cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming with prepaid

wiye
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Does Public offer roaming with any prepaid plan? Or is roaming only available with postpaid? I would be roaming in USA.

13 REPLIES 13

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@wiye 

After a little research I see you have limited options for your dilemma. If only a Canadian number is required for calling and text then a voip provider is your best bet. Both fongo and textnow have been reliably used by members here. Textnow has free calling and texting....but a lot of ads. Fongo has way fewer ads but charges for outgoing texts ($4/month I believe) both offer Canadian phone numbers and enhanced services for a small fee. Their apps work on wifi or mobile data and use about 0.5mb/min.

You can look into fonus with free roaming and 20gb/month for US $30. Reviews are mixed but you can choose a Canadian phone # at activation. Here's the info on fonus by PlanHub ....

https://www.planhub.ca/blog/en/fonus-mobile-in-canada-a-full-review/

As far as Canadian providers go you are very limited unless you have an outrageously expensive postpaid plan w/roaming or pay on average $12 to $14 a day to "roam like home" on a post paid service on top of your plan amount your prepaid choices are public mobile and fizz out of Quebec. Fizz is a better deal at $35/1gb and unlimited calls/texts Canada/US roaming plan but more difficult to attain because you need a Quebec address. Either way both pm and Fizz rely on the 3G network for voice calls (Fizz for texts too!) With the decommissioning of the 3G network in the US this puts you back at square one with the need of using a voip provider for voice calls as a workaround.

Edit:

As of July 1st voice services are possible using T-Mobile's 2G network where available. YMMV.

Can you get someone to send you the sim? Or do they mail to the states from here? Or CCS? I'm not certain about this step: then activate it but don't insert the sim yet. Set your phone to turn off automatic networks. Then wander up to the border and insert the sim and connect to the Public network. Not a US network.

Then you can buy the add-ons and connect to T-Mobile and use the Public services you bought while you're in the states.

Be aware that things are changing rapidly in the states as far as talk goes in relation to here. Text and data will be fine.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@wiye   So you don't have an account with PM currently or your PM account is not active?  If the latter, then as already mentioned, you'll need to first re-activate your plan before being able to purchase any roaming add-ons which are only available for a 10 day duration. 

If you don't have an account with PM, then you need to purchase a PM SIM and activate the account before being able to do anything else.  Here's a link to activate a new account if needed:  https://activate.publicmobile.ca/

@wiye if you JUST need a Canadian phone number,  you can get a VoIP service like Fongo or TextNow   you can  pick a Canadian number when you setup

If you need a Canadian number with PM service so you can buy roaming addon, you need a new PM sim card too activate,  you can activate in US but you need the sim card with you.  You can buy online from Amazon and have them ship to you in US ( do not buy online from PM, it takes them long to deliver)

wiye

No not active plan currently but the business I work with requires Canadian phone number but I am about 30 minutes south of the border and prefer not to cross the border today.

@wiye You have an active plan with PM now?  just buy roaming addon online very close to your departure time as all roaming addons have 10 days expiry  and start counting from the time you bought.  When you are in US, Enable roaming mobile data and manually select ATT or TMobile network 

wiye

If I am in New York do i need to cross the border to activate a new SIM? Or can I activate a new line in USA?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@wiye wrote:

So it would need to be prepaid with top ups?

@wiye - You need to have any Active public mobile plan (only prepaid available) to be able to use any type of addons (regular whilst in Canada or Roaming whilst in USA) they offer.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

They have roaming add-ons. You pay into your account and then buy the add-on. You basically go into purchasing twice. Once to add the money and again to buy the add-on. But you could also make a manual payment and go into purchasing.

Everything here is prepaid. You prepay for your 30 day plan. You prepay for add-ons.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@wiye    You'll prepay for the roaming add-ons available, but are advised to purchase them just before your trip as they activate immediately and will expire 240 hours after purchase.

wiye

So it would need to be prepaid with top ups?

MrSpock
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

wiye Hi here are the US roaming addons offered 

US Roaming6

10 day packages

Important: As of February 22nd, 2022, some United States (U.S) carriers will begin turning down certain 3G/HSPA networks in the U.S. As a result, some customers using U.S. roaming add-ons may be impacted by differences in coverage or service quality (including 9-1-1 calls) when roaming in the U.S. This shutdown will not impact your service in Canada.

U.S. Talk, Text and 250 MB Data bundle: $20
U.S. Talk and Text Bundle: $15
U.S. Talk Only: $8
U.S. Text Only: $8

U.S. Data Only

10 day packages

Important: As of February 22nd, 2022, some United States (U.S) carriers will begin turning down certain 3G/HSPA networks in the U.S. As a result, some customers using U.S. roaming add-ons may be impacted by differences in coverage or service quality (including 9-1-1 calls) when roaming in the U.S. This shutdown will not impact your service in Canada.

250 MB: $10
500 MB: $15
1 GB: $20

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@wiye hi you would need a 10 day roaming add on in the states there is no post paid here

Need Help? Let's chat.