cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Referral No more $10 signup bonus

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Disregard post - @hTideGnow pointed out people still get the $10 bonus as per Jades post. I was going off the website publicmobile.ca where it says "Welcome Present. Welcome To Public Mobile. As a little present, we'll give you 5 points. Look at you, already earning". I assumed that was replacing the $10 referral  credit but @hTideGnow  pointed out it is not.

Still read if you want. As regardless of the $10 referral credit it still is kind of wasted breath trying to convince people to switch over when there is no longer autopay reward and loyalty has been tweaked to $10 per year regardless how many years you stay.

Anyone else notice that the new points system no longer gives new signup a $10 bonus for using a referral code? LoL.

PM now gives them 5 points ($5) for joining instead. 

PM still gives 1 point ($1) for referring a friend. 

Is it just me that thinks this new point system is not going to be good for new sign-ups? Like people pushing friends / family to join.

There is not really a reason anymore to try and convince friends /family to move over to PM IMO. With Old reward system at least you had a lot of things to tell people to entice someone to make the switch. It was easy to list how much they would end up saving in the long run. Now with this new points system there ain't that much savings to be had.

Old rewards:

"Oh you're on a $25 plan with (wtv other provider)..why don't you consider PM? Right away when you join your $25 plan is $23 on PM. There eyes start to glow cause they hear savings already. But wait! That's not all. Every year you're with them you get a $1 loyalty per month. To a max $5. Now there eyes get bigger and they start asking more questions about PM cause there head is calculating savings. Then its, hey there's more. Pm is offering 2nd month free right now. (Now they are really really interested) . Also ("No there can't be more? They ask). "There sure is my friend" If you do want to switch over I will give you my referral code and you'll get $10 signup credit. So your first payment will cost you the full $25, then second payment payment will be free, your third payment will be $9 cause you have $10 signup credit and $6 ($2 auto-pays) then your 4th month and every following month will be $23. So if you consider what you currently pay and what you would pay with PM. For first 4 months you're paying $57 instead off $100 with your current provider. You'll save $43 in the next 4 months. "No way!! Really?.... Yes really and thats not all..... you're sh#ting me there is more?? ... Yup. Every friend you refer you'll get a dollar off per month on your bill and PM at times gives out free holiday gifts.....sign me up now!! They say after you slip in the convo that support is online and 3g speeds.

New points system:

Ya well umm ya umm PM has a little bit of savings umm not really sure you'd be interested.. umm who your with now you get 4g and can call support but umm if you came to PM ummm they'd umm give you 5 points($5) umm and also ummm support is online only and umm you'd be lowered to 3g speeds. They'll give you 10 points  a year ($10) for staying with them.. oh also umm if you refer someone you get 1 point a month..umm ya. Thats pretty much the gist of things as they have already lost interest at beginning of convo lol...... probably more likely to turn around and say hey do you want my referral code for the provider I am with? 🤣🤣

I don't know, only my opinion, but I can't see myself wasting my breath trying to convince someone to switch over to PM any longer with this new points system.

I guess people will no longer get spammed with referral codes 😂 

24 REPLIES 24

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@BeachNBeer 

It's all about marketing and the bottom line. Why does any customer pick a third tier provider?Why would a customer choose chatr over pm when pm has rewards and chatr doesn't? Most customers dismiss the extra savings rewards can bring....they just look at the price they are paying at the end of the month. Not the price they will be paying 5 years from now so as far as they are concerned pm, chatr and lucky are all the same.

Customers want to pay less but without any real work involved as evidenced by the amount of customers who suffer an autopay failure due to an expired card that come to the community for help for the first time in 5 years after signing up. Set it and forget it. They don't review the charges in their accounts, their data usage or the rewards that they recieve unless there is a huge difference in their autopay charge or their data stops working mid cycle.

Even then when customers can be paying $40 three times a month for nearly two years without even noticing or a legacy plan with a price per gigabyte of $25+ it shows how a little they care about how much they can save its more about the price not going up rather than lowering their bill every month. So with the autopay and loyalty rewards automatically reducing customers plan cost by as much as 70% ($10 plan) it will barely make a dent in pm's churn rate to change the rewards program in their favour.

With the vast majority of customers not motivated by the those rewards saving them money sometime in the future eliminating them in favour of a points program that requires work on behalf of the customer not only saves pm the high cost of the cash flow reversal but the lack of redemption by customers as well. That being on top of offering redemptions on discounted products that costs pm pennies on the dollar to actually supply (data and minute add ons) with only the bill credit(real $$ cash value), the $5/500 min add on(most purchased add on) and the $5/200mb (least purchased add on) not being discounted in the points reward redemption catalogue.

Public Points is just a new spin on marketing pm with what attracts customers in any other business with a loyalty program or a financial institution offering a myriad of credit cards with points earning potential with low value redemption rates. Whether it's air miles, avion points, or free movies most customers just keep saving points for years hoping to redeem one day for "dream" vacation or simply cash out at the lowest value redemption product.

There is value in the Public Points program for motivated members willing to contribute on a regular basis to the community or acquire friend referrals like most of us regulars on the community already do and combined with the $15 plan the discounted redemption products can give them good savings that would cost you and I up to 50% more earn in $$ value. 

It's no different then the many members here that have a pc optimum card but say they hardly ever get enough points to redeem even $10 a year even though they spend more money each week, month or year at the same retailers/grocers that I do.....but at a minimum I save at least 50% (up to 100%+) on my groceries with points earning to the tune of about $2700 last year alone. If you are willing to put the work in then you can pull the value out otherwise it's just a shiny marketing gimmick to draw customers in.....now pm just has to wait it out if they have to pay it out at all.

@BeachNBeer    Yeah agree that the benefits of the current (old?) loyalty rewards for long term customers definitely outweigh any conversion to the new Public Points.  I know I won't be converting any of the accounts.  However, I might re-consider that decision sometime in the distant future for one account that gets suspended every year. 😊

BeachNBeer

Anyone thinking this change to points is a way for PM to start phasing out? Considering 3g network is going bye bye in Canada end of 2025. Seems appropriate to get rid of PM all together. What better way in doing that then making the rewards different that will attract less signups 🤔

The one thing PM had going for them. Which I will assume why most of you joined was the attraction of lowering your bill easily. Now new sign-ups will be paying full price for plans that you can pretty much get with anywhere else that don't have a silly online support only model. 

Just something to think about...

BeachNBeer

@dabr  I don't see how it would persuade anyone to switch to points by giving a point per month you been with them. That's like pennies or as some would put it a slap in the face to long time customers lol. 

Random ramble of numbers.

Telus acquired PM October 2013

August 2014 PM was on Telus network.

Instead of getting specific numbers let's just say 8 years which would be in August 2022. 

So if someone was with PM since PM started on Telus. 8 years would be 96 months.. so pm will give you 96 points. Then after that 10 points every year.

Where, if one was to start on old reward plan at $5 loyalty a month. In 12 months getting $60.

I don't know why anyone would switch to points and give up $60 a year (with $5 loyalty) for a little 10 points a year (($10)).  

dabr
Mayor / Maire

Not sure if this has already been mentioned in this thread or one of the many others on the new points rewards, but I just noticed that PM is offering an additional carrot, in addition to 5 points for switching, of one loyalty point for each month that a customer has with them.  So depending upon how long someone has been a customer, it might persuade some to switch, especially if they frequently purchase add-ons or roam in the US.

I'm also wondering for anyone who keeps an extra number that gets suspended for long periods, if the new points might actually just be an improvement as I think the 10 points per anniversary are earned for all customers regardless of suspension plus the 5 points for the switchover and then loyalty points for the conversion.

Just more food for thought...

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Tahiti    Good job on working out that Public Points offer a discount on add-ons vs grandfathered Rewards.  Still not enough I'd think to persuade most (rightly IMO) to switch to the new points system.

@darlicious wrote:

@BeachNBeer 

US Roaming

1. Talk+Text+250mb $20 or 15 pts
  2. Talk+Text $15 or 10 pts
  3. Talk or Text $8 or 5pts
  4. 1gb $20 or 15 pts
  5. 500mb $15 or 10 pts
  6. 250mb $10 or 5pts

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

HI @darlicious  So to buy add-on  it is actually cheaper in the new system to use points than using reward dollar in the old system?

@Tahiti wrote:

@hTideGnow I'm aiming at the ceiling now, highest point in my place 🤣

p.s. I believe 20 points is the maxium, not $15.  I barely got 2 times of $1 over the last few years with PM 😋.  Back to my aiming at ceiling now . . .  . nice day!

HI @Tahiti You can never get $20 now.  because you have to apply and become an Oracle first for 20points/$20  🤣

and the extra $5 is a tough job, I think

BeachNBeer

@darlicious  so someone on $25 plan. Gets 1.25 points per renewal for their plan?  So they have to wait 8 renewals to get a 10 point USA talk/text add-on. No wonder there's a bit of a discount waiting 8 month's for points lol

Anonymous
Not applicable

testing. I've been trying to reply in another thread. Edit: ok that works. Why isn't it working in another thread. Further grrr-ing.

@BeachNBeer 

US Roaming

1. Talk+Text+250mb $20 or 15 pts
  2. Talk+Text $15 or 10 pts
  3. Talk or Text $8 or 5pts
  4. 1gb $20 or 15 pts
  5. 500mb $15 or 10 pts
  6. 250mb $10 or 5pts

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

BeachNBeer

@darlicious  If you don't have enough points to redeem for a US add-on. What is the cash price?

Tahiti
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@hTideGnow I'm aiming at the ceiling now, highest point in my place 🤣

p.s. I believe 20 points is the maxium, not $15.  I barely got 2 times of $1 over the last few years with PM 😋.  Back to my aiming at ceiling now . . .  . nice day!

@BeachNBeer wrote:

If that's the case talk about slave labor 😂. Guess in future there may not be many posters helping out. Unless that's PMs plan from the get go. To slowly get rid of posters.

HI @BeachNBeer   then the new comers have to aim high.  Get the Top 1% for $15 and they can cash out every month!!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@BeachNBeer 

You just have to change your sales pitch. All of the US roaming add ons are discounted and the $15/1gb data add on=10 points so anyone who travels to the US can get much cheaper roaming options and the $15 plan+10pt/1gb add on+250mb=$25/1.25gb plan w/mostly roll over data can be considered a $17.50/500mb, $20/750mb, $22.50/1gb plan.

Tag to catalogue discounts: Current Reward Redemption Catalogue

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/tag/Points%20Redemption%20Rewards%20Catalogue/tg-p/bo...

BeachNBeer

@hTideGnow  Also with you mentioning the point's conversion. 

Does that mean someone that wants to start assisting people in the forums. Would potentially have to wait like 8plus months to actually cash in on their reward? Im just going by like if someone were to post enough to earn a dollar per month. 8 month's for $8 plus their 5% points back.  Eventually they'll get 15 points around 8 month's mark to cash out.

If that's the case talk about slave labor 😂. Guess in future there may not be many posters helping out. Unless that's PMs plan from the get go. To slowly get rid of posters.

Tahiti

@BeachNBeerI agree with your comment!!!  I too used the old $2 autopay bonus as a DISCOUNT to plan fee to convince new client(s). 

It is what it is, we the "old clients" can choose to stay with old reward system, but not an option for new clients.  Let's look at the bright side, instead of $2, new client still get 5% + upto 10 points per year.  I wonder if Public will really gives 0.75 points to $15 plan, or round up to 1 point? (1.25 points for $25 plan)

BeachNBeer

@hTideGnow  Hmm did not know that either ( certain amount to cash out points) shows how much I read on this point system 😂.

I know @Tahiti  pointed out savings an buying add-ons. But are they really considered savings when now people are paying pretty much full price for plans? I would see them at savings if they were also savings on the actual plan. Since they're really not then those add-ons which look like a discount seem to be more of a adjusted price considering not much savings on actual plan. That's how I see that anyways...

Still going to be awfully hard to convince people to switch when other providers have same price with 4g and actual support.

@BeachNBeer wrote:

Hmm guess I missed  that part of her post, although didn't really read it all to be honest. Why do all the other's say points? Then that one say $10 credit?..

HI @BeachNBeer Now you make me wonder if they give 10 points on Reward or $10 in Available Fund for friend.  It seems the same 10 points=$10.  But the main difference for new Point system is that you have to reach 15 points to convert to $15.  You cannot use 10 points itself until you cumulate enough (15 points) to cash out

BeachNBeer

@hTideGnow  I put a line through the post. Since you pointed out the they still get the $10 referral credit. Thanks for pointing that out 👍

BeachNBeer

@hTideGnow  Hmm guess I missed  that part of her post, although didn't really read it all to be honest. Why do all the other's say points? Then that one say $10 credit?.. Shouldn't it say 10 points ?? Since each point is a dollar.

I was just reading off the main page and seen Welcome Gift 5 points figured that was to replace the $10 welcome bonus. Guess I was wrong since you pointed it out on Jade's post.  I'll log into computer so I can cross post out.

So they get the $10 credit that's good. But loose alot of other savings compared to old rewards. So really same thing. Wasting breath to convince people to switch over lol. Regardless of the $10 credit the auto-pay and old loyalty were key in convincing people to switch.  I would say that those two rewards were main highlights regardless of the $10 signup bonus. Which are both gone now. Although Loyalty somewhat remains with $10 in points per year regardless of how many years you stay.

@Tahiti wrote:

plus 5 points whenever the new online account is setup (normally not long after new client activate).

Hi @Tahiti  I just not sure if the 5 points Welcome bonus is for US who switch over from old to new system or everyone , even new customers, who join Public Point will get the 5 points to start

Tahiti

@BeachNBeer 

@hTideGnowis correct!!  The way I understood the new system is that NEW client get $10 credit (same as old, FOR NOW!) plus 5 points whenever the new online account is setup (normally not long after new client activate).

I do agree that the old reward system is better than the new point system.  However, for new client who has no choice, it's not too bad as there's "discount" in using point to "puchase" Addons.  Comparison :

1.  $5/500 Canada Wide LD remains 5 points, ALL other $15/xxx minutes LD only 10 points(33.3% savings).

2.  $5/200MB Canadian data remains 5 pt., $15/1GB Canadian data needs only 10 points(33.3% savings).

3.  US Data (all 10 days packages):

-  $10/250MB US data needs only 5 points(50% savings)

-  $15/500MB US data needs only 10 points(33.3% savings)

-  $20/1GB US data needs only 15 points(25% savings)

4.  US Roaming (all 10 days packages):

-  $20/unlimited US talk, text and 250MB bundle needs only 15 points(25% savings)

-  $15/unlimited US talk and text bundle needs only 10 points(33.3% savings)

-  $8/unlimited US talk only needs only 5 points(37.5% savings)

-  $8/unlimited US text only needs only 5 points(37.5% savings)

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @BeachNBeer 

Where did you see the 5 points on the new system?

Jade message still talked about the $10

Introducing Public Points Rewards - Community (publicmobile.ca)

Refer-a-Friend

1 point every 30 days / active friend you referred

Refer a friend to Public Mobile, and you’ll receive one point for every 30 days your friend stays with us. 

Your friend will also receive a one-time $10 credit when they use your referral code.

Note: your referral code can be found on your My Rewards homepage. 

Every 30 days from your renewal date

Need Help? Let's chat.