cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving texts outside of Canada?

intez
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've looked up this forum, as well as the plans pages, also experienced myself, but would like to ask for verification:

You can't receive texts when you're outside the country, am i correct?

I'm trying to receive sms verification codes for various things, most has workarounds, e.g. emails, but financial institutions, especially paypal, wouldn't let me, now i can't even login. Are there any solutions, or workarounds that you may know of? I'd be out of the country for at least a few more months and this is slowly becoming a huge concern.

TIA

7 REPLIES 7

intez

@darliciousalmost forgot... thanks for the headsup!

@intez 

Awesome....looks like @geopublic came up with the solution for you? I you think so you may want to accept his post as the one.....

intez

@geopublic 

I can now only login to my paypal account through the app, but not through web on a pc. when i login and select "verify with a different way", it doesn't show any other options. I guess I can't really do anything? or are there still ways to get past this?

Edit: I just tried resetting my password and paypal let me in. problem solved.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@intez  PayPal supports authenticator apps for 2FA so you can use that instead of a verification text. Depending on your Financial institution your can use the question/answer option ot provide an international number for 2FA.

intez

@popping 

i've already left, in fact already out of canada for a few months. is this still gonna work?

anw im gonna try this afterwards

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@intez 

Before you leave Canada, you can install Fongo app on your phone and test the sms verification code(s) you want to receive using Fongo app over WiFi.

@intez wrote:

I've looked up this forum, as well as the plans pages, also experienced myself, but would like to ask for verification:

You can't receive texts when you're outside the country, am i correct?

I'm trying to receive sms verification codes for various things, most has workarounds, e.g. emails, but financial institutions, especially paypal, wouldn't let me, now i can't even login. Are there any solutions, or workarounds that you may know of? I'd be out of the country for at least a few more months and this is slowly becoming a huge concern.

TIA

You can only receive text messages while you're in Canada or the U.S.

Need Help? Let's chat.