cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming in Canada?

AngryNewclient
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If I used my phone, which is registered in Nova Scotia, while I am in Vancouver, is this considered roaming?

10 REPLIES 10

AngryNewclient

Hi CountyDownIeUk 

My sister uses Eastlink in Nova Scotia. However, when she is about 30 km away from home, she gets a roaming signal and this indicates that she may be liable for extra charges. Strange setup, IMO. In Aus, things are quite a bit different and the rates are not comparable. When I am there, I use one of the local carriers.  Public was the best deal when I got back to Canada, according to my friend's son and Whistle Out.

@AngryNewclient 

By any chance, when your sister has a roaming option is she near the USA? If no what carrier is offering her the option to roam?

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mimmo  Point taken.. although the OP ‘S community name left that possibility out of mind..😬

seltaeb1956

no you have canada wide coverage

AngryNewclient

Thank you mimmo. My plan is Canada wide calling and I was not sure that it was for making calls from my home province to locations across Canada or making calls from anywhere within Canada or both. It seems to be both. I mentioned in another post that my sister's Canada wide calling means one and not the other.  Living in another country as well, where mobile plans are so much less expensive, I try to keep up with what is the done thing when I am here.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Metal1967   you are correct but also possibly incorrect depending on the definition of "roaming"  

the answer is it depends on the plan you have.  ie if you have a grandfathered province calling only then when outside your home province and you call home you will get charged longdistance  (which could be considered a type of roaming)  ,  but calls withig the province could be considered local.

AngryNewclient

Hi Metal1967.

Thank you for your kind reply. I did respond earlier but it appeared not to have gotten to you. The AngryNewClient was decided upon after many frustrating attempts to connect when I first joined more than a year ago. Things have improved quite a bit since then. 😊

AngryNewclient

As you can see Metal1967 answered the question. This answer was not required. Nor was the suggestion that Canada wide calling means no roaming. My sister has Canada wide calling with a major carrier and she still experiences roaming indicators when she is just outside her area in NS.

DDM69

It clearly states on the website...plan calling is Canada wide.  This means all of Canada/ from coast to coast.  Please use the website to understand the services included.  

2022-11-08 19_29_53-Window.png

Metal1967

@AngryNewclient   No raoaming charges in Canada.. you’ll be fine.. btw.. don’t be angry..😬

Need Help? Let's chat.