cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent Public Mobile roaming experience in Maui, HI

Slothie
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I got back from Maui, HI.  Was there for 9 days and stayed in Kihei area.

I bought the US Roaming 15-day add-on before I left.  When the plane landed in Maui, I turned off airplane mode.  It took about 1 or 2 minutes before my phone "roamed" to T-Mobile.  I then remembered to enable mobile data roaming.  Data worked great, perfect for maps.  The entire trip was able to make and take voice calls, and I had data no problem.  I just used data for maps and looking stuff up mostly, no videos.

I have no coverage problems in Kihei, Wailea, Lahina, Paia, Kannapalli.  But further south where the lava fields are, I had no coverage whatsoever (I wasn't expecting any there anyways).

Bottom line: If you're headed to Maui and concerned about roaming coverage, it was excellent.  I had no issues whatsoever.  I didn't test data speed, but I had data for maps and general web surfing, which is good for me.

12 REPLIES 12

Slothie

OK that's good to know!  I knew Public Mobile was rolling out VoLTE sometime in 2023, wasn't sure when.

That's great, your account has been updated to VoLTE which may have played a role in your success with making phone calls in Hawaii. 

Slothie

My phone says LTE+ now at home. When I make voice call to voice mail, it stays the same, LTE+.

Assuming your home now? Does your phone stay on LTE when you make a phone call, or does it fallback to 3G? You can usually see this by turning off wifi, depending on your phone or course. 

Slothie

Not sure.  Said T-Mobile on my phone, and voice calls were ok.  Good enough for me.  Voice quality wasn't poor, nor was it extremely excellent either.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

@Slothie Were you connected a 3G tower or 4G tower when making calls? I.e. were you upgraded to VoLTE yet

drsiha
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I went to Kona and Honolulu last August.

I am using an imported phone, so no VoLTE whatsoever.

@drsiha 

Thanks for confirming your Hawaii experience.

curious, when did you go ?  did you just come back? did you have VoLTE when you were there?

drsiha
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Same here. My experience with Public Mobile US roaming in Hawaii is perfect.

Slothie

Yes, as I mentioned I was able to make and take voice calls.  Sound quality was ok.  Yes I had the talk and data USA roaming add-on.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Slothie   thanks for sharing your experience

do you have Talk roaming too?  did it work?

Need Help? Let's chat.