cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund and account cancelation

allanvcp2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I change carrier and the monthly payment was charged from my account , I don’t need to use public mobile service anymore and I request a refund as it was done today , it’s my right to have my money back and plan cancel. I have urgency with this regard,please.

33 REPLIES 33

marivelloso
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Good luck trying to receive a refund for a service you don't need and you don't want to pay for with Public Mobile.

Good of you to clarify that.

Not everyone is looking for someone to fight their battles for them.

I hope someone is there to help fight your battles.

All the best!  🙂

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@HALIMACS 

Is it? I don't think you have any idea how hard I will work to advocate on the side of the customer. While I will keep an open mind if the OP comes back with more compelling information when it comes to chargebacks consumers are already abusing it to the point of outright fraud that is costing honest small businesses and private individuals their livelihoods.  Telus/Public Mobile can well afford it but it doesn't make it right to make what is essentially a fraudulent claim.

I feel like they are stealing $3 from me every 30 days but it doesn't make it right for me to try and fraudulently take it back? After failing at the first round of the good fight I just reactivated and referred my way back to free that took a lot less time and effort than it took to eventually refuse their pittance on principle.

“Lol”?

It’s clear what you advocate for.

Appreciate the reminder!  🙂

@darlicious- "Fraud" is payback for the initial fraud of charging. Just desserts and all that. And my, look at you and your black and white, brutal, no customer service compassion 🙂 . Sounding like me 🙂

But of course we need to collect all the facts from the customer. We still don't have an update from this one.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@HALIMACS 

Lol....you know I nearly always advocate on the side of the customer but I don't advocate committing fraud. If the customer feels justified that they deserve a refund they can file a complaint with the CCTS which is a glorified collection agency for customers.

If the customer requested porting it's up to the new provider to complete porting within the time frame supplied by their new customer. If they did not submit the port request in time then it's on them not public mobile to compensate for the renewal cost. There's been a few customers complain about paying for renewal when Rogers/fido CSR's once they activated the account and made their commission went home for the day and submitted the port request the following day rather than stay past quitting time to complete the port request for the customer.

It is not difficult to cancel your account with public mobile either....you can:

1. Disable autopay.
  2. Replace your autopay card with one that will fail.
  3. Put a hold on the card registered for autopay.
  4. Suspend your account via lost/stolen.
  5. Contact customer to remove your autopay card.
  6. Contact customer support with date you wish to cancel your service.
  7. Write to public mobile's York St address with the date you wish to cancel your services.
  8. Port out your phone number within your 30 day cycle.

@dust2dust 

Potato, potatoe.

Perhaps some may consider it even for the "Koodo reapprov" fiasco where many customers did a seemingly legit chargeback and Public Mobile punished them for doing so.

Karma is a 6itch.

@HALIMACS- lol You say wake-up call, I say punishment.

@darlicious- Yes, I added to my previous post once they said they can still access the account..

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

Well the OP said they changed carriers today not yesterday. A port has to be requested at a minimum before 9pm eastern on day 30 and more likely by 6pm eastern to have a chance at recieving the PAT before a self serve account is in renewal "suspended" status. If a port was requested otherwise they had plenty of time to suspend their services before renewal. A port can only complete after renewal if they paid for renewal otherwise they left it too late to port.

I agree, @dust2dust 

There's no doubt the OP in this case might have avoided an additional charge.

But that's not what this broader discussion is about - this is about a big company charging 1 customer an additional cycle for a process that it could choose to make way easier for folks who don't routinely follow their mobile service providers policies and procedures and intricacies.

And we all know, Public Mobile has a lot of intricacies that only a select few understand, and 95+% do not.

In this case, I don't see a chargeback serving as a punishment as much as a wake-up call to make some of these processes more customer-friendly for those customers who choose not to spend hours on these forums.

For all of us, it may seem common sense.

For the vast majority it is not.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

I think a company should be severely punished for erroneously charging people. Severely. I see a chargeback as a form of punishment.

But yes some things could all be a misunderstanding by the customer. We rarely get customers reporting back all embarrassed that they misunderstood. Ohhh that's how it works sorry everybody. Rarely.

As always it would be nice if the OP would update their adventures.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@allanvcp2 

I wrote it before, I'll write it again.

Do a chargeback IF Public Mobile will not refund you the payment for the additional cycle.

CSA's can be understanding about these things, especially given the high levels of confusion and frustration around here with respect to porting services in and out. 

There will be some who may claim differently as to the legitimacy of doing so.  I would submit that at least one of these posters may not practice what they extensively preach.

HI @darlicious totally agree that this "trick" should not be suggested lightly

Afterall, if OP ported out , PM still charging, PM will usually refund without any push back, so, why suggest that "trick"?

@dust2dust   , @Meow keeps remind me no assume it was a  port  🙂

@darlicious- I put in lots of ifs in my reply. I wonder then how often the charges after the fact that we read about here are actually a timing problem in that the port completed after a renewal. We don't seem to get followup replies from people that claim error but are corrected in their understanding. Maybe they're embarrassed.

I also assumed that with what might be ESL that "change carrier" meant porting.

liuxinbing
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

There are so many people asking whether OP ported. The OP never mention anything about port, at all. Please stop asking. 

PM didn't do anything wrong here, and service provided. Please stop suggesting OP to chargeback, that would be fraud.

OP has had chances to stop service, but he didn't; PM does provide service. End of story. Nothing whoever can do.

@darlicious wrote:

A chargeback on their part would be fraudulent.

Good advice! Will keep in mind Not to suggest chargeback if customers want refund for already paid service but changed their mind.

@allanvcp2 

If you still have access to your account, that means that your porting is not completed.

Please note that you need your PM account to be Active to successfully port your number over to another carrier.

I would suggest you disable AutoPay and remove your CC information then wait 2 days before your next cycle in February start then port over to another carrier. PM is a prepaid service not a postpaid service, therefore no refund unfortunately.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Why is the community advocating to abuse the chargeback system for credit cards? Chargebacks are for services or goods not recieved or erroneously charged. The OP changed carriers....whether or not they requested porting unless public mobile did not send out a PAT (porting authorization text) when requested it was up to the OP to request cancellation of services, disable autopay or port out before their renewal. Unless they can prove fault on public mobile's part they left cancellation of their services too late. They had until 2am eastern (if not longer) to disable autopay or self suspend via lost/stolen to avoid paying for renewal....that's a full two hours after renewal occurred. Prepaid services are non refundable. A chargeback on their part would be fraudulent.

@softech wrote:

no assumption.  read another line below:

you said you changed carrier, did you request porting? 

OP never replied and confirmed porting so in my book it is all guessing 😊

But lets see if he replies at all. He got few good advices so he can proceed or ask more questions.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@allanvcp2 @So in the end inquiring minds are left to wonder if you did in fact try to port pm  number or were you happy with your new number from new carrier ?

@Meow wrote:

@softech wrote:

@allanvcp2 wrote:

I made a ticket but didn’t get a reply yet , I still have acess to My account 

@allanvcp2   you still have access, that mean you the porting was NOT completed

Why do you assume OP did porting at all? OP has to clarify did he initiate number transfer or not.

@Meow 

no assumption.  read another line below:

you said you changed carrier, did you request porting? 

@softech wrote:

@allanvcp2 wrote:

Why do you assume OP did porting at all? OP has to clarify did he initiate number transfer or not.

If money is not refunded (and I believe it will not be), OP can ask bank for chargeback since he does not care for PM services anymore. It might take a while and OP might not get money back from OP as PM will claim being pre-paid service client can still use services paid for. Bank might provide credit, though.

@allanvcp2 wrote:

you said you changed carrier, did you request porting? did you receive an text from PM and you reply YES to it?

if you put your PM sim card in a phone, it should still be fully functioning, and the PM sim card should be receiving calls

So, look like your porting was not completed. and hence the charge was legit.

Please call your new provider and confirm what was wrong with the porting

@allanvcp2 As others already mentioned sign in pm and disable auto pay , and keep an eye out on your envelope on top of page to the right … there’s typically no refunds with pm but if your are owed one opening the ticket such as you have is the only way 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

How long before your renewal did you change carrier? Did you have any problems and delays doing the change?

If you changed carrier well before your renewal and had no problems then if you, or other accounts using your credit card, have no other business with Telus or Koodo or Public then just get the bank to do a chargeback on that charge. It's a somewhat rare occurrence around here but we've seen it enough to know that it happens. The company needs to feel some pain for erroneously charging you after you ported out.

I ask about the timing because if you ported out right around your renewal time then the renewal may have happened in the meantime. Or if the port had a problem and the plan renewed and then you fixed the problem after then that would also renew the plan. In this case, you wouldn't really be entitled to a refund. But you can always ask.

Adding - oh! If you're still able to access the My Account then the change carrier didn't work. You won't get a refund. You need to re-do the port. Put the Public sim in a phone and re-request the port from the new provider and then reply to the port confirmation text. Then the account will close. You're not getting a refund.

allanvcp2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@softech wrote:

@allanvcp2   you ported out your number and account was closed ?  

If it is , please open ticket with PM support via private message and they will arrange refund

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

I doubt PM will refund him as being pre-paid service.

OP should remove autopay and account will eventually be deleted.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

If you did not port your number to other provider, your PM account will be active until you remove autopay.

Removing autopay will suspend your PM account on next renewal and delete after 90 days of no pay.

If you port your number to other provider your PM account is immediately deleted - you will not be able to log in and all money on account and rewards will be gone.

PM does not provide refunds.

Need Help? Let's chat.