cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Referral reward taken by kiosk worker

TroyM
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I signed up for public mobile in June. My wife has a account, so I asked the kiosk cellphone agent to ensure my wife was getting the referral, but I wasn’t sure what her code was. The lady asked another person to help and we got a code.

When I just looked at my wife’s bill I see that she hasn’t been receiving this reward.

I think the referral code used was one of the workers, or one of their friends.

I know someone is getting my referral, I just have no idea who they are.

26 REPLIES 26

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if it was at least a contributing factor

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@TroyM 

Once a referral code is added to an account it cannot be removed. The only option CSA's have in this situation is to add your wife's referral code to your account but they are very reluctant to do so because then Public Mobile is paying out $2 in rewards rather than just $1.

Otherwise an entirely new account has to be created to add the proper referral code. That would have been an option if we still had the old rewards program but the points program is all that there is and there's no negotiation in that aspect.

You can always ask if they'll just add your wife's referral code but I think the chances are low of that happening but perhaps they can tell you if the referral code is from an active account and if at any point in time in the future that account gets deactivated they may be willing to add your wife's referral code at that time. So you may want to check in a couple times a year to see if that's the case.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@JL9 Maybe that was one of the reasons they cut out the middle man,I know walmart was famous for that 

Yes this happens way too often, pretty shady and want to hit targets or commissions or get kickbacks so they conveniently leave out the referral process or say oh sorry it is already activated, nothing we can do or use referral codes to benefit them, just so they don't lose out on commission and bonuses etc, the one good thing about PM shutting down many kiosks and putting it all online for the most part is avoiding these lazy scumbags

@RossN wrote:

@computergeek541 hi I just hope they have a steadfast rule about changing referral codes after the fact , just think what a can of worms that would open for all off us ,somebodies friend tells them a couple of days later "you should have used mine" for example  

In general, I would say that it shouldn't (or can't) be done.  Examples have been seen in Community of people wanting to change the code simply to get back at someone over a dispute or ended relationship. Those are not valid reasons to change the referral code to someone else's.  

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@TroyM   Did your wife receive the text from PM (code 5129) with RAF offer of  $25 for both parties for activating before Sept. 30th?   You could activate a new line with this offer and then port out your current number to Lucky on their $15 plan and port your number over to the new PM account to take advantage of PM's RAF offer.

edit:  nvd if you're on the old rewards, then definitely DO NOT port out, in the long run you will be better off.

@computergeek541 hi I just hope they have a steadfast rule about changing referral codes after the fact , just think what a can of worms that would open for all off us ,somebodies friend tells them a couple of days later "you should have used mine" for example  

@TroyM onw second,  if you activared in Nov, you are on the old rewards system  do not port out and port in!!!  you will be on the new system if you port in with a new account  You loss more on new reward system 

(my suggestion earlier was assuming you are on new rewards as you said you activated for couple months only)

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

We would all very strongly recommend against losing the rewards system by porting out. See what the agents might do for you.

TroyM

Hi, I am wrong I started in Nov 21 - I was only looking at the 3 month billing cycle - sorry about that. Time has been a bit blurry for me. I do see the 10$ reward at that time too. I’ll take some of the others advice and - do a month at another carrier and re-port the next month. Very much appreciated everyone. 

@RossN wrote:

@TroyM maybe if you had remembered your wifes referral in the first place you wouldn't have this issue,do you really blame them for using their own? your lucky if you received your 10 dollars 

I wasn't there to see what transpired, and while I can't be sure if the customer was aware or was informed that someone else's code was being used, I believe that if the employee did use an code unknown to TroyM.  However, if that wasn't done, the new customer simply would not have received the $10 credit. 

Do you see $2 in your balance or as a transaction line in your payment history? Did you also see $10 for the referral?

Is there still an initial $2 reward for autopay? I kinda doubt it. Was this this past June or a prior year?

TroyM

I don’t think I got a new activation, I have a 2$ autopay credit. 

Oh sorry. I mis-read. You signed up your account in June. No don't touch the wifes account. I think it would be reasonable for support to switch the referral code. But I'm not sure if they do. If it was nefariously applied it only seems fair that it should be the right one. Of course the clerk would have thought they were doing you a favour so that you could get the $10 since you didn't have the code with you. So you're not actually missing anything other than indirectly via the wife. But they also get a benefit out of the deal.

But now it's all done yourself online. No clerks to insert their code on activation.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@TroyM maybe if you had remembered your wifes referral in the first place you wouldn't have this issue,do you really blame them for using their own? your lucky if you received your 10 dollars 

TroyM

Thanks for the tips. She signed up in 2019. 

TroyM

That’s unfortunate, but I will prolly go that route - just sucks to lose the time, and use the extra energy to go out and put this in order - really just rectifying the shady work of another. 

That's a reasonable idea. You can wait until just before the current month ends and port out. Use that for a month and then port back and then you can be sure to use the preferred referral code then. As long as that new customer signed up here after late January. If before, then they would lose the rewards system.

When exactly did they sign up? It's also possible that the both of you could enjoy the $25 each promo.

@TroyMyou likely cannot.. 

a way to do is to port out to another provider for a month , the port it back in

some provider gives out free sim card, so it is free for that part.

but you need another sim card to port it back in, that sim card is not free  But your referral give $10, that covers it.

TroyM

I’m hoping its easy to look into and see who has been stacking their account with rewards.

I also asked the CS agent, if I can close this account and start up another right away - ensuring I don’t lose any $ in the process, or my phone#. 

TroyM

Unfortunately I wouldn’t remember the persons face to see them, and I don’t want to waste the time. I’m hoping the CS agent may be able to investigate a bit from the backend. I don't know if they see the kiosk person that helped me, and if they got the referral. I imagine they can see who received the referral -  that person would more than likely have  a few of these on their account.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

There are some pretty bad apples working those kiosks.  I would confirm what exactly happened and confront those who might have stolen the referral.  Such practices should be reported to Public Mobile.  They do have skin in the game indirectly as this kind of stuff reflects badly on the brand.

@TroyM 

unfortunately they will not be able to help you. customer support cannot replace a referral code if one has already been used activating your account. also being 3 months out isn't going to help either

TroyM

Thanks softech, I’ve submitted a private message, and will await an answer.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@TroyM   So, did you, the new activation, got the $10 ?

I am not sure if PM support will help.  They usually won't change Referral code after it was applied.  But just open ticket with them and explain the situation.  If the first agent's response is not helpful, push for senior staff for another review

1. If you have access to My account: At https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start by typing "Submit a ticket", then click "Contact Us", Then click "Other", then click "Click here to submit a ticket ↗" 

2. If you don't have access to My Account or have trouble with Chatbot: Private message CS Agent at: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply you there

Need Help? Let's chat.