cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving texts while abroad

msabeysekera
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Plan to travel to South Asia. Can I receive and send texts messages while travelling abroad ?.Not sure what unlimited international text available in my existing plan (Do I have to be in Canada to receive/send international  txts ?)

Regards

msabeysekera

6 REPLIES 6

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@msabeysekera 

It's relatively straightforward to call forward your pm number to a voip provider like fongo or textnow as long as you choose a Canadian phone number and you don't connect to the 2G network in the US (on a stopover). 

Text forwarding is more onerous requiring an app like Mighty Text and your Sim card remaining in a working phone in Canada that remains powered on preferably plugged in to a charger/outlet at all times. Texts can also be viewed by logging into your Mighty Text account online.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

PM does not provide service outside of this continent.

International SMS works ONLY why you are in Canada: you can send and receive them.

For calls there is a convoluted way to get calls forwarded while you are out of country but for SMS I doubt it.

If I really was so desperate to receive SMS/calls while abroad, I would leave my phone/SIM with a relative/trusted friend and ask them to type/call on my voip app.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@msabeysekera 

The international text is good for sending text message while you are in Canada.  PM has only US roaming add-ons and does not have any roaming add-ons for other countries. 

My family members uses Signal app on smartphone to communicate using wifi at the airport or hotel back ro Canada before getting local SIM card.  You can also us WhatsApp IN in the similar way. You can continue to use your Signal or WhatsApp account on local SIM with your family and friends as if you are still in Canada..  They don't need to change their Signal or WhatsApp configuration.

For banking 2FA, I install Fongo app to receive text message from my bank.  You need to test it before leaving Canada because some Canadian banks do not work with Fongo text.  But it works with my bank.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @msabeysekera   PM only provide service in Canada and roaming service in US.  No service in South Asia or other countries

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@msabeysekera   Sorry, PM doesn't offer roaming options outside of US and the international texts applies only for sending or receiving those texts while in Canada.

Your best option is a local SIM or voip service like Whatsapp, Skype or TextNow.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@msabeysekera   sorry, the unlimited international text is for you to text FROM canada

When you are aboard, you need Roaming service, but PM does not provide roaming service other than US.  So, you won't get Pm service.  You will have to use local data sim and some VoIP service like TextNow when you traval

Need Help? Let's chat.