cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming in USA with “dumb phone”

wiye
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have seen plenty of posts saying to select network. Is there a way to select network on a “dumb phone”? Is something that is done online on your account? I have not bought the roaming add on yet. Wanted to make sure calling would work in USA on a “dumb phone” before buying the add on.

8 REPLIES 8

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

I wish there were some decent specs I could find for this phone. Let alone a useful manual. Do you have that phone working here with Public?

You'll need to dig down into your settings to see if and how to change which network to connect to. It might be on automatic but it would be nice to see that.

If you're in business and contracting out or something, why don't you have a more substantial phone? It's all deductible against your income to reduce your taxes. This is just a cheapo throw away barely usable phone.

wiye

Need a Canadian NON-VOIP number for the business I deal with. 

MrSpock
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@wiye Why would they want to,the service only works in Canada , it wouldn’t be practical  besides I believe you need a valid Canadian address 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@wiye wrote:

And also do you know if A new customer is in New York, would they be able to activate the new line in USA? Or would they have to cross the border to activate a new line? I’ve had different people tell me both yes and no.

@wiye - well, you could activate a new public mobile account online: https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/portal/activation from anywhere I suppose, as long as you had an unused public mobile SIM card and activated online.

The only issue may be, is, you couldn't really test if all the services were working outside of Canada.

Note-Incoming texts should still work whilst in USA on an active Public Mobile plan; but for any other services you would need to purchase a roaming addon.

wiye

And also do you know if A new customer is in New York, would they be able to activate the new line in USA? Or would they have to cross the border to activate a new line? I’ve had different people tell me both yes and no.

MrSpock

@wiye Hi no you would need to find your settings and manually select AT&T or t mobile

wiye

Blu Z5. Does it choose AT&T/T Mobile automatically?

MrSpock

@wiye Hi how dumb is your phone?what make and model?

Need Help? Let's chat.