cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Residential telecommunications and TV

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I got a text from PM today saying "Public Mobile here. Unresolved complaint about telecom or residential TV service? CCTS may be able to help. 1-888-221-1687 or www.ccts-cprst.ca. Free msg." 

Why would PM be sending this? They don't even provide homophones or TV 

Do other people recieve these random messages? 

20 REPLIES 20

ThatOtherPeep
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

same thing today. just wondering what there complaning about and why?

CalgaryBen

Blocking/muting notifications for 5129 should work (although I'm not bothered by them enough to do so).

... one reason not to block 5129 would be to receive messages like this one, which I just received from 5129!

Public Mobile here with an exciting update. Our Rewards just got better. Now, you can get up to $20 in Community Rewards. Plus, when you refer a friend, they'll get a $10 account credit and you'll continue to get $1/ 30 days per friend as long as they stay with us! Conditions apply. Learn more at publicmobile.ca/RewardRules. You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe.

It's a bit odd to receive it from 5129... I would have expected it from 100 or 5132 or 5133 or some other (OK, maybe PM does have a pool of short codes they SMS from...).

@jp2 wrote:

Why would the law require them to tell customers about residential telecom and TV as PM doesn't offer either of these services? 

CCTS handles customer complaints for a wide range of telecommuication services including: home telephone, tv services, internet service providers, and wireless phone services.  It's the same organization that handles those complaints for all of those types of services.

This link quickly mentions the types of industries within the CCTS's scope:

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/about-ccts/participating-service-providers/non-compliant-providers/

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@stonechucker wrote:

Full disclosure here, I had no idea of the timing or methods as pointed out by @sheytoon, I simply got lucky with a logical answer off the top of my head!

@stonechucker disclousure noted.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Full disclosure here, I had no idea of the timing or methods as pointed out by @sheytoon, I simply got lucky with a logical answer off the top of my head!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@sheytoon thanks for linking that!

@stonechucker wrote:

AS WE DO NOT GET BILLS OR INVOICES, SMS IS A SIMPLE WAY TO MEET THIS OBLIGATION.

@stonechucker good call!  I was thinking about this yesterday when I saw this thread and wondering why I hadn't [yet?] gotten this text from Koodo since migrating my main line back in March.  But after seeing this I went and looked at my most recent statement, and sure enough in the "small print" section at the end of the bill with various disclaimers and term definitions, there is this message:

KoodoStatementCCTS.png

So you are 100% correct.  Mobile carriers that issue statements can include it there, whereas PM has to send the text to meet the requirements that @sheytoon linked above.  Case closed, and just ignore them (or block them like @computergeek541 if you really need to but how hard is it to glance at this message every few months and ignore it?)

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

CalgaryBen

@RobertQc wrote:

They keep sending with different numbers so you can't even block it, it's always a new number

What other numbers are you getting these from?  I have only gotten them from 5129 so far.  Blocking/muting notifications for 5129 should work (although I'm not bothered by them enough to do so).

Here's what I've received from 5129 over the last year:

June 30, 2017 2:00pm
Public Mobile here. For unresolved complaints about your wireless service, you can contact the CCTS at www.ccts-cprst.ca or 1-888-221-1687

Sept 15, 2017 2:00pm
Free Public Mobile msg: For unresolved complaints about your telecom services, you can contact the Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services at www.ccts-cprst.ca or 1-888-221-1687

Oct 2, 2017 2:00pm
Did you know that Public Mobile has enhanced 911 services? Learn more about this safety service at https://www.publicmobile.ca/pdfs/E911_EN.pdf. Free Public Mobile msg

(Slight hiatus as a foolishly tried out Freedom from Dec-Feb, so nothing from 5129.)

Apr 13, 2018 12:01pm
Public Mobile here. Unresolved complaint about telecom or residential TV service? CCTS may be able to help. 1-888-221-1687 or www.ccts-cprst.ca. Free msg.

June 8, 2018 12:03pm
Public Mobile here. Unresolved complaint about telecom or residential TV service? CCTS may be able to help. 1-888-221-1687 or www.ccts-cprst.ca. Free msg.

It's a requirement. They must do this at least 4 times per year.

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/about-ccts/public-awareness/

@CCTS wrote:

PSPs will deliver a similar message to their customers that do not receive bills, such as pre-paid wireless customers. In the case of pre-paid wireless customers, the service provider will also deliver a message to active customers at least four times per year, to inform those customers about CCTS. The message may take the form of a text message to the customer; it may be provided by way of the portal used by customers to purchase pre-paid time; or it may be provided in such other manner as will come to the attention of these customers. In the event that a service provider chooses to use the text message option, any such SMS message sent to customers will clearly indicate that it is a text message from the provider, and that it is free of charge to the customer.The suggested wording of this message is:

“Free message from [name of provider]. Unresolved complaint about telecom or residential TV service? CCTS may be able to help. 1-888-221-1687 or www.ccts-cprst.ca.”

jp2

Why would the law require them to tell customers about residential telecom and TV as PM doesn't offer either of these services? 

At least I know that I'm not the only one who also hates these messages.  They are repeitive, annoying, and don't help the consumer one bit.  I can understand Public Mobile perhaps telling the customer once at the time of activation, but I find zero reason to be reminded about CCTS on a regular basis.  I flat-out block all messages from Public Mobile as I don't find a point to any of the automated text messages.  I wish there were a way to opt-out.

These messages are regular, and they do not cost you to receive them.  I am not sure if the frequency is 30 60 or 90 days, but all carriers are required to notify you about the CCTS.

AS WE DO NOT GET BILLS OR INVOICES, SMS IS A SIMPLE WAY TO MEET THIS OBLIGATION.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I am not totally sure about this, but it could be a legal requirement to tell the customer that the CCTS is the source for unresolved complaints against the carrier.  I suggest growing a bit of thick skin and not getting anxious about nothing.

parents
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I got that message as well. I don't know what to complaint about PM

mtfolks
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

CCTS deals with complaints about telecom companies. I’m not sure but they may be required by law/regulations to provide that info to subscribers on a set basis (eg every six months).  

I would just ignore it. 

jp2

You could be right if you respond unsubscribe it might remove you from all numbers including 611?

For me it seems like anything about account or data usage comes from 611 so it would be nice if you could remain subscribed to 611 but unsubscribe from the others.

@jp2 The trouble is what if it unsubscribes me from data alerts or account payment alerts or renewal alerts. Since its from "Public Mobile" and they don't give you a toggle / choice in my account for what kind of alerts they send you.

jp2

@RobertQc have you tried texting back unsubscribe? It might remove you from a list that will stop all numbers from messaging you?

jp2

I'm OK with receiving texts about PM but I could see how receiving multiple random messages you don't want could be annoying. 

This is the only one I've received not about PM so far 

They keep sending with different numbers so you can't even block it, it's always a new number, its intrusive and it feels like harassment, i'd like to put a complaint for being harrased

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@jp2

I hate these darn messages!!!

I got one yesterday at 2:06pm from 5129 same message

Need Help? Let's chat.