cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request: offer LTE data add-on for Public Mobile

MarcGSR
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I believe this was offered in the past, may I suggest offering it again as an add on. The /only/ reason I may have stayed with the Big 3 providers is the loss of LTE high speed mobile data when switching to PM. Not a deal breaker by any means, as most are on WiFi for the majority of the time. However, I'm sure many users, myself included - would be happy to pay a small fee for an allotment of LTE mobile data.

7 REPLIES 7

canadianerk

yeah, just not likely to happen. the difference in cost between LTE and 3G Speeds on a LTE network are miniscule. it's about preventing customers from going to Freedom, or another company's flanker brands -- and one day they might move up to PM's siblings at Telus or Koodo. 

While I'm sure most people on staff have good intentions -- this is the basic strategy of the big 3. So while I'd love that -- it would be great for consumers and great for bringing cell phone plan prices down -- the Big 3 have no incentive to do that. 

MarcGSR

Of course, that is how PM and Telus are marketing their services (and the rest of the Big 3 with their bargain brand provides). I understand this is one of the ways PM keeps their low rates.

Would just be nice for those that want the option of some LTE service but that would also negate any reason to switch back to Telus. 

yeah, that's how the big 3 are managing their businesses.

it goes:

• LTE(3mb) unlimited (chatr-64kbps, lucky-128kbps)
  • LTE
  • 5g/LTE unlimited

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@MarcGSR wrote:

I believe this was offered in the past, may I suggest offering it again as an add on. The /only/ reason I may have stayed with the Big 3 providers is the loss of LTE high speed mobile data when switching to PM. Not a deal breaker by any means, as most are on WiFi for the majority of the time. However, I'm sure many users, myself included - would be happy to pay a small fee for an allotment of LTE mobile data.

If they offer LTE again, they might force plan change if you want it.  That way, they can give less data. Public wants you to switch to Koodo. Making the plans too good means few will switch.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

if pm were to implement full speed LTE, I highly doubt it will be a small fee...

they would need to create LTE plans and they would likely reflect the Koodo prepaid plans. the plus is that we can use rewards to lower our bill.

I would rather campaign for a higher throttle limit. anywhere from 6-8mb. this should suffice for PM's customer base. it just doesn't make sense to have full LTE speed...

I was on virgin hitting around 220mb. think about when you load up a YouTube video and decide the video isn't for you. surprise, you've already downloaded the whole 30 min video in seconds. browsing web pages is the same as 220mb. now imagine 5g

don't believe the hype...

Estimated data consumption per hour (YouTube):

360p 315MB
480p 562MB
720p(30fps) 1.27GB+
1080p(30fps) 2.03GB+
4k(30fps) 10.58GB+

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@MarcGSR wrote:

@MarcGSR I don't think this is a priority for PM. Most of the people that I interact with here are fine with 3G speed on the LTE network or they manually select the 3G network for faster speeds. Unless you (everyone) stream HD video or play games I don't think it is noticeable. I'm not a big data user so I'm good with what we have. I suspect that for now PM would prefer to encourage users to switch to a more premium level of Telus service.

kaytus
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I would like to have 4G LTE, two.

May be this is my 2021 wishes..

Need Help? Let's chat.