose answer is wrong, don't you?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hi @RosieR ,

I hope you are not feeling too bad about stuff. 😞
For myself, if I steered someone in the wrong direction, I would want to be told about it...for future knowledge and for my own sake as well. 

Hopefully, people are reading previous posts in the threads, and really have something helpful to add when they post.

@RosieR Oracle's can edit your post. Not completely delete it.

@Jb456 I know the oracles are just members like us.  But can the oracles have the power to delete obviously wrong replies if reported?

@gpixel wrote:

@RosieR maybe, instead of correcting the error in public. one can send a private message instead.

you can always just edit and delete the content written on the post. I used to do this a lot when "speed posting"

Sometimes, private mesaages do get sent to some members. Unfortunately, if it's not responded to in public, others will not know of the error, or worse yet, repeat the content of that message.  Saying to someone "hey, that's not right" doesn't have to result in name calling or anything like that.

WeAreX
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

We do really need some informative threads instead of shaming or not-helping-at-all people fooling around. thank God a few members helped me with my simcard arriving late problem and now i finally can activate my first public sim and input the correct referral code from my friend!

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@RosieR 

Deleting messages with incorrect information as a matter of policy wouldn't work.  It would need to be an exception for extreme cases of harmful or even deliberate misinformation. Otherwise, the complaints about free speech being censored will far outweigh complaints about people who feel unfairly singled out.

There also becomes a problem of if the messages are simply deleted, nothing is learned.  

When it comes to deciding on which content gets deleted, who decides that? Moderators have more important things to do. I could have messages removed and have done it in the past, but it's not my job either. I gain nothing by taking such steps, and there isn't enough time in a day to remove every mesaage with information that isn't spot-on.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

You'd have to see if any Oracle's, who are simply members like all of us, are willing to take more time out of their day to do what you suggested.

Need Help? Let's chat.