cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming to US

Amandahillier1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My situation - I am travelling to the US for 10 days. My company does not allow me to travel with my phone. I purchased a sim card and added the cheapest $15 plan (3G speed). I had planned on added the $30 text, call, data roaming plan. While reading the fine print before purchasing it says that the 3G networks are shut down in the US. Does this mean this phone will not work? Or by adding the roaming plan will it automatically connect to the correct network. I'm not sure if I'm being clear with my question

11 REPLIES 11

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Since this is a new temporary number, do a quick search for Verizon Free Trial or

Verizon Free Trial - mobile phone service free for 30 days FAQs | Verizon

You have to be physically in the US to activate (yes you may be able to do a VPN spoof)

@Amandahillier1 

Samsung S10 is volte capable. follow softechs test to see if the device stays on LTE or changes over to H(3g) while making a phone call. if it stays on LTE you have volte and should be able to have reliable calls in the US. If however, the device falls back to 3g the first thing to do is make sure the 'volte' toggle on the device is enabled and to try again

@Amandahillier1 wrote:

Just so I'm clear, this capability has to do with my phone not the plan I selected correct? 

@Amandahillier1  Correct

@Amandahillier1 True.  It is phone related and not plan

All plans have the same access to the same US roaming services

Amandahillier1

Just so I'm clear, this capability has to do with my phone not the plan I selected correct? 

@Amandahillier1 

check this for how to toggle on VoLTE

https://videotron.tmtx.ca/en/topic/samsung_galaxys10/using_voice_over_lte_volte.html#step=1

If you are on a voice call and you see thr network icon on top of the staus bar still shows LTE or 4G, yiu are using VOLTE

Please note that the VoLTE is only affecting voice call, your data should work in US roaming on LTE or 4G network without issue.

In case you have problems with roaming voice , a workaround is to use VoIP app like TextNow.  TextNow will give you another 10 digits number.  You make and receive calls on the app with that new 10 digits number.   It will work as long as you have. Obie data or wifi

Amandahillier1

I will be using my old Samsung galaxy S10. When I insert the new sim into the phone LTE+ comes up on the top. Also, when I go under settings and SIM card status the mobile voice & data network type both say LTE. So does this mean I should be fine? Even though I selected the $15 3g speed base package? I should note I am currently still in Canada. Again, thanks for your help 

@Amandahillier1 wrote:

Thank you for your quick response! I only joined yesterday. I apologize as I am not familiar with all these terms. I am unsure what VoLTE is. Does this have something to do with your phone capabilities or the plan you selected when signing up? 

Check if your phone is in the list for VoLTE. Depend on your phone, go to settings, enable VoLTE.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte

https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/how-to-use-volte

@Amandahillier1 VoLTE is Voice over LTE network 

what phone you have?

Some details here

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte

Amandahillier1

Thank you for your quick response! I only joined yesterday. I apologize as I am not familiar with all these terms. I am unsure what VoLTE is. Does this have something to do with your phone capabilities or the plan you selected when signing up? 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Amandahillier1 the 3G issue is only for voice call

With the $30  US roaming, you can use Data and text  using T-Mobile's  4G LTE network and it will work without issue

For voice, it will use T-Mobile's 2G network.  It might be a hit or miss as it is an older network with less coverage

HOWEVER , if you just joined not long ago, after Feb 22,  you should be enabled for VoLTE, which means you don't need to use 2G for voice.  Instead you will be using LTE network for voice calls , so the 3G shutdown would not affect you at all.  Just make sure you enable VoLTE on your phone

Need Help? Let's chat.